would and IVA affect our mortgage

4 posts Page 1 of 1

pe.s

Post by pe.s » Wed Jul 18, 2007 9:15 am
if i were to arrange an iva would it affect our mortgage,ie would the building society become alarmed by this arrangement?

Oliver

Post by Oliver » Wed Jul 18, 2007 9:32 am
An IVA will not concern the building society as there will be a provision put in place which will allow a budget for your to pay your mortgage. The only way in which your mortgage will be affected by an IVA is that (i) you will likely have to release equity at the end of the IVA if you can, meaning you may have to remortgage and (ii) if the creditors feel you are over expending on your mortgage they may ask you to cut the cost down. Creditors seem to have drawn the line at c40% of your income being used to pay your mortgage, any higher than that and you may risk having to cut back on your mortgage payments. This can be done through, switching all or part of your mortgage to interest only, taking a cheaper interest rate, or increasing your mortgage term (repayment mortgages only).

Best Regards
Oliver

Thomas Charles and Co Ltd.
Experts in personal debt solutions.
Read customer feedback at: www.thomascharles.com/about_us.asp
Best Regards
Oliver

MelanieGiles

Industry Expert
Post by MelanieGiles » Wed Jul 18, 2007 10:13 am
Your building society would have no need to know about the IVA, as they are a secured creditor and will rely on their security for ongoing payments.

Regards, Melanie Giles, Insolvency Practitioner for over 20 years.

For further details contact me at http://www.melaniegiles.com and view my IVA blog at: http://melaniegiles.blogs.iva.co.uk
Regards, Melanie Giles, Insolvency Practitioner

iva_squirrel

Post by iva_squirrel » Wed Jul 18, 2007 10:40 am
Hi pe.s

An IVA wont affect your mortgage as it is a secured loan and a budget will be provided on your monthly expenditure.
The fact is that if theres a property involved in an IVA some equity may have to be released at the end of the IVA.

Regards,
Michelle P.
4 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “mortgages”