PPI again, I know but not what you think

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
9 posts Page 1 of 1

Gettingthere

Post by Gettingthere » Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:27 pm
Hello all, just asking if anyone has out of the blue had a phonecall from a company called Lawton Hathaway? apparently a PPI/debt claims company whom I have never heard of.
To cut a long story short long before seeking help on the IVA journey I was cold called by a company re: PPI claims for which I received a cheque from Nationwide for loans I had had previously for around £900, this was before I began my IVA and ironically it was used to pay the loans ect which I had at the time. Tonight I had a message asking me to call some company or other which I did, was informed by some little oik (who called me rude when I got a little upset when he more or less called me a liar!!)that I had received a cheque in 2009 for almost £1500 from Nationwide and I owed them £561?? I received a cheque for almost £900 in early 2010 before the IVA started from them, which he did not believe. I honestly think this has something to do with this whole EIF PPI farce to be honest and do not know how to proceed as they are threatening sending me an invoice for 1400 and odd pound. I need to get statements from my bank (which they charge for going back that far and I think it may have been paid into my Mams account as I might have been "between banks" at the time anyway), she passed away a year and a half ago and I do not even know if I could get statements to say how much had been paid over. I though I had long past the point of fretting when the phone rang:-(

Any help would be appreciated.
Many thanks

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:32 pm
Hi. First of all ask them to produce the documentation you signed when you supposedly appointed them. You will have also signed a permission for your lenders to discuss your situation with an agent. Then see where that goes.
My opinions are merely that .. opinions based on experience. Always seek professional advice.
IVA Completed 23rd July 2013 .... C.C. 10th January 2014

Gettingthere

Post by Gettingthere » Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:41 pm
Thanks Foggy, I did question him on this as I had never heard of them and asked if they had taken over any companies, one may have been the one I spoke to but cannot be sure, something seems a lot fishy though, he did not even know who Santander were??.

Wish I had never heard of PPI to be honest.

plasticdaft

Forum Expert

Post by plasticdaft » Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:03 am
I wouldnt even speak to them at all.

Paul
Discharged today the 8th feb 2012. View is much brighter now.
Continuing to rebuild our credit worthiness.

GilliB

Post by GilliB » Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:28 am
Hi gettingthere. Why are you even using your energy on this company? They called you out of the blue, with no evidence of what they are claiming. Just ignore them. If they call again, insist on written correspondence only - if they have your address - certainly don't volunteer it!! If you owe them money - tell them to prove it!! x
IVA journey started: 30th March 2009. Settled: 17th July 2012. Completion Certificate received: 13th March 2013. Breathe. x

Gettingthere

Post by Gettingthere » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:25 pm
Thanks John and GilliB, thank you for your comments, I know this company are talking utter trash to be honest but when you get a call like that it makes you doubt yourself even though you know what you are saying is true,I know I do not owe them money and and I am darn well not going to be intimidated be some company on the take. He got quite put off when I mentioned solicitors, wonder why?

MelanieGiles

Industry Expert
Post by MelanieGiles » Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:28 pm
Threaten them with a report to the OFT if you feel justified. Noone should be badgering anyone in this manner - but my gut feeling is they will not contact you again.
Regards, Melanie Giles, Insolvency Practitioner

NTF Financial Solutions

Post by NTF Financial Solutions » Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:32 am
As the alleged instruction to this company was prior to the IVA being entered into, even if there any fees outstanding they would be a debt caught in your IVA. If they call again advise them to contact your supervisor, get the name and number of the person calling and also advise your supervisor to call them. They will be able to get to the bottom of any potential issue for you.
James Kaye and Nick Morgan, Insolvency Practitioners with over 30 years combined experience.

Gettingthere

Post by Gettingthere » Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:46 pm
Thank you Mel and NTF, think they are just trying it on to be honest but this kind of thing does scare the bejeezes out of you when it happens out of the blue and you know that what they are saying is completely wrong, I was in the mind to report them to be honest Mel as after checking online for them came across several topics on the same company saying they have tried the same thing with them also.
9 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”