Lloyds withdraw banking support for IVA customers

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
210 posts Page 7 of 14

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:16 am
Mine, Chris, is a Visa Debit. I believe they are all branded Debit these days, but some of the older ones still in use are actually Electron after a sloppy changeover.
My opinions are merely that .. opinions based on experience. Always seek professional advice.
IVA Completed 23rd July 2013 .... C.C. 10th January 2014

ginger323232

Post by ginger323232 » Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:27 am
Foggy - if can remember that why a lot of the older cards were refused as the Co-OP had not sorted out their banking system to deal with the two types cards
Last edited by ginger323232 on Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:55 am
Yeah, ginger. I think, rather than actually change the cards from the old electron code (to alter those first four digits) they tried to upgrade the old Electron numbers. So, from their end, they were now Visa Debits.

But, the retailers EPOS systems still had the old numbers recorded as Electron. And some retailers were (are) not too regular with updating their databases. I imagine some might still recognise them as Electron. So far, luckily, I haven't found one who does :-)
My opinions are merely that .. opinions based on experience. Always seek professional advice.

debt tired

Post by debt tired » Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:53 am
Mrs Knight, You will need to take a photocopy of each piecce of your ID and the Post Office will then compare it with your originals and sign to confirm that it is a true copy. Costs about £7, but you'd end up paying that for special delivery anyway if you were to send the originals.

MrsKnight

Post by MrsKnight » Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:44 pm
Thank you for that debt tired - I'm presuming as my hubby & I are opening a joint account that will be £7 each? I don't fancy posting my ID through the post! But will send it recorded.
Final IVA payment made in April 2013, never ever thought we could do it or get through it but we did! X

An IVA.co.uk Mentor is someone sharing from their experiences of dealing with debt

Lyns x

MrsKnight

Post by MrsKnight » Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:52 pm
font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:<hr height="1" noshade>Originally posted by Chris.84

Will do Mrs Knight.

Does anyone know what type of debit card you get with Co-Op cashminder account - is it a Visa Debit or Visa Electron?
Thank you Chris.
Final IVA payment made in April 2013, never ever thought we could do it or get through it but we did! X

An IVA.co.uk Mentor is someone sharing from their experiences of dealing with debt

Lyns x

Shell.76

Post by Shell.76 » Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:32 pm
hi, i opened a coop cashminder account in sept 2012 whilst in an iva and was accepted. the card is a visa debit and not had any problems with it. i went into the branch to open it as when i rang they could no longer open them over the phone. the account was opened that day. hope this helps [8D]

louiseh

Post by louiseh » Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:47 pm
I have an account with the halifax, wonder if this will be affected to. Although I have finished making my payments I`ll still be on the register for a while. We do have a coop branch, so maybe I`ll try and open one anyway, better to be safe than sorry.

MrsKnight

Post by MrsKnight » Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:37 pm
Halifax is part of the same banking group as Lloyds & bank of Scotland. Maybe a good idea to open a co op one just incase.

Lyns x

Johndylan

Post by Johndylan » Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:49 pm
To date, the co op account has been very good.
We managed to get a cheque book as well!

Only downside is a very basic online banking system, that causes us major problems as we have a joint account. The system requires us to phone every time one of us logs on as it cancels the other ones account. A right pain!

sturty999

Post by sturty999 » Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:24 pm
Mel,

I have recently had communications with Cleardebt, in particular Tom O'Connor, raising concerns about their PPI claims company DRSP contacting RBS (my current account holder) to investigate any potential PPI claim. Even though I have insisted I do not want RBS contacted for fear of them finding out I am in an IVA and suspending my banking facilities, my request was refused and I was informed that RBS 'must' be contacted. RBS are simply my current account provider and it infuriates me that they are being contacted. Interestingly Mr O'Connor replied to my concerns with the following statement . . .

'Details of your IVA are available not only via credit searches but also to the public via www.insolvency.gov.uk and as such the likelihood is that RBS are already well aware of your IVA – as such we will not accept any accountability for RBS uncovering details already on public record. If you have no debts with RBS and your account is being operated in a normal manner then there is no reason for RBS to impose any sanctions against you or your banking facilities and I have not known them to take such action in over 10 years working within the industry.'

I think we can probably all assume that RBS, along with most other banks, will no doubt follow in the footsteps of Lloyds!

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:36 pm
Hi Sturty -- do you have previous debts with RBS ? What has prompted Cleardebt to contact them ?

sturty999

Post by sturty999 » Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:21 pm
Hi Foggy, no previous debts with RBS, just my current account that I use for my day to day banking. Cleardebt (DRSP) are contacting them, along with loads of others to explore any potential PPI claim, they are even contacting Virgin Media, who I have my TV etc with! I assume they are working from details taken from my credit report. I think that given Mel's post about Lloyds and the concerns I have raised, Cleardebt (DRSP) are actually being quite out of order in their insistance that RBS are contacted about PPI that I have never had with them and risking my banking facilities.

I have read quite a few posts on here about DRSP and their insistance on home visists etc. I have to say my own experience of them has also not been that great and their customer service leaves much to be desired!

Andy

scoobydooby

Post by scoobydooby » Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:50 pm
Aaarrgghhh!!!!

Just seen this thread. Has this been confirmed yet?

I opened a basic account with Lloyds TSB in April 2010 just prior to my IVA starting and I've never had any problems with it - other than once being overdrawn by about £5 for one day.

I would obviously prefer to avoid the hassle of having to find a new bank so I'm minded to wait to hear from them, but my wages go in that account and all my direct debits come out of it so I'm more than a little concerned!

lin.r

Post by lin.r » Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:56 pm
Husband opened a personal account with Lloyds pre IVA,that's all we need,another bank closing an account!!
Nothing seems to go right for us at the moment.
Lin
210 posts Page 7 of 14
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”