Saving whilst in an IVA?

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
53 posts Page 3 of 4

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:24 pm
I love coinstar as well - sad as I am I love to see the money going into the machine and seeing the amount changing.
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.
http://kallis3.blogs.iva.co.uk

leaKybrain

Post by leaKybrain » Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:27 pm
only thing with coinstar is that they charge, I know its not much really but it adds up if you are putting in a fair amount.

I want one of those money saving boxes that has different slits in, then I could have each named for different things LOL.

I too am saving with Asda and Farm Foods, couple of pound a week soon adds up, this year I was really chuffed to have been able to get most of my presents with just vouchers and saved card moneys...though I did have some help with in one area. Very grateful help that is, couldn't have done without it.

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:29 pm
I know they charge, but that doesn't bother me. I only use it for a little treat sometimes so it's never a great amount I put in.
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:40 pm
My opinions are merely that .. opinions based on experience. Always seek professional advice.
IVA Completed 23rd July 2013 .... C.C. 10th January 2014

Shining

Post by Shining » Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:17 pm
I save all my oddments in a tin which you need a tin opener to open, when full I open it and get granddaughter aged 6 to bag it up in bags and I take it to the bank. It certainly does add up xx
IVA final payment left the bank on the 26th January 2013...looking forward to a debt free future.

leaKybrain

Post by leaKybrain » Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:39 pm
Foggy you star, thats it exactly. Hv put it in watching and will hopefully be able to get it soon Thank you xx

salkitten15

Post by salkitten15 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:02 pm
I received my Natwest e-savings welcome pack today!
It all looks fairly straightforward, just got to sign and send back a form to authorise depositing an initial £1.00 into the account then it'll be opened.
Considering it's an internet only account found it abit strange that I have to sign a form to transfer over £1.00???!!! Oh well.
One thing which I'm now 100% clear about after reading the t&c's is that everything is done over the internet eg. money transfer and withdrawals, you can't go into the branch at all, but that suits me fine.
All I have to do now is get saving :-)

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:15 pm
Good news salkitten. Was the letter thingy you have to send back the "Account Opening Form" with your personal details & savings details ?
My opinions are merely that .. opinions based on experience. Always seek professional advice.

James Falla

Post by James Falla » Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:19 pm
As Melanie has said, saving if you can manage to do it from your allowable expenditure budget is an extremely good idea.

One tip I always give people who are trying to save is do it at the begining of the month. What I mean by this is work out what you think you can save each month and then do it as soon as your wages or other income comes in. This way the money you want to save is always there. Leaving it until the end of the month will mean that 99 x out of 100 you have already spent it.
James Falla
IVA & Personal Debt Solutions Expert

salkitten15

Post by salkitten15 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:50 pm
Thanks Foggy!
No, the form I've got to send off is a little slip to say I authorise for £1.00 to be transfered into the savings account.
I wonder why they can't just transfer the £1.00 over? Seeing as though it's an e-savings account.

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:07 pm
ah, I see. I had the full form I described sent to me today with a note on the back saying they might carry out a credit check and a note saying the application is valid for 28 days ---- might just leave it at that. hhhmmmmm.....

salkitten15

Post by salkitten15 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:21 pm
I can't understand why they would credit check you? It's just a basic savings account....
Oh well I'm sure there are others, if I was you I'd maybe shop around.
Good luck!

leaKybrain

Post by leaKybrain » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:47 pm
james, we do that with the majority of our allowances etc., I transfer it to the savings account straight away. the smaller bits are the weekly bits that are saved and if that does get spent then so be it.

Kitten, thanks for letting us know about the account. its something i do intend sorting, jsut seem to be running out of time everyday.

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:50 pm
I'm just about to transfer some money to my Terramundi money jar! I've started to do that every week now the night before hubby picks up his benefits. We should be able to save about £400 in there before it gets full and we have to smash it!
Bob Marley.

leaKybrain

Post by leaKybrain » Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:23 pm
wow Jan, way to go, excellent savings.

Just out of curiosity for the IVA experienced to answer LOL....

how much are you allowed to save. I am hoping to put away all the allownances each month (car/dental/opticians/hair/sundries) and obviously any bits extra from the housekeeping not used each month. If the expenses don't cost as much as expected in that month, ie., car passes mot and don't need to pay for repairs, and dentist says no work needed (a difference of £30 between the two levels of cost) then obviously this money gets saved. Is there a limit to how much we can have in the bank before its classed as too much saving and has to be paid over if at all. We still have a bit left from the three months money we didn't pay to the creditors, and will obviously be adding to it.
53 posts Page 3 of 4
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”