Bonus - help please

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
44 posts Page 2 of 3

ransonkate

Post by ransonkate » Sun Jan 08, 2012 1:20 pm
Well noted.....Like I said I could not do it nor that I have tried....I will say this that in these dark times earning a living is diffiuclt and when you earn a bit extra it does not seem fair to give it or part of it into the IVA. When you have children who miss out on certain things the other kids have you kinda find it harsh. I know we have probably all been there but when you work hard the little extras make you human....As they say you are a long time dead.

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Sun Jan 08, 2012 1:25 pm
Unfortunately, we did all borrow the money and have an obligation to pay back as much as we can afford - at least we know the creditors will write off the remaining amount.

I'm afraid we do all have to suffer and try and make savings from our allowances for treats for the kids.

I fund Christmas by doing online surveys and earning cash sometimes, and vouchers. It certainly helps.
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.
http://kallis3.blogs.iva.co.uk

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Sun Jan 08, 2012 1:27 pm
Kev, I am afraid the bonus will be taken as income for the month in which it is paid, so you only get one 10% disregard on the whole lot. If you work for a smaller company they might be able to pay it in monthly installments.
My opinions are merely that .. opinions based on experience. Always seek professional advice.
IVA Completed 23rd July 2013 .... C.C. 10th January 2014

ransonkate

Post by ransonkate » Sun Jan 08, 2012 1:27 pm
How much does that bring in? Surely it cannot be that much to fund Christmas

Car1e

Post by Car1e » Sun Jan 08, 2012 1:31 pm
You'd be surprised. There are lots of online surveys you can do. And if you start now then you have a whole year to accrue the vouchers.
We are all in the gutter but some of us are looking at the stars - Oscar Wilde. My blog: http://car1e.blogs.iva.co.uk/

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Sun Jan 08, 2012 1:34 pm
Kate -- I find it helps to look at it this way (based on my figures). Assuming no extra payments, over the IVA I will pay in roughly £27,000 on debts of about £60,000. So, right away I am £33,000 "up". Add to that the interest I would have paid on the debt over the 5 years, you could probably, easily, double that figure! So, over 5 years I am "saving" nigh on £70,000 !! Any overtime I do have to pay over won't make much of a dent in that!

Incidentally, if I wasn't in an IVA I would have paid around £60,000 over the 5 years, and still owe the original debt, as I was only just covering the interest each month!

Frightening, isn't it?
My opinions are merely that .. opinions based on experience. Always seek professional advice.

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Sun Jan 08, 2012 1:44 pm
Kate - you'd be amazed how much you can get in vouchers just from doing the surveys.

I don't have a large family anyway and my stepkids know of the IVA and so don't expect a lot and I do use the vouchers as presents.
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Sun Jan 08, 2012 1:47 pm
I, too, cover Christmas and Birthdays with survey vouchers. And the Tesco clubcard points buy Christmas luxury foods ( not that I have many of those, being a bear of very simple taste ... as well as little brain !!!)

ransonkate

Post by ransonkate » Sun Jan 08, 2012 1:55 pm
I actually did sign up to do these type of surveys.....but it is not worth it....some surveys take 20 mins and they only give you 50p.
Others give you points to exchnage for cash or vouchers.
I did the equivelent of 8 hours and 15 mins worth of surveys etc over a course of a week.
It paid out £6.50 and a £2 Argos gift card.
If you have time to sit in front of a computer and do this then fair play to you but I would rather go and do something more recreational.
You have to way it up and in the end it got in the way of my social agenda if you know what I mean.
But anyone who gets a lot more than I did I will gladly take my hat off to you

louiseh

Post by louiseh » Sun Jan 08, 2012 2:01 pm
It might not sound much for 8 hours worth of effort, but it addds up over the course of a year. When you have no other options to earn extra cash for treats such as christmas even a small amount for a lot of effort is worth it.

nepensioner

Post by nepensioner » Sun Jan 08, 2012 2:06 pm
I spend 20 mins per day max, and get screened out of a lot of them, however saved them all up and had £150 towards christmas/january sales. If you need the extra cash, find its worth persevering..
F & F Accepted 19th Oct 2010

Car1e

Post by Car1e » Sun Jan 08, 2012 2:07 pm
I guess that you could also sell unwanted possessions on ebay or even at a carboot when the weather improves. Then save that money for next Christmas.
We are all in the gutter but some of us are looking at the stars - Oscar Wilde. My blog: http://car1e.blogs.iva.co.uk/

ransonkate

Post by ransonkate » Sun Jan 08, 2012 2:08 pm
Louiseh - You are totally right it would add up but for me it only earned about a £1 per hour.
Probably a bit less given you are using electricity to power your computer.
I went to a car boot sale for an hour early Dec.
Bought some old crockery for £5
Lumped it on ebay and someone paid £32.75 for it.
The point I am trying to make is that you can spend hours earning pennies when you can look at other opportunites which take a lot less time.

ransonkate

Post by ransonkate » Sun Jan 08, 2012 2:11 pm
font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:<hr height="1" noshade>Originally posted by nepensioner

I spend 20 mins per day max, and get screened out of a lot of them, however saved them all up and had £150 towards christmas/january sales. If you need the extra cash, find its worth persevering..
£150 - great effort!
Well done

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Sun Jan 08, 2012 2:21 pm
I'm afraid I'm very anti social so spend most of my spare time on the forum and doing surveys.

It's paid well for me over the years.

I do Ebay as well.
Bob Marley.
44 posts Page 2 of 3
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”