Review

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
53 posts Page 3 of 4

Gettingthere

Post by Gettingthere » Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:59 pm
Thanks Kallis, being its the 1st review was not sure of how things worked. Have been honest and a bit conservative with things as well as for expenditure but will manage regardless.

As for unions, I know they are useless, resigned from mine 3 years ago when they called a 3 day strike (could not manage with a full months salary never mind one with 3 days pay missing)

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:03 pm
My place used Unison and they are next to useless. I'm with T&G but haven't needed to utlise their services fortunately.
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.
http://kallis3.blogs.iva.co.uk

nepensioner

Post by nepensioner » Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:03 pm
I'm with you there about unions, I was a member when I was working and certainly could not afford to loose pay when they went on strike so just used to cross the picket line, after all there was nothing they could do about it
F & F Accepted 19th Oct 2010

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:06 pm
I've always crossed the picket line as I certainly can't afford to lose any pay at all.
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.

Gettingthere

Post by Gettingthere » Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:09 pm
Unison must be universally useless then, GMB not much better (they tend to have Unison at our place for the more "educated" and GMB for the people who actually physically work)

Nepensioner, I have done the same thing by crossing picket lines, its not nice but in times of difficulty the last thing you can do is throw money away.

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:11 pm
I'm afraid my family and house come first and I think Unison must be next to useless everywhere.
Bob Marley.

Shining

Post by Shining » Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:15 pm
I'm with Unison but never had to think about striking thank goodness as I tend to like the money too much x
IVA final payment left the bank on the 26th January 2013...looking forward to a debt free future.

nepensioner

Post by nepensioner » Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:32 pm
I was in PCS who over recent years have shown much anger at the way we were treated but only action was a large number of strikes that had no effect. I loved crossing the picket line as was on early start at 7.30 and the union struggled to get pickets there on time!!!

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:35 pm
They've had two strikes at my place since I started and I crossed the picket line on both occasions - the bosses took the cowards way out and booked the days off!
Bob Marley.

Skippy

Post by Skippy » Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:55 pm
I've only been in a union once and it was a complete waste of money and I wouldn't do it again. As far as I'm concerned most union bosses are out for what they can get, not what's best for the workers.

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:14 pm
Our Unison rep is only out to help management! When we needed help a few years ago keeping one of our workers in a job he was worse than useless and she ended up having to move to a different police force. Most of the office dropped out of the union after that.
Bob Marley.

nepensioner

Post by nepensioner » Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:20 pm
We had a union rep on our team at work, we all had huge targets to achieve and she spent all day in the union office drinking tea and eating biscuits. It was b..... annoying that she was being paid the same as us

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:22 pm
Says it all!
Bob Marley.

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:23 pm
Just to apologise to marksam1 as we seem to have hijacked the thread![:D][:D]
Bob Marley.

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:24 pm
When I was in the Society, my rep was also my line manager -- which made life a little difficult at times !!!!!

Since Scargill ( and to some extent British Leyland ) unions are now as good as a chocolate teapot.
My opinions are merely that .. opinions based on experience. Always seek professional advice.
IVA Completed 23rd July 2013 .... C.C. 10th January 2014
53 posts Page 3 of 4
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”