Doorstep Collections

31 posts Page 1 of 3

Shining

Post by Shining » Sun Jan 20, 2008 1:29 pm
Hi just had Mercers on the phone acting for Barclaycard, yes I know that I have missed 4 payments. Can I make a token payment he asked me 'no' is my reply, well the door step collectors may come and I can't stop them? I said listen to me for a minute about my situation and explained my proposal is signed and returned to my IP (they should have received it on Friday). I can do nothing now but wait and he said well there is no guarantee Barclaycard would vote yet at the meeting. At this point I did lie and say well sadly if the IVA is not agreed, I will go bankrupt straightaway (I won't without trying an alternative first). What I want to know is as he has shook me up a little, the doorstep collectors assuming they come do they have rights to remove my goods or to demand money that I so obviously haven't got? Can they enter my premises and if so what for? I wouldn't let them in but if they push in I won't have too much chance to get rid of them will I? I'm sure the meeting will be soon but in the interim I suppose I'm looking for reassurance that they won't come! The odd time and it is the odd time my daughter can be alone in the house she is 14, that is scary for me too.

http://isthereanend.blogs.iva.co.uk/cat ... tegorized/

15.3 this week!
IVA final payment left the bank on the 26th January 2013...looking forward to a debt free future.

zoe

Post by zoe » Sun Jan 20, 2008 2:51 pm
Hi There
They threatened this with me too - Surprise surprise they never showed!
Z
x

Zoe
x
Keep your chin up - everything happens for a reason!
View my blog http://zoes.blogs.iva.co.uk/

emma_t

Post by emma_t » Sun Jan 20, 2008 3:12 pm
Hi isthereanend

I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong, but I think its only collectors send with a court order can enter your property to remove goods.
I was thretened wit this also by Barclaycard when I had missed 2 payments, but no one came and they voted for my iva.
I found them to be bullies on the phone and tried to avoid speaking to them
I am sure someone will be along soon to clarify the above,
Take care
Emma x
Be positive & look after yourself, there are more important things in life than debts....

Best Wishes

Emma x

Adam Davies

Post by Adam Davies » Sun Jan 20, 2008 6:54 pm
Hi
I bet no one will not turn up
No one can remove items from your house without a court order and this would only be granted after a CCJ was made.
You are a long way off from this
Regards

Andy Davie
IVA.co.uk Spokesperson and Website Manager

About me:
http://www.iva.co.uk/andy_davie_profile.asp

IVA Helpline: 0800 197 4838
http://www.iva.co.uk/iva_helpline.asp
Andam Davies

depressed

Post by depressed » Sun Jan 20, 2008 6:59 pm
hi i had the same worries and have been threatened by lowells on behalf of littlewoods personal finance ,they were horrible ,they really upset me ,but andy put our minds at ease ,its good to know where you stand .They did call round but we were out thankgod !!! don't think they were bailiffs just people from lowells trying to frighten us ,they left a card and ive not heard from them for a few months now ,hopefully our iva is sorted out soon .

Beechy

Post by Beechy » Sun Jan 20, 2008 7:08 pm
Hi
Most mobile phones allow a recording to be made, so if you are being hassled by creditors why not just tell them that there call is being recorded.
You will soon see a change in their attitude, believe me

Dave Beech

Shining

Post by Shining » Sun Jan 20, 2008 7:27 pm
Thank you to all, they did shake me up but I've spoken to my husband and my daughter is home alone only for a minimal time one day of the week. Other days she knows to come to my work and meet me, so I've taken that risk away. The day she is at home, she knows to shut the curtains, lock the door and not answer the door to anyone. Her brother who is 20 is here but he's in bed as he works nights so she's never technically alone and can always wake him if anything does happen. I'll be so glad when all this is over. Many thanks for all your good advice and putting my mind at rest as ever x

http://isthereanend.blogs.iva.co.uk/cat ... tegorized/

15.3 this week!
IVA final payment left the bank on the 26th January 2013...looking forward to a debt free future.

JoeB

Post by JoeB » Sun Jan 20, 2008 7:34 pm
We have been in an IVAS for the past 6 months and as it was being prepared one of the darkest mements was a message like yours from mercers (Bcard was a creditor of ours as well) they will not turn up - just an appalling tactic to scare you - keep faith you are almost there!

pj69

Post by pj69 » Sun Jan 20, 2008 8:08 pm
Mercers will not turn up. They have no right to enter your property anyway wthout a curt order, and even then you should call the police. It's not like ta wnymore. Don't worry about the creditors meetig either. No-one responded to my propsal efore the meeting. The IP phoned up the smallest company for a response, they voted yes over the phone, and hey presto, it all began. There is no meeting, no-one responds, no-one cares anymore. Your proposal will be accepted if it 25% or more of the total debt. Relax.

Beechy

Post by Beechy » Sun Jan 20, 2008 9:12 pm
Hi isthereanend
What you have to remember is that most of the people on the phone are in call centres and have targets to achieve in terms of collection.

As regards to voting they are hardly likely to say that’s OK we always vote in favour, what would be the point in phoning

The chances of them ever leaving there office to come face to face is laughable, in fact I would ask them where they are calling from and ask them round for a brew.

The cheeky s*d*

Dave Beech

Adam Davies

Post by Adam Davies » Sun Jan 20, 2008 9:12 pm
Hi
Just to clarify that if only one creditor votes on the day and it is yes then your IVA is agreed.
If only one person votes on the day and say no and they hold more than 25% of your debt your IVA will be rejected.
If only one creditor votes and they say no and they hold less than 25% of your debt your IP will adjourn the creditors meeting for 14 days and canvass for yes votes
Regards

Andy Davie

About me:

Andam Davies

Beechy

Post by Beechy » Sun Jan 20, 2008 9:15 pm
Hi Andy
Just to clarify, IP's cannot canvass for yes votes, They can contact favourable creditors and remind them that they have not voted.

Dave Beech

Adam Davies

Post by Adam Davies » Sun Jan 20, 2008 9:30 pm
Hi
Dave,there not likely to canvass them for a no vote are they ? but I take your point
Regards

Andy Davie

About me:

Andam Davies

Beechy

Post by Beechy » Sun Jan 20, 2008 9:32 pm
Thanks Andy, we just have to be clear, hehehe

Dave Beech

lily

Post by lily » Sun Jan 20, 2008 11:03 pm
Hi Isthere

I had a postcard stating that someone would call at my home address and they gave the time as 8 am til 8pm. They didnt come, its a scare tactic, I was very uneasy all day but I didnt hide away, you have the right to refuse to enter into a verbal discussion with them, they say they are going to call to scare you into making a payment to stop this 'action'. If they do call ( 99.9999R chance they wont). Tell them politely to go away, you are in the process of addressing the issue by way of a legal aggrement, if they dont leave threaten to call the police. Saying youre recording the conversation on the phone is very good as I did this and they hung up.

Good luck I hope its all over for you soon.

lily
Last edited by lily on Sun Jan 20, 2008 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lily
31 posts Page 1 of 3
Return to “postings for january”