Am so worried

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
7 posts Page 1 of 1

Blueskies

Post by Blueskies » Thu Nov 12, 2015 7:03 pm
Hello,

I'm so sorry for coming back on here and asking for help after not being around for a year.

When I was setting up my IVA last year - I genuinely completely forgot that my mother has had a name on my bank account for years. Basically in 2004 before all this mess began I went travelling and I used to be with Woolwich and to make things easier, they suggested she be named on my account just so she could pay money in for me as needed and transfer money into another account I had.

All was fine - completely forgot she was on there and then when Woolwich changed to Barclays, the account info went across.

In all this time and all the years, in taking out loans etc., mum's signature was never asked for, she wasn't named on my bank card or anything. At one stage it was discussed when I took out my first loan but they said as she wasn't a responsible person (wrong wording but) it didn't matter and I could take her off at any time. I planned to but then in 2013 she suffered a stroke and has been bedbound ever since and has vascular dementia with varying levels of being coherent, sometimes fine, sometimes she doesn't recognise me.

Only tonight have mum and dad brought this up - barclays have written to her saying she's liable. They traced her through our old address in Bristol.

I'm so scared, she hasn't played a part in my account since April 2005 and she's not in any fit state now to do anything.

They've placed it on hold. I've emailed McCambridge Duffy and I know they'll come back to me but tonight I don't know what to do.

I suffer from depression and it feels like lately everything is going wrong and I'd managed after a fashion to deal with all this and hadn't told a soul about it and now I've not told mum and dad am in an IVA yet but that I'd try and sort it. But I'm scared I won't be able to. It was a completely genuine thing - since 2013 have been so preoccupied with mum having dementia and the stroke that it hadn't even occurred to me and I repeat she's never been required to sign loan agreements etc.,

Sorry this is so long - just don't know where to turn.

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Thu Nov 12, 2015 7:10 pm
Never apologise for coming back on here - it's what we are here for.

Michael Peoples will come back to you about this and will be able to help.

Please don't worry - there will be a solution and you may not have to tell your father about this if you don't want to but perhaps it would help if you came clean?
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.
http://kallis3.blogs.iva.co.uk

Blueskies

Post by Blueskies » Thu Nov 12, 2015 7:28 pm
Thank you so much. I just feel stupid and angry at myself and so mad for forgetting, i used to be spot on about stuff like this.

Just can't face telling mum and dad unless I have to, they have enough on their plate. Thanks again.

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Thu Nov 12, 2015 8:08 pm
I do know where you are coming from - I never told my parents at all.

Don't feel stupid or angry - it comes to us all in an IVA.

My father had dementia and my mother died after a hip operation so I know how hard it is to cope with all of that and your own problems.
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.
http://kallis3.blogs.iva.co.uk

recovering

Post by recovering » Thu Nov 12, 2015 8:43 pm
Blueskies I totally understand you not wanting anyone to know, have gone 3.5 years with no-one knowing. Luckily you are with a great firm who will hopefully be able to help

KAYKAY

Post by KAYKAY » Fri Nov 13, 2015 8:36 am
Kallis3,could this be signposted to Micheal Peoples, as I am concerned Blueskies may be stressing through the weekend, if no-one gets back to her by the end of today.

Blueskies, you are with a company that is held in high esteem by members of this forum. Please try not to worry. I am sure there will be a solution.
IVA Completed August 2011

Michael Peoples

Industry Expert
Post by Michael Peoples » Fri Nov 13, 2015 8:54 am
I am sure someone will be back in touch today but feel free to contact me directly. It does seem strange and perhaps the bank may agree to not pursue your mother given that she has signed nothing in years. It could be one for the financial ombudsman and it also may be worth taking legal advice.

How much are Barclays saying that she is liable for?
Michael Peoples | McCambridge Duffy Insolvency Practitioners
http://www.mccambridgeduffy.com
If you would like to talk to me about proposing an IVA or have any questions at all please visit www.mccambridgeduffy.com
7 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”