Pre employment checks

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
8 posts Page 1 of 1

Helping Hand

Post by Helping Hand » Mon Jun 15, 2015 7:14 pm
Hello everybody, hope everyone is good today?

I have a question about post IVA pre-employment checks. I am currently interviewing for roles with one of the big 4 consultancies and they have a pre-employment finance credit check. My IVA is no longer on my record and neither are any defaults, so if it's just the credit report they are checking then I should be fine.

However, if they ask me to disclose if I have ever been bankrupt or in AN IVA then this could potentially cause me problems.

1. What are people's experiences have they been refused jobs
2. Has anyone ever had an offer from either KPMG, PWC or Deloitte, or even Grant Thornton (who are on this forum) in which this question is explicitly asked?

It's really sad that even after we have been through the pain and tried to rebuild our futures that we are penalised in this way, I think IP's should definitely disclose this aspect to future applicants considering IVAs.

Any help from experts and fellow posters much appreciated!

Kind regards
Last edited by Helping Hand on Mon Aug 17, 2015 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lifenoteasy

Post by lifenoteasy » Mon Jun 15, 2015 7:35 pm
If they don't ask then it is not an issue.

There are no absolute guarantees I am afraid - except that if you got a job with any of them it will not be an easy time.
IVA started March 2011, Completed March 2016 and certificate issued 11 days after final payment. It was not always easy but then some of the best decisions aren't.

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Mon Jun 15, 2015 7:40 pm
It's a gamble. If they ask the question you must answer honestly as they might already know the answer. They may overlook the IVA, but will not overlook a dishonest application.
My opinions are merely that .. opinions based on experience. Always seek professional advice.
IVA Completed 23rd July 2013 .... C.C. 10th January 2014

doritos

Post by doritos » Mon Jun 15, 2015 7:42 pm
font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:<hr height="1" noshade>Originally posted by Foggy

It's a gamble. If they ask the question you must answer honestly as they might already know the answer. They may overlook the IVA, but will not overlook a dishonest application.
this right here, I'd just say yeah I had one, it finished on X date.

Michael Peoples

Industry Expert
Post by Michael Peoples » Tue Jun 16, 2015 9:21 am
We have done IVAs for employees of most of the big accountancy firms and generally they have been supportive. However, this has always been for existing members of staff and I am not sure how this would affect new employees.

Personally I would ring the HR departments of these companies and have a chat on a no names basis and see what they say. It may be that they only look at the current credit status and have no interest in historic problems in which case the question will never be asked and you are worrying for no reason.
Michael Peoples | McCambridge Duffy Insolvency Practitioners
http://www.mccambridgeduffy.com
If you would like to talk to me about proposing an IVA or have any questions at all please visit www.mccambridgeduffy.com

Rick71

Post by Rick71 » Tue Jun 16, 2015 9:38 am
I was refused a job due to my active IVA a couple of years ago. The full story is here:

http://www.iva.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=46243

As the job was in the finance sector, I could sort of understand why their policy was what it was - it was the way it was handled that annoyed me more than anything, in hindsight.

Post-IVA, I'm fairly sure that now it's no longer on your file, it shouldn't be an issue, and if they don't ask then it certainly isn't one. I'd think it's something you'd have to stay quiet about if you get the job though.

Good luck! [:)]
IVA? Best financial decision I ever made.

Shining

Post by Shining » Mon Aug 17, 2015 4:30 pm
As others say if they ask you'll need to disclose if they don't stay schtum.

Good luck
IVA final payment left the bank on the 26th January 2013...looking forward to a debt free future.

welshwiz

Post by welshwiz » Tue Aug 18, 2015 11:31 am
If this aspect had been pointed out to me before I took out IVA I would never have gone ahead as I work for a small company and have access to banking and internet banking, am now worrying when Barclays change the system they use it will all come to light. I feel my employer will be disappointed wit h me. Good luck with your applications will keep fingers crossed for you the question isn't asked
8 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”