Just completed my 4th annual review

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
11 posts Page 1 of 1

Why me

Post by Why me » Sat Oct 19, 2013 3:01 pm
I can't quite believe it but I've just completed and emailed my 4th annual review to my IP. The time has flown by and we thought about an IVA for a good year before we took the plunge so had we done it straight away we might be finished now.

In 6 months time we need to go through the equity release process, based on current prices the value of the house and the balance on the mortgage are the same so this should just be a formality.

I'm glad we took the iva route it was always important to me to pay back as much as possible. Our original payment was £305 and it's now £759, with bonus and o/t we've paid £11.5k this year so I think in the end we should be somewhere near 80/90p in the £.

I think in some ways we've had it easier than most as we've kept 50% of pay rise, o/t and bonuses. I've also got a company car and reading threads on here I'm grateful for that when it goes to the garage.

The hardest things for me is the shame. We've never told anyone it's like our dirty secret and even when it's over I don't think we'll tell anyone. We have a teenage daughter and one day I'd like to tell her so she doesn't repeat our mistake.

We hope to move when our daughter finishes school so hopefully this time next year we'll be 12 days from our final payment and opening a saving account so the standing order can been changed to go towards a new house.

To all those starting out stick , I can't believe we've completed 4yrs already.

winter_blues

Post by winter_blues » Sat Oct 19, 2013 3:07 pm
Hi, nice positive post. I'm not far behind you and I think it's flown by as well!. I've also kept this a secret from family and friends which doesn't help in many ways but it's the easiest option.

Good luck the light is at the end of the tunnel and you have plans already. Well done
Winter-Blues

s_murphy_pop

Post by s_murphy_pop » Sat Oct 19, 2013 5:02 pm
I am also keeping it a secret from family and friends, for shame I suppose. I'm just starting out and I'm looking forward to finishing off. My payment is only £100 at the moment but I am expecting it to increase!

Shining

Post by Shining » Sat Oct 19, 2013 5:10 pm
A lovely positive post that will no doubt give others hope that things in an IVA aren't always bad. You'll have dealt with your debts and it'll be up to you if you tell anyone or not. I only told my youngest daughter (she's 20 now) as she was the only one affected by the IVA the others had flown the nest. I do believe that it has definitely helped her with money management. hope the last year goes smoothly for you, all the best.
IVA final payment left the bank on the 26th January 2013...looking forward to a debt free future.

UpToMyNeckInIt

Post by UpToMyNeckInIt » Sat Oct 19, 2013 5:40 pm
Nice to see something positive about IVA's. Well said.

Personally though, I have found it cathartic being able to discuss my IVA, albeit only with immediate family/close friends.

On the whole, I get positive support. Doing this, I even discovered one of my mates is in an IVA, and he too had 'bottled it up', and was quite relieved to be able to discuss it at last with someone in the same boat.

Personally therefore, I would suggest being open with your nearest and dearest. There is nothing for us to be ashamed of, and it clearly stresses a lot of people out if they cannot confide in anyone on the subject.
My opinions are just that: Based on my experience and being a self-employed IVA customer.

Michael Peoples

Industry Expert
Post by Michael Peoples » Sat Oct 19, 2013 6:48 pm
There is nothing to be ashamed of and well done so far. It is nice to hear a positive post rather than complaints about PPI and completion certificates.
Michael Peoples | McCambridge Duffy Insolvency Practitioners
http://www.mccambridgeduffy.com
If you would like to talk to me about proposing an IVA or have any questions at all please visit www.mccambridgeduffy.com

Why me

Post by Why me » Sat Oct 19, 2013 7:53 pm
Thank you for the lovely comments.

I know in my logical brain we shouldn't be ashamed but that stigma still exists maybe once it's finished I'll feel differently. I do admire those of you who can talk about it.

We've never taken PPI so glad for that right now.

MelanieGiles

Industry Expert
Post by MelanieGiles » Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:41 am
You should be very proud of yourselves, and having never taken out PPI there should be no reason why your IVA will not conclude on time.
Regards, Melanie Giles, Insolvency Practitioner

mole

Post by mole » Mon Oct 21, 2013 12:47 pm
Congratulations Why me, you are nearly there.

I just completed my 4th review in May and payments remained unaltered. If fact my payments have never altered since I started.

Like you, no-one apart from the wife knows about the IVA, although as my extravagant spending has stopped, some of my close friends may suspect things may have changed financially for me.

llamedos

Post by llamedos » Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:14 pm
My other half wont tell anyone about our IVA. I, on the other hand, have told several people but a lot of that was to explain why I can't always do things like I used to and how when I say I am skint it is because I really have no money spare!
The end is in sight - months not years!

Looking forward to a brighter future for my children!

Tina Shortland

Post by Tina Shortland » Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:22 pm
Congratulations Why Me on getting so far - you are so close to that light now that others starting out can only hope for. Telling others can be hard, its sometimes easier if you can tell those close around you so no pressure is put on you and you can have that extra encouragement and understanding when you need it, as llamedos has found out but everyone is different. You have us here to turn to when you need a listening ear or some support. Best wishes for your final year :-)
Regards, Tina Shortland, Debt Advisory Manager for Melanie Giles at Debt Advice TV.

If you’re looking for effective debt related information, articles and news, then go now to our on-line advice service at www.debtadvicetv.com

If you’re ready to ask us for specific advice or help, then get in touch at www.call-me.debtadvicetv.com so you can start to free yourself from the stress and anxiety of overwhelming debt.
11 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”