santander-been accepted for a bank account

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
15 posts Page 1 of 1

andrea1968

Post by andrea1968 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:04 pm
woop, woop, just managed to switch bank account from think money to santander. Still a basic account and was quite happy with think money until the last 6 months. They have been a nightmare, taking there fee whenever they feel like it- over 20 quid - ringing me every 5 minutes to try and sell me insurance, cocky staff who are half my age speaking to me like I am 2 year old.
They have really gone downhill, quizzing me about our direct debits and my spending habits every time I had to get in touch with them. So yesterday, got online, tried santander as we have a savings account(no money in it) and previously a mortgage, always good service and on the ball and, hey presto, emailed me this morning to say we had been accepted for a joint account. So happy, we have been in the iva for 3 years now and never thought we could switch. Our debts are with a few of the major banks so would not have even tried to go there. So anyone stuck for a free account in an iva try santander. Sooo happy[:D]
Gonna ring think banking now and tell them they can take their account,attitude and fee and stick it where the sun dont shine (Actually will wait til the accounts been moved, dont want them putting more pressure on to stay with them.[:D]
full and final accepted January 2015

iva agreed; August 2010
iva would have completed; August 2017
extra year thank's to NRAM

joanna144

Post by joanna144 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:28 pm
I went to Santander at the beginning of my IVA they are really good. I have on online savings account and switch money between the accounts so my current account after direct debits never had more than £50 to withdraw. By the time my last payment had left my account I had begun a savings account only £350 over 7 years but it was always a nice feeling. I was in my branch the other day and the manager saw me and said when I get my completion paperwork they will upgrade my account and sort out my mortgage. 

Shining

Post by Shining » Wed Jan 29, 2014 4:23 pm
so glad you got sorted and you'll save money in the process as I assume Santander is free?

Fab for you and maybe like joanna they'll upgrade you once the IVA is over.
IVA final payment left the bank on the 26th January 2013...looking forward to a debt free future.

luluj

Forum Expert

Post by luluj » Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:53 pm
Great news - I have a basic account with them and have done since our IVA - I use for our "everyday emergency" account .... never had an issue with electron sales so fingers crossed it works out for you
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt

There is a solution for everyone .... Just need to stay positive !

Look at my blog "All I wanted was a baby"

andrea1968

Post by andrea1968 » Sat Mar 01, 2014 3:19 am
typical, think money never passed details to santander, say they don't know anything about the switch, now need to do it all manually to make sure everyone gets paid. Think money website down all day on the 28th February, payday, could not get through on the phone, you cannot email them, USELESS. Stay well clear of them.

iva agreed; August 2010

Shining

Post by Shining » Sat Mar 01, 2014 9:41 am
Just inform everyone and some you can actually swap online as I did this, others just a phone call, so hopefully won't be too much problem.

Sounds like you've definitely made the best choice there!
IVA final payment left the bank on the 26th January 2013...looking forward to a debt free future.

andrea1968

Post by andrea1968 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:24 pm
Well, basic current santander account opened at the end of February, thought I would chance an online application to change to the 123 current account (yesterday), logged on today to check our balance and have been upgraded, still got 30 months left on the iva so really pleased to get a yes. I know it is only a few quid extra coming in but feels so good to be accepted twice by them and no prying questions or rejection letters. Things are on the up!!!

iva agreed; August 2010

welshwiz

Post by welshwiz » Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:28 pm
Hi Andrea

Congrats, its good to see not every institution penalises IVA people!

andrea1968

Post by andrea1968 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:28 pm
oh, and well worth the 2 quid a month fee!!!

iva agreed; August 2010

andrea1968

Post by andrea1968 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:33 pm
Cheers welshwiz, I hated think money being hand-in hand with Freeman Jones. Now £30 quid a month better off without bank fees and 0844 calls to think money, all came out of my food budget so may treat ourselves to an (all you can eat) buffet down the local chinese restaurant this weekend.

iva agreed; August 2010

Shining

Post by Shining » Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:41 pm
Enjoy the buffet I love those!

andrea1968

Post by andrea1968 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:48 pm
I do, my hubby is not a big eater but me and the lad can put it away, so to speak. We will certainly be getting our monies worth, we haven't eaten out in forever so this will be a rare treat.

iva agreed; August 2010

welshwiz

Post by welshwiz » Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:03 pm
Enjoy your extra pennies, I am with Freeman Jones and they tried to get us with Think Banking, they are supposed to help you save money not encourage taking an account which charges, especially the £30 charges!! Glad we went with Nat West, were with Barclays for 33 years and can honestly say we never had bad customer service but never experienced anywhere near as good as the service we get from Nat West after just 2 years.

Sarah Jolly

Post by Sarah Jolly » Thu Mar 06, 2014 5:58 pm
As you know thinkmoney is a sister company of Freeman Jones. thinkmoney offers a personal account with “jam jar” budgeting facility and there is a monthly fee of £14.50 for a sole account or £21.25 for a joint account. The account is designed to help you budget and pay all your bills on time and stops you from going overdrawn.

Of course free in credit Basic Bank Accounts are available – but as I am sure that many forum members can attest they are only free if you don’t go into an unauthorized overdraft. If you do stray into an unauthorized overdraft the charges can mount up. Our clients tell us they prefer to pay a monthly fee than be hit with unexpected charges.

We understand the account isn’t for everyone and our clients are free to bank with any provider they choose.

Aside from phoning us there are a number of different ways to contact us or request a callback including our Online and text services, Facebook, twitter and email.

Thank you
Sarah
Sarah Jolly IMA CMAP - A member of the IVA team at Freeman Jones

MelanieGiles

Industry Expert
Post by MelanieGiles » Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:05 am
I have never had a client in my firm tell me that they would rather pay monthly charges for paid banking - although I do think that the days of free personal banking may be limited, and it therefore good to know that there are credible alternatives available which do not require any credit checking.
Regards, Melanie Giles, Insolvency Practitioner
15 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”