What are your top ten IVA survival tips?

4 posts Page 1 of 1

ordinary_world

Post by ordinary_world » Sat Jan 19, 2008 2:56 pm
Congratulations to all those who have completed their IVA or are nearing the finish line! You must feel sooo relieved and elated.

I've still got 4.5 years to go...so just at the beginning of the journey. I was therefore wondering whether those who have finished could offer the forum their top 10 survival tips......it would be sooo helpful!

Best

OW

- 'I wont cry for yesterday 'cause there's an ordinary world somehow I have to find...'
OW

- 'I wont cry for yesterday 'cause there's an ordinary world somehow I have to find...'

Lord Soth

Post by Lord Soth » Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:51 pm
I don't suggest these are the best tips but some might be helpful! Sorry I got carried away a bit; stopped at 15. And in no particular order.

1. Take a list when shopping for food. (Try not to stray! And never shop when hungry!)
2. Some meals can easily do for another day, e.g. I love stir-fry curry quorn - eaily freezable.
3. Buy a large "sack" of breadcakes and make sandwiches for the week(s) ahead and freeze them.
4. Use ebay if you have surplus goods to sell.
5. Combine your gas and electricity with one provider and pay by direct debit.
6. Offer a lift to work colleagues or car share.
7. Cancel Sky and get a freeview hard drive recorder. You can still access lots of free channels (and even Sky if really needed).
8. Use your local library.
9. Combine broadband, home telephone, and mobile if possible (might be difficult, if not impossible if already in an IVA)
10. Try to put some money away every day. Even as little as 50p a day will produce £182.50 after a year.
11. I still manage to go to my local cinema through an unlimited card which costs £11.99 a month. I think that's good value and a relatively inexpensive perk. But remember to take a soft drink with you and don't purchase anything at the cinema!
12. Work overtime if circumstances allow.
13. Strive for promotion in your job - IVAs are not for ever and you will retain a good proportion of any addional pay.
14. Don't stop all treats for yourself! (e.g. see 11 above).
15. And keep reading this site too!

ordinary_world

Post by ordinary_world » Sat Jan 19, 2008 9:59 pm
This is superb - many thanks for the tips Lord Soth!!!

OW

OW

Jinx

Post by Jinx » Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:33 am
I work shifts so have four days off a week... I have a couple of mates who are builders/ plumbers etc and there is always the market for the odd days work for a lacky in exchange for a couple of tax free pennies in the back pocket! Helps keep me fit too!

I had two days work last week at £60 a day for knocking walls down on a house renovation job of my mates! I got paid to destroy someone elses house with a sledge hammer! GREAT FUN!
Last edited by Jinx on Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
its a marathon not a sprint!

I'm out of my mind but please leave a message!
4 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “money saving tips”