New Bank Account

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
24 posts Page 2 of 2

roadrunners

Post by roadrunners » Fri Nov 28, 2008 7:55 pm
As for the Co-op account we opened one 3 weeks ago and it took 1 week from application to account being opened. hope this helps and good luck
we'll make it !!

BJN

Post by BJN » Sat Nov 29, 2008 11:27 pm
At what point do you stop the Direct Debits from the old account. Or how do you stop the creditors taking out money from you old account whilst you are in the trasitional stage?

james.c

Post by james.c » Sat Nov 29, 2008 11:54 pm
If your going through IVA process, stop paying all creditors as to show no favorites and save that money for emergencys for when the IVA is accepted

Viki.W

Post by Viki.W » Sun Nov 30, 2008 12:12 am
Hey BJN,

If you have a loan with your old bank, they will probably keep trying to take it and then bounce it and then charge you for it. You can't cancel the direct debit. Don't worry though as this overdraft debt will be included in the IVA.

If you don't have a loan or credit card with your old bank, only maybe an overdraft, then cancel all your payments on that account and then just set up your essential ones on your new one.
If you would like to talk to me about your debt problems, please visit:
http://www.vincentbond.com/about_us_Viki_Warbrooke.asp

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Sun Nov 30, 2008 8:45 am
I was lucky that I never set up DD's for credit card bills, just loans. Apart from the HSBC one (which was my bank at the time), I never had anyone else try to take out a payment once I had cancelled.

Halifax did once take £34 from my savings account to offset against a £21,000 loan![:D]
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.
http://kallis3.blogs.iva.co.uk

TheMatrix

Post by TheMatrix » Sun Nov 30, 2008 9:43 am
The day I started my IVA, was the day I stopped making any creditor payments, and advised all creditors to contact my IP via a letter to them and then made two monthly payments to Thomas Charles before the IVA kicked in officially (Personally if I could go back to the start I would have gone straight to a IP and saved those two payments towards my IVA, but I did not know any better and obviously was not advised I could do this by TC at the time)

The phone calls started just as soon as those letters went out, but I just ignored them. MBNA tracked down my works number and called it. I went ape, they risked my job and thus the whole IVA by doing that despite them being told by letter that I had applied for the IVA.

Best to move accounts before you start the process, cause they may try to offset, but if you cannot then perhaps you could ask for a cheque and tell them you've closed the account?
We're willing to wipe the slate clean, give you a fresh start. All that we're asking in return is your cooperation.

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Sun Nov 30, 2008 9:49 am
I'd stopped paying two of them before my IVA started, it was just token payments. The rest were on a DMP so were ok. I stopped everything as soon as Paypal accepted us.

The only problem one we had then was Mercers.
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.
http://kallis3.blogs.iva.co.uk

UpToMyNeck

Post by UpToMyNeck » Sun Nov 30, 2008 5:10 pm
I sent off letters to all my creditors once I had appointed Melanie and her team as my IP asking them to direct any future correspondance to them. The only one to reply has been Barclaycard to say that they await copies of the relevant paperwork - all the others have carried on sending me statements and default notices, and phoning continually - especially Egg and MBNA. The nice lady at MBNA totally ignored my telling her I was applying for an IVA and said that it was better to come to an agreement with MBNA to make reduced payments. I respectfully pointed out that she had no way of knowing this without knowing about all my other creditors and if I cant afford to pay the others, then I cant afford to pay MBNA either! I'm still waiting for written confirmation of a loan balance from MBNA to get my proposal moving, and its been over a week now, and its so frustrating as this is the only thing holding it up! [:(!]
Non sibi sed omnibus

MelanieGiles

Industry Expert
Post by MelanieGiles » Sun Nov 30, 2008 5:24 pm
Keep chasing them - the sooner this is received the sooner we can start working on your proposal!
Regards, Melanie Giles, Insolvency Practitioner
24 posts Page 2 of 2
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”