What a difference a year makes!

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
34 posts Page 1 of 3

littlefi

Post by littlefi » Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:35 am
I have to say this time last year, we were falling on our knees financially, my business was struggling and then the snow crippled my usual best month of the year, each month the bills were due I couldn't sleep because I couldn't work out how to pay them. Yes I still spent money I didn't need to, I didn't budget, to be honest I didn't know how to, how shameful huh?

I remember my main present from my mum not arriving for me for Christmas day and I was so sad as I didn't have a present to open on Christmas day! I look back on that and don't even recognise myself now ha ha

This Christmas I will sleep fine cos I can pay my bills. I still won't have a present to open Christmas day as mum has bought me some shoes I wanted so I have them already and me and OH don't buy presents, we don't 'need' anything and why waste the money. Instead we will wake up Christmas day and just enjoy me, OH and mum being together after her health scare this year.

I suppose what I'm saying is that finally at the age of 45 I've realised what is important in life and it's not stuff you can buy, yes sadly it's taken me that long, but hey I got there!

I'm not a saint, I still want stuff, I just realise I don't need stuff! It's a good situation to be in, it's not easy but it's good
"It is never too late to be what you might have been"
Fiona

plasticdaft

Forum Expert

Post by plasticdaft » Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:12 am
Much better place to be Fiona.

Paul
Discharged today the 8th feb 2012. View is much brighter now.
Continuing to rebuild our credit worthiness.

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:15 am
Agree. I shall be glad when the first quarter of next year has gone, so many stressful things going on at the moment.
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.
http://kallis3.blogs.iva.co.uk

chas.m

Post by chas.m » Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:19 am
I know what you mean Fi, Im skint but this will be the best xmas we will have had for years, i actually had £3 in my pocket for a month and did not spend any of it, Not like me.
If i listened to my Mom and Dad i would not be in the mess i am in now.

Ivaniva

Post by Ivaniva » Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:21 am
What a nice post.
I keep telling all my family not to buy us Christmas presents or only something simple and inexpensive. A bottle of wine would be geat! I know they cannot affort it and it frightens me that they are using credit cards to buy presents.I don't have to worry about my finances now but I do worry my about my family's spending.
Final payment made Dec 2011.
Certificate of Completion arrived 26th Sept 2012

Dan.47

Post by Dan.47 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:24 am
I seem to buy more at Christmas than I ever did pre IVA. Can't wait for my first Christmas after it is completed if I was to save my monthly payments from the date of my last payment to Christmas, i would have a whopping £3500 to spend.

littlefi

Post by littlefi » Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:25 am
So true Ivaniva, I just said to OH people are getting into debt to buy presents that aren't wanted a lot of the time. We used to do that for years. Now we buy for my mum, OH's mum is no longer with us. We have a couple of close relatives we buy a token gift for. We also have an agreement between all our friends, no presents, we've all been skint on different years, so we just said no we'll spend the money on a drink together!!
Fiona

littlefi

Post by littlefi » Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:26 am
Wow Dan that would be a heck of a Christmas, mind you I'd rather go on holiday [:D]
Fiona

Ivaniva

Post by Ivaniva » Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:35 am
I aggree littlefi. I'm looking forward to a good holiday.
Final payment made Dec 2011.
Certificate of Completion arrived 26th Sept 2012

footiemad

Post by footiemad » Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:59 am
Great post Fiona and so true. Glad your mum is spending christmas with you afterall that IS your best pressie after that scare you had a couple of months ago x

Tina Shortland

Post by Tina Shortland » Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:49 am
What a great thread - its good to take stock of where you are now compared to how things were. So pleased Fiona that you will have your loved ones around you - what better Christmas pressie than that. I remember one Christmas thinking it might be my last with Mum and it was heartbreaking but thankfully everything came back clear and she is still winning her fight. I think we can all learn to value life and people more, and money and things less. Its hard for those still spending more than they need though to break the habit. There would have been a time when you all would never have thought you could have such a good Christmas costing so much less!

:-)
Regards, Tina Shortland, Debt Advisory Manager for Melanie Giles at Debt Advice TV.

If you’re looking for effective debt related information, articles and news, then go now to our on-line advice service at www.debtadvicetv.com

If you’re ready to ask us for specific advice or help, then get in touch at www.call-me.debtadvicetv.com so you can start to free yourself from the stress and anxiety of overwhelming debt.

littlefi

Post by littlefi » Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:01 am
Very true Tina and so glad your mum is ok.

I agree valuing people more and money less is a great lesson to learn and I now wish I could explain it to all those caught in the trap the sad case is everyone has to learn it themselves in their own time
Fiona

MrsR

Post by MrsR » Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:16 pm
Fantastic post Littlefi, and I shall be glad to get started and count done the months as we go!

I agree that christmas has got very expensive as it is, and I come from a large family, but explaining to them to not buy a lot seems to get ignored, and knowing how much these things cost makes it worse !!!! i kind of want to shout - 'Don't use credit', but they'd ignore me anyway !
Started IVA 27th Feb 2012 - Due to complete 27th Jan 2018 !!

Full & Final submitted and accepted 30th March 2015, paid 10th April 2015 - 3 yrs 1 month into IVA :)

Completion Certificate received- 30th April 2015!!

artemischild

Post by artemischild » Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:38 pm
Its funny isn’t how many people who post realised into their IVA period how naff they were at budgeting etc

I look back now, with 5 months to go of my IVA, just tipping over the ripe age of 30, wondering why i never learnt those skills of how to budget, why i found it ok to get the things i wanted without thinking their would be some financial consequences at the end?

I can say right now, with hand on heart, i will never allow myself to be in the position i was in 5 years ago, i will never have the belief that you can 'buy your way out of debt' and i will never ever say "its only this once!" when i see something i cant afford!

And i suppose that’s what most people get out of the IVA, apart from sorting out their financial situation is a big fat lesson on money, its management and how not to spend it!

Arty Farty
)O(
IVA completion and certificate received 08/10/2012!!!

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:36 pm
font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:<hr height="1" noshade>Originally posted by artemischild

Its funny isn’t how many people who post realised into their IVA period how naff they were at budgeting etc

I look back now, with 5 months to go of my IVA, just tipping over the ripe age of 30, wondering why i never learnt those skills of how to budget, why i found it ok to get the things i wanted without thinking their would be some financial consequences at the end?

I can say right now, with hand on heart, i will never allow myself to be in the position i was in 5 years ago, i will never have the belief that you can 'buy your way out of debt' and i will never ever say "its only this once!" when i see something i cant afford!

And i suppose that’s what most people get out of the IVA, apart from sorting out their financial situation is a big fat lesson on money, its management and how not to spend it!

Arty Farty
)O(
These days, Arty, you get presented with a credit card at 18 (or a debit card at 16) and never get the "feel" for real money or value. [:(]
My opinions are merely that .. opinions based on experience. Always seek professional advice.
IVA Completed 23rd July 2013 .... C.C. 10th January 2014
34 posts Page 1 of 3
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”