Our circumstances have changed

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
15 posts Page 1 of 1

clairewilk

Post by clairewilk » Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:28 pm
We are coming up to completing our second year of our IVA. We need to review everything as we are considering selling our home in order to pay it/most of it off. Is our IP the best person to go through all our options or should we seek more independent advise? Our circumstances have changed in that we are having to stay with our daughter who has cancer and it would make sense for us to share a rented home with her over the next couple of years whilst she needs our help as she is a single mother with a 8 month old baby. Our home is unsuitable as it just isn't big enough

Lisa2009

Post by Lisa2009 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:30 pm
Hi and welcome.

So sorry to hear about your daughter. Yes i would speak with your IP now and discuss that with him/her.
Heres hoping your daughter wwill make a full recovery xxx
http://mrsskint.blogs.iva.co.uk/ 'Our Story'

Nil carborundum illegitimi

Michael Peoples

Industry Expert
Post by Michael Peoples » Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:02 pm
I can only add my best wishes to Lisa's but I am sure your IP and creditors will be sympathetic to any offer of settlement given the circumstances. However, it may be difficult to sell in the current market so you could consider renting out the property until it sells and I am sure your IP will have no problem with this either.
Michael Peoples | McCambridge Duffy Insolvency Practitioners
http://www.mccambridgeduffy.com
If you would like to talk to me about proposing an IVA or have any questions at all please visit www.mccambridgeduffy.com

Declan at DebtFreeDirect

Post by Declan at DebtFreeDirect » Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:08 pm
I too would like to express my best wishes and to add what Lisa and Michael have said, its best to talk to your IP in the first intance.

Thanks
Declan Murray
Debt Advisor
Debt Free Direct - the UK's largest IVA provider.
http://www.debtfreedirect.co.uk/iva/

oscar

Post by oscar » Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:13 pm
I'd just like to wish you and your family all the best. Good luck Oscar x
http://rollercoaster.blogs.iva.co.uk/

need to smile today? go on check out my blogs - I'll add to them regularly
Our IVA's over YIPPEE unbelievable!Seems like yesterday it was approved despite everything

Broke of London

Post by Broke of London » Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:00 pm
My best friend has cancer and having her mummy around is a huge comfort and practical support. Both give each other so much strength and positivity. Look after your family and don't worry about your debts in the slightest. They're not important anymore. Your very capable IP will sort these out. xx

Shining

Post by Shining » Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:02 pm
I would like to send my best wishes to you all and would agree your IP will give you some good advice in respect of the IVA/house. x
IVA final payment left the bank on the 26th January 2013...looking forward to a debt free future.

MelanieGiles

Industry Expert
Post by MelanieGiles » Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:43 pm
I would almost guarantee that your IP will be as helpful as possible given the circumstances. This is such a horrible illness, and I pray that your daughter will recover and she will be much supported by the fact that you are on hand to help her and her daughter. What fab parents you are.
Regards, Melanie Giles, Insolvency Practitioner

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:10 pm
I'm so sorry to hear about your daughter Claire and I hope she makes a full recovery.

I am sure your IP will be very supportive.
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.
http://kallis3.blogs.iva.co.uk

luckycharm

Post by luckycharm » Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:37 pm
I hope your daughter makes a full recovery soon x

clairewilk

Post by clairewilk » Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:46 pm
Thank you everyone for your kind comments. We are very lucky as she has a high grade brain tumour but she had good surgery and her latest scan remains completely clear. Terribly low survival rate but some do survive and she has every chance of being one of the lucky few. x

clairewilk

Post by clairewilk » Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:49 pm
Hubby and I have sat down and had good look at things. We won't really benefit from selling now apart from not having debts hanging over us. So, we have decided to look into renting it out as this will make a big dent in our debts.

The Inland Revenue have put a condition on our arrangement that if we have not paid in full by end of term we have to sell our house then. Does anyone know if people are ever allowed to extend their agreement over a longer period to avoid having to lose their home?

Broke of London

Post by Broke of London » Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:51 pm
So pleased the surgery and recent scan went so well...all very positive for a good recovery. Having you around will help all the more too. Keep us updated xx

MelanieGiles

Industry Expert
Post by MelanieGiles » Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:21 am
I am sure that even HMRC would take a sympathetic and realistic view on this matter Claire, however try to persuade your IP to engage with them at an early stage so that they are kept in the loop.
Regards, Melanie Giles, Insolvency Practitioner

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Sat Feb 19, 2011 8:02 am
That's fantastic news about your daughter Claire, really pleased and I hope she continues to keep clear.

Totally agree with Mel's comments as well.
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.
http://kallis3.blogs.iva.co.uk
15 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”