Advice please about inheritance. I am worried I will have to sell house and become homeless

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
5 posts Page 1 of 1

steveddddd

Post by steveddddd » Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:27 pm
Advice please about inheritance from my father. I would like to know where I stand. I am currently in an IVA and worried that I will need to sell the house and make myself homeless to pay off the IVA.

TheArtist

Post by TheArtist » Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:59 pm
Welcome Steve, could you elaborate. Would any inheritance place you in a position to offer a F&F?

If you maintain your obligations to your IVA why do you think you may have to sell your house?
Completed IVA - August 2012 pheeeeeeeeeew
Only my opinion - Nothing More Nothing Less

TheArtist

Post by TheArtist » Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:08 pm
Steve, you seem to have doubled up on posts. Could an administrator tidy this up.
Completed IVA - August 2012 pheeeeeeeeeew
Only my opinion - Nothing More Nothing Less

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Thu Feb 14, 2013 6:25 pm
An inheritance during the life of the IVA would be treated as a windfall and payable into the pot. I know that in the situation where you have a home and inherit another it generally has to be sold to release the equity. I would hope that an IP would take a different view of what is, after all, your home. But, I am afraid, only your IP can enlighten you as to which way they will jump!

Have you already inherited, or just thinking ahead ?
My opinions are merely that .. opinions based on experience. Always seek professional advice.
IVA Completed 23rd July 2013 .... C.C. 10th January 2014

MelanieGiles

Industry Expert
Post by MelanieGiles » Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:51 pm
The IP cannot exercise discretion over such a substantial matter - the only people who can direct on this are your creditors themselves - and it may be unlikely that they would ignore the inheritance simply to keep you in that property - when presumably you could sell and then rent.
Regards, Melanie Giles, Insolvency Practitioner
5 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”