Credit Checks

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
23 posts Page 1 of 2

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:49 pm
Before entering my IVA I changed bank accounts ( as you do) and applied for a basic account with Natwest. Despite this they opened a current plus account, with visa debit card and cheque book ( but, thankfully, no overdraft facility and no cheque g'tee card).

In an effort to save a little I want to open one of their e-Saver accounts, but am worried that they will do another credit check (which I must have passed first time round) and it will no longer be quite so rosy. The result being they might decide to close the current account as I am no longer desirable (financially speaking, of course!).

Are they likely to carry out a credit cheque on an existing customer to open a basic savings account ?
My opinions are merely that .. opinions based on experience. Always seek professional advice.
IVA Completed 23rd July 2013 .... C.C. 10th January 2014

salkitten15

Post by salkitten15 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:54 pm
I'm with the Natwest too, but I only have their basic Step account. I want to open their savings account, just not got round to it yet. As far as I know just for a basic savings account they wouldnt do a credit check.
Well I hope not, otherwise I'm in trouble too!
I went into the branch last time, but can you open the savings account on-line do you know?

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:05 pm
Hi salkitten, yes, I did see it online. It gives the impression of fast tracking online applications by existing customers.

It was the Step account I applied for .. but, as I say, they opened a current plus for me! I must admit it is handy being able to write a cheque now and then.
My opinions are merely that .. opinions based on experience. Always seek professional advice.

salkitten15

Post by salkitten15 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:19 pm
Foggy, I decided to just go for it and applied on-line.
I was accepted straight away, I'll recieve a welcome pack within 3 days.
No credit checks! And because I bank on-line with them, the application form is already filled in for you, you just have to pay in an initial £1.00 to open it!
Go for it! Good luck!

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:29 pm
Good news salkitten.
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.
http://kallis3.blogs.iva.co.uk

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:36 pm
Ah well --- just applied and "accepted in principle". Will see what happens.

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:41 pm
Fingers crossed.
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.
http://kallis3.blogs.iva.co.uk

leaKybrain

Post by leaKybrain » Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:47 pm
Foggy your first post could have been me, to the letter !!! We got the first plus account and cheque book and visa debit card, said no to overdraft.

We did actually open a joint savings account at the time but now I need to open an account tht I can put other savings in to. other being what we all talked about the other day being coins and housekeeping from month end.

Foggy and Sal let me know what happens, when your welcome pack arrives. I'll wait see what happens with yorus before I open an acc.

Question thou.......when putting money in, do you put it in to your normal account and then transfer it online to the e-savings.

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:52 pm
From what I gather, Karin, yes, you transfer money online from one account to the other. But one of the questions they asked in the application was if your were going to make the initial deposit by transfer, cheque or cash, so I am guessing that we will be able to pay directly into the account as well.

salkitten15

Post by salkitten15 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:11 pm
Fingers crossed Foggy, I'm sure you will be fine.
leaKybrain will let you know when I get my welcome pack, but I agree with Foggy, you transfer money on-line between accounts, it sounds fairly straightforward.

Squidward

Post by Squidward » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:38 pm
We have joint Natwest current account with Visa Debit and cheque book but didn't want an overdraft, we opened about 14months ago before we entered into a DMP last month we decided to open an online saver account and got it - I had a phone call from customer services who said as I already bank with us it's "pre approved"

I checked on credit expert and no search was done and it's not listed anywhere on my file, I can only assume that if you bank with them it’s your for the asking!

Squidward
Squidward

Searching for Satellites

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:51 pm
Cheers Squidward ... hope all is well in Bikini Bottom :-)

Squidward

Post by Squidward » Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:16 pm
Lol it's Ok But the Crusty Crabs Rockin'
Squidward

Searching for Satellites

leaKybrain

Post by leaKybrain » Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:51 am
Thanks for that, will def be opening then.

Foggy it sounds like you get a paying in book as well then. i do wonder where the 'e' bit comes from as you pay in on a normal savings too...unless its because you don't get a card for the account and its just for putting money in. Wonder how you can get it back out or if its transfer again. Will look it up

Thans Kitten

Squid, thanks for that info, its nice to know when people have had good experience in sorting these things out.

wannabedj

Post by wannabedj » Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:08 pm
I applied for an e-saver account whilst in an IVA and it was accepted.
If Football was meant to have been played in the air then God would have put Grass in the Sky
23 posts Page 1 of 2
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”