personel question ?

37 posts Page 1 of 3

cat 1

Post by cat 1 » Sun Jul 13, 2008 6:05 pm
Hello All.
Caould I ask a personel question please? How much money have people got saved up? I know we're meant to have contingency money.I just wondered how much.What reasonable when it comes to annual review.I have approx £300.Keep trying to save more but I keep having to go into it for various reasons.It's a combination of medical allownaces, clothing allowances and any childcare allowance I've not had to pay.Is this reasonable do you think? What would happen if anyone managed to save £1000 plus? Thanks Cat [:I]

Viki.W

Post by Viki.W » Sun Jul 13, 2008 6:10 pm
Hey cat, the more you can save the better I say. Guaranteed something will break, need repairing, need replacing etc. X
If you would like to talk to me about your debt problems, please visit:
http://www.vincentbond.com/about_us_Viki_Warbrooke.asp

Jan01

Post by Jan01 » Sun Jul 13, 2008 6:12 pm
I don't have any contingency money now had a little amount at the beginning but it has all gone. I do worry about things happening now like car repair bills etc. My mum is great and will bail me out in an absolute emergency but she is a pensioner so I don't like to ask unless things are desperate.

Jan
Nothing you can buy feels as good as not being in debt.

sblack

Post by sblack » Sun Jul 13, 2008 6:13 pm
Hi Cat1
You are very lucky to have built up that contingency. We are in the fifth month of our IVA and have not been able to save a penny as every time we have a bit of contingency something happens and we have to use it.
My car has needed quite a bit of work on it and as we are only allowed £35 per month for two cars we have had to use other allowances to pay the bills.
How long has it taken you to build up your savings if you don't mind me asking.
"Life is too short to wake up in the morning with regrets. So love the people who treat you right, forget about the ones who don’t and believe that everything happens for a reason. If you get a chance, take it. If it changes your life, let it. Nobody said that it’d be easy, they just promised it would be worth it."

cat 1

Post by cat 1 » Sun Jul 13, 2008 6:22 pm
Hi Viki.No I don't mind you asking.We've been in IVA since Nov 07.The money we've saved is largely from child care and it scares me to be honest.I have to claim enough to pay for each night after school and school holidays.However, if she goes to a friens after school or doesn't need minding in the holidays well the contingency builds up.I'm really worried that this will be taken off us at the first review though.This year I have been particulary fortunate with childcare saving and we only have 3 of the 6 weeks to cover this summer hilidays.Scared the IP will say we don't need it and we should have the saving facility! Cat

LoneRanger

Post by LoneRanger » Sun Jul 13, 2008 6:57 pm
I dont think they should have any right to it. You have managed to save from other allowances which in my opinion are far to low anyway.

We are told that we are allowed £35 for car repairs and £24 for medical expenses. All you have done is saved this. I think you will find most IP's would just praise you for saving like that whilst in an IVA.

Well done and keep it going-you may really need it one day [:)]
Steve.

IVA approved!

Viki.W

Post by Viki.W » Sun Jul 13, 2008 7:05 pm
I think Cat was replying to you sblack not me.[:)] X
If you would like to talk to me about your debt problems, please visit:
http://www.vincentbond.com/about_us_Viki_Warbrooke.asp

Shining

Post by Shining » Sun Jul 13, 2008 7:22 pm
Sadly I've got hardly any £30 in a separate account that I'm putting by and hopefully adding to for daughters birthday in October. I'm currently trying to clear the arrears of my IVA before trying to build up my contingency. I'm sure one day I'll have some. Good luck to all.
IVA final payment left the bank on the 26th January 2013...looking forward to a debt free future.

rollercoasterride

Post by rollercoasterride » Sun Jul 13, 2008 8:20 pm
At the end of the day, how will anybody find out how much you've got saved anyway? Or do you need to provide savings account statements as well?

quark2008

Post by quark2008 » Sun Jul 13, 2008 8:31 pm
That's an interesting point you have made cat 1. I have some put away in my friends safety box thing. However it's been in there for years. For utter emergencies, and my own funeral god forbid.

LoneRanger

Post by LoneRanger » Sun Jul 13, 2008 8:35 pm
good point rollercoasterride - withdraw it and keep it in a tin at home-who will know.
Steve.

IVA approved!

poppy

Post by poppy » Sun Jul 13, 2008 8:37 pm
Hi, I've been in an IVA for just over a year and I have £285 saved. Not much but I try and keep it at about that level just incase something happens like my car breaks down etc. I try and save my contingency money each month and cut down on food to save a bit more.

c.j

Post by c.j » Sun Jul 13, 2008 9:17 pm
just started my Iva and havent managed to save a penny even though i didnt pay creditors last month. will have to make sure i save on shopping next month though as there doesnt seem to be spare from anywhere else.
Iva finished !

luluj

Forum Expert

Post by luluj » Mon Jul 14, 2008 6:08 am
As I type I have £500 - this is made up from contingency and spending less on some of our allowances each month - although with my car problems at the moment I do not expect to have it for long!!!!
I do not have it in an account - although a little interest would be nice, my preference is to have it in cash in the home so that I can use it when i need to and it does not appear on any statements etc as a lump sum - I withdraw my contingency and personal hygiene money every month and put it away!
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt

There is a solution for everyone .... Just need to stay positive !

Look at my blog "All I wanted was a baby"

plasticdaft

Forum Expert

Post by plasticdaft » Mon Jul 14, 2008 6:52 am
WE have a dog food tin in the cupboard with ours in it(cleaned out of course)(well it will be when we put some back in after vets bills and MOT time!!!)
Discharged today the 8th feb 2012. View is much brighter now.
Continuing to rebuild our credit worthiness.
37 posts Page 1 of 3
Return to “postings for july”