What can Bank Debit Visa cards NOT do,that ccs can

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
20 posts Page 1 of 2

flamingate

Post by flamingate » Fri Dec 06, 2013 6:23 am
What can a Bank Debit VISA card NOT DO,that a credit card can do? Traveling Abroad?

If you have a bank account card, (for a basic bank account - no overdraft etc), which has the 16 digit Visa debit card

or a credit card,

Then what can the Credit card do that a Visa debit card CANNOT do ?

- Especially if you travel abroad often, from UK to USA, to Canada, to Australia, to China ?
(and want to use the card abroad, for purchases, paying for food out, and shopping abroad.)

Can the debit card be used in them countries + more, without any problem? (it is a basic account, with a 16 digit VISA card)

(i know fees will differ)

luluj

Forum Expert

Post by luluj » Fri Dec 06, 2013 6:33 am
You will be ok using a debit card abroad, however your bank may want you to inform them of where you are going so that transaction from various countries are not stopped as potential fraud.
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt

There is a solution for everyone .... Just need to stay positive !

Look at my blog "All I wanted was a baby"

UpToMyNeckInIt

Post by UpToMyNeckInIt » Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:36 am
One huge advantage that credit cards have over debit cards is the free 'Section 75' purchase protection on anything costing more than £100. Read more here:

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/shoppi ... -purchases

...you don't get that with a debit card.
My opinions are just that: Based on my experience and being a self-employed IVA customer.

Hair_bobbles

Post by Hair_bobbles » Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:02 am
You can use your visa debit card anywhere & is covered by something called " chargeback".

The " which" consumer guide has detailed information about charge back V section 75.
IVA COMPLETED & CLEAN CREDIT FILE.

An old bible proverb says this: the rich one rules the poor, and the borrower is a slave to the lender.

How true are those words of wisdom.

Skippy

Post by Skippy » Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:27 am
You won't be able to hire a car using a debit card. When we went to the US we had to give credit card details even though the car was included in the package.

MikeyM

Post by MikeyM » Fri Dec 06, 2013 12:17 pm
font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:<hr height="1" noshade>Originally posted by flamingate

What can a Bank Debit VISA card NOT DO,that a credit card can do?

Get you into loads of debt [:D]

Hair_bobbles

Post by Hair_bobbles » Fri Dec 06, 2013 3:41 pm
Exactly!!

I think unless you are travelling a bit further afield as skippy 's highlighted! A debit card does exactly the same as a credit card except you're spending money you've got.

I've never had a problem using my debit card in Spain ,but I always ring the bank to let them know I'll be using it over there.
Chargeback on a debit card gives you the same protection as section 75.

An old bible proverb says this: the rich one rules the poor, and the borrower is a slave to the lender.

sponge

Post by sponge » Fri Dec 06, 2013 4:47 pm
Not all debit cards are equal. for example a nationwide cash card visa debit card, cannot be used abroad. A nationwide flex account visa debit card I believe you can

Skippy

Post by Skippy » Fri Dec 06, 2013 4:56 pm
You're right Sponge - the Flex Account debit card can be used overseas. They no longer have free cash withdrawals with that card though, you need the Flex Plus (paid) account for that).

If you are going abroad the Metro Bank account is a good one as neither their debit or credit cards have foreign transaction fees. The problem is they are only in the South East at the moment.

martinw

Post by martinw » Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:01 pm
font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:<hr height="1" noshade>Originally posted by flamingate

What can a Bank Debit VISA card NOT DO,that a credit card can do? Traveling Abroad?

If you have a bank account card, (for a basic bank account - no overdraft etc), which has the 16 digit Visa debit card

or a credit card,

Then what can the Credit card do that a Visa debit card CANNOT do ?

- Especially if you travel abroad often, from UK to USA, to Canada, to Australia, to China ?
(and want to use the card abroad, for purchases, paying for food out, and shopping abroad.)

Can the debit card be used in them countries + more, without any problem? (it is a basic account, with a 16 digit VISA card)

(i know fees will differ)
For my bank of scotland/nationwide accounts - I cannot withdraw cash outside of the UK. There are also some restrictions on offline transactions (where the card machine can't connect to be bank, eg on a train, some pay at pump)

Martin

UpToMyNeckInIt

Post by UpToMyNeckInIt » Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:48 pm
...good to know that 'chargeback' also applies to purchases under £100.

