How long does the OR have a 'watch' (control)over?

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
10 posts Page 1 of 1

flamingate

Post by flamingate » Sat Sep 21, 2013 6:01 pm
When you are bankrupt you should follow the ORs rules, not take out any credit, note hide any assets etc.

But how long are you under this 'watch' (or whatever it is called) from the OCs' BR rules?

1 year?
while undischarged ?

2 years after discharge ?

in other words, when does he let you go....etc ?

Michael Peoples

Industry Expert
Post by Michael Peoples » Sat Sep 21, 2013 6:19 pm
Once you are discharged you can do what you like and the OR has no further control. If you have an income payments order this will run for three years but cannot be increased post discharge.
Michael Peoples | McCambridge Duffy Insolvency Practitioners
http://www.mccambridgeduffy.com
If you would like to talk to me about proposing an IVA or have any questions at all please visit www.mccambridgeduffy.com

flamingate

Post by flamingate » Sat Sep 21, 2013 6:32 pm
How much control does he have over you?

does he let you go to the bathroom unattended ? lol.

Just joking....I thought I would liven the forum humor.

Michael Peoples

Industry Expert
Post by Michael Peoples » Sat Sep 21, 2013 6:34 pm
The OR has a pile of work and given that they are civil servants they just want to do the job and go home. It is not 'Big Brother' stuff so nothing to be worried about.
If you would like to talk to me about proposing an IVA or have any questions at all please visit www.mccambridgeduffy.com

Skippy

Post by Skippy » Sat Sep 21, 2013 10:41 pm
Michael, I stand to be corrected on this but I'm sure an IPA can be increased/decreased/suspended after discharge. If I you are subject to an IPA you have to notify the OR of any changes in circumstances for the duration of the agreement.

The Major

Post by The Major » Sat Sep 21, 2013 11:45 pm
An income payments order can be suspended or lowered after discharge, by application of the bankrupt, but cannot be increased by application of the OR because as Michael says the bankrupt is no longer under any obligation to the give the OR solicitors normally Moonbeever, ammunition to increase it, and any assets the bankrupt receives after discharge are the bankrupts, or should I say ex bankrupts are to keep.

Skippy

Post by Skippy » Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:48 am
Sorry, I read 'increased' as 'amended'!

The Major

Post by The Major » Sun Sep 22, 2013 1:40 pm
If you are still under an Income Payments Order following discharge one year, and you come into some money say a substantial inheritance then Moonbeever could ask you to settle the balance of your existing IPO by paying the months you have left at the level it was set up so it finishes there and then, I understand in an IVA the inheritance is taken and monthly payments continue up to 100% of the original debt plus fees.

Michael Peoples

Industry Expert
Post by Michael Peoples » Sun Sep 22, 2013 7:30 pm
I agree with what you say Major but I do not think you have any obligation to inform Moonbeever of any windfalls post discharge anyway. It would be up to you whether you wanted to pay it off whereas in an IVA the windfall is captured in addition to any monthly payments.

Skippy

Post by Skippy » Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:24 am
That's what I thought Michael.
10 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”