Mercers debt collection

32 posts Page 1 of 3

markss

Post by markss » Fri Feb 29, 2008 9:37 am
I have had this company asking for money on behalf littlewoods visa card £1,000 explained my situation that currently undergoing a iva (being reviwed by dfd close to sending out the proposal for me to sign) they say unless i make minimum payment of £35 they will arrange for a doorstep collector. i offered a small token payment each month of £5 they refused. has any one any knowledge of them and do they ever carry out these threats? i live in shared house and dont want them turning up. any advice really appreciated.

luluj

Forum Expert

Post by luluj » Fri Feb 29, 2008 9:44 am
Don't pay it - make a token payment that you can afford and refer them to your IP for more information. If you pay them and not your other creditors you will be seen to be favouring one more than the other!
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt

There is a solution for everyone .... Just need to stay positive !

Look at my blog "All I wanted was a baby"

chris.g

Post by chris.g » Fri Feb 29, 2008 9:46 am
Mercers is, as far as I know, part of Barclaycard. Littlewoods visa card is in association with Barclaycard-I know cos I used to work for Littlewoods on the finance dept. Surely the debt to Littlewoods should have been included in the IVA? You can't pay them and not your other creditors.....One of the experts will be along soon to advise you better.
Last edited by chris.g on Fri Feb 29, 2008 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
It's nice to be back......

markss

Post by markss » Fri Feb 29, 2008 9:56 am
thanks they are included in the iva list of creditors and are aware that dfd are handling my iva. i should add that the iva is in the very early stages ie it is being reviewed by dfd prior to sending me the draft proposal to check and sign. net week i think. silly thing is that this is my smallest debt yet my other main creditors are ver patient.

Lisa2009

Post by Lisa2009 » Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:13 am
Has DFD told you to stop paying? if so, just keep telling them that you are seeking proffessional advice and are hoping to enter an IVA. If a doorstep collector does come (which would take some time anyway) tell them the same.
The people at the call centres will try anything to make you pay. I believe they are on a commission.
Dont worry, you have taken the right steps to sort out your debt problems.
http://mrsskint.blogs.iva.co.uk/ 'Our Story'

Nil carborundum illegitimi

ianmillington

Post by ianmillington » Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:27 am
I think the standard DFD advice is to drip feed all the creditors with at least token payments until the proposal is filed in Court. Sound advice but I suppose you can't really blame a debt collector for trying to get a few extra quid out of you (and getting his 15% of course!).

Mrs S is right. Once they know you are entering an IVA, whilst they might make some noise that's all they are likely to do. Unless they've got a CCJ they can't make you pay anything.

Ian
Ian Millington
Insolvency Director
PDHL Ltd (formerly Personal Debt Helpline Ltd)
www.pdhl.co.uk

luluj

Forum Expert

Post by luluj » Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:39 am
We're with DFD and their advice was token payments only - and make sure it is was %'d against how much you owed to each creditor so no one was treated more favourable than anyone else.
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt

There is a solution for everyone .... Just need to stay positive !

Look at my blog "All I wanted was a baby"

Skippy

Post by Skippy » Fri Feb 29, 2008 11:54 am
I notice a common denominator in many threads where people are being chased for payments - Littlewoods! They seem to be one of the worst creditors to deal with. Luckily they have left me alone recently, but I'm sure they'll be back!

Good luck with getting this sorted out Markss

buttercup

Post by buttercup » Fri Feb 29, 2008 12:15 pm
Someone once posted that Mercers/Barclaycard often send through postcards saying they are going to do a doorstep collection, is this true? As B/card are a large creditor of mine.
As I have a very very nosey postman who I know will read it & will soon spread the word about what I have received never mind name in the paper everyone will know in the village which will be horrible for the family not just me.

ianmillington

Post by ianmillington » Fri Feb 29, 2008 12:32 pm
My people tell me that's true, Buttercup.

It's not very nice and, I suspect, isn't that far from harrassment.

ian
Ian Millington
Insolvency Director
www.pdhl.co.uk

buttercup

Post by buttercup » Fri Feb 29, 2008 1:01 pm
Thanks Ian

Trouble is I live in a small village & I know that everyone will know. Well not much I can do about it, I suppose it is the price you have to pay for running up debts & not being able to pay them. Does anyone know how long after your first month not paying B/card they start sending the postcards out? I am hoping my IVA will get accepted before they start. I had my first B/card default on in Feb and probably have another couple of months until a creditors meeting.

ianmillington

Post by ianmillington » Fri Feb 29, 2008 1:07 pm
I would speak to the IP and ask whether you should drip-feed the creditors to try to keep the defaults at bay. That might hold things back a bit.

ian
Ian Millington
Insolvency Director
www.pdhl.co.uk

buttercup

Post by buttercup » Fri Feb 29, 2008 1:18 pm
unfortunatley I can not afford to do so.
Thanks anyway

Shining

Post by Shining » Fri Feb 29, 2008 1:54 pm
Mercers were a pain while my IVA was being set up, they've left me alone to be fair now that it's been accepted but Capquest ring daily for my husband, think that's HSBC related.

Mercers told me I was having a doorstep collector call around, sent me lots of postcards and rang me almost daily but as soon as accepted nothing. I wish Capquest would get the message for my husband.
IVA final payment left the bank on the 26th January 2013...looking forward to a debt free future.

buttercup

Post by buttercup » Fri Feb 29, 2008 2:00 pm
Thanks

were the postcards very open about the debt?
32 posts Page 1 of 3
Return to “postings for march”