Would be even better if it was law like s75, rather than a code of practice.

Skippy mentions a good point with car hire as well. Similarly, I have stayed in hotels that specifically require a credit card.

Totally understand the reluctance of anyone in an IVA to be 'tempted' by a credit card, but if used responsibly, they make your life just that little bit more convenient.

Regardless, always good to have a mix of 2-3 credit/debit cards on you: How many times have you gone to pay for something and your card has been declined for no good reason?

NatWest and RBS 'Cyber-Monday' customers - anyone?

My NCP car park machine spits my 'Secure Trust' pre-paid mastercard back at me, as do some 'pay at pump' fuel stations.

...So always nice, if you can get one, to have another debit/credit card as a back-up.
My opinions are just that: Based on my experience and being a self-employed IVA customer.

Hair_bobbles

Post by Hair_bobbles » Sun Dec 08, 2013 12:22 am
Touch wood- I've never had any problems with my debit cards ( I have 2) but mostly I operate in cash.

& I have to say I think I've been pretty lucky on the hotel front so far when I've had to book a room for hubby when he's staying away- mostly tho I'll book him into premier inn's ( he says the beds are comfy)

I do take the point about the credit cards though & if I am ever likely to be traveling to New York ,,,,I know I will have to apply for that dreaded piece of plastic !!

martinw

Post by martinw » Sun Dec 08, 2013 1:33 pm
I have a family member (whos much more intelligent and money savvy than me), who as I understand it has never had a credit card. He seems to get on fine when he goes abroad and travels in the UK

I can't see any reason why a hotel or hire card company can't do what they do with a debit card. As I understand it they pre-authorize the card for a certain value, they then either charge the right amount at the end (which could be 0 if you pay in cash say). This should work fine with a debit card, so long as you have the amount needed to pre-auth, and can live with not being able to spend his money until the end of your trip.

I have had a debit card pre-authed in eastern europe about 5 years ago with no issue at all

The key maybe between different types of debit cards (visa v maestro, cash withdrawal rules, offline v online etc). The ones that come with a basic bank account while still say a visa debit, can be much more restricted than a full current account visa debit card

for instance see visa service codes below
First digit
1: International interchange OK
2: International interchange, use IC (chip) where feasible
5: National interchange only except under bilateral agreement
6: National interchange only except under bilateral agreement, use IC (chip) where feasible
7: No interchange except under bilateral agreement (closed loop)
9: Test

Second digit
0: Normal
2: Contact issuer via online means
4: Contact issuer via online means except under bilateral agreement

Third digit
0: No restrictions, PIN required
1: No restrictions
2: Goods and services only (no cash)
3: ATM only, PIN required
4: Cash only
5: Goods and services only (no cash), PIN required
6: No restrictions, use PIN where feasible
7: Goods and services only (no cash), use PIN where feasible

Martin
Last edited by martinw on Sun Dec 08, 2013 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

martinw

Post by martinw » Sun Dec 08, 2013 2:46 pm
in case it interests anyone, here are some service codes from my cards

Bank of Scotland (basic account) - 222
lloyds (full account)- 221
lloyds contactless(full account)- 201
nationwide (basic account)-221
santander(old full account with overdraft etc)- 201
Barclay card visa platinum (cut up now)-201

201 - Can use abroad (use chip where possible), normal auth (offline an online), goods and cash no restrictions

221 - Can use abroad (use chip where possible), online auth only, goods and cash no restrictions

222 - Can use abroad (use chip where possible), online auth only,goods only no cash withdrawals

offline auth - merchant doesn't have to check with bank in realtime, useful say on a train where there's no communications link

online auth - merchant must check with your bank in realtime (like electron cards)

Martin

Hair_bobbles

Post by Hair_bobbles » Sun Dec 08, 2013 3:24 pm
Hi Martin

Where do I look for the service codes on my stuff.

I'm assuming I'm service code 201. I've been able to use my debit card everywhere.

20 posts Page 1 of 2
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”