Taking the plunge

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
12 posts Page 1 of 1

sunkendrailer

Post by sunkendrailer » Sun May 09, 2010 5:07 pm
Hi all.
Just a quick update from me (as I'm meant to be working!)....
Thanks to Mel's team, I've now signed all the relevant paperwork and have put it into the post.
It's been a tough couple of months, battling with my conscience and taking a tough decision which I know is going to be for the best.
I'm now, like many others on here before, going to wait with baited breath for the outcome of my proposal.
Fingers crossed - but I can't help feeling a little negative today because it could be the start of the rest of my life, or it could mean I end up with countless defaults and slipping into arrears.
I am very worried - but I'm had lots of assurances from you guys and from Mel that I should be OK.

Oh...and by the way...my default notices have finally started arriving. Had one from one of my creditors yesterday saying I need to bring the account up to date in the next 7 days or face being referred to a debt collection agency....very scary and worrying. I've just forwarded this letter on to Mel. I hope this is the right thing to do.
Now debt free after F&F in July 2012.

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Sun May 09, 2010 5:19 pm
Good luck sunkendrailer.

Don't worry about the threats about debt collectors - it's the way they do things and you are well on the way to sorting out your IVA.

Don't let them bully you!

Mel will sort out the default notices for you. They're par for the course I'm afraid.
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.
http://kallis3.blogs.iva.co.uk

Lisa2009

Post by Lisa2009 » Sun May 09, 2010 6:32 pm
Good luck with your proposal. You're in safe hands x
http://mrsskint.blogs.iva.co.uk/ 'Our Story'

Nil carborundum illegitimi

Shining

Post by Shining » Sun May 09, 2010 6:44 pm
and Good luck from myself too, you really ARE in safe hands. x
IVA final payment left the bank on the 26th January 2013...looking forward to a debt free future.

steppingstones

Post by steppingstones » Sun May 09, 2010 7:26 pm
i did exactly what you did, and forwarded on all letters from my creditors to Melanie's office. I know what you mean when you say that the tone of the letters is worrying but nothing ever came from the threats in the letters from my creditors.
Try not to let it worry you too much because you really are in safe hands.

Gettingthere

Post by Gettingthere » Sun May 09, 2010 9:24 pm
Can understand what you are going through at the moment, I sent my proposal off and one week later not a nice letter turned up from American Express (even though they were owed little in the scheme of things) saying that they had canceled my card (not bothered, had not been using anyway) and that all monies were repayable immediately, then said that my family members (nothing to do with the IVA as I live with elderly mother and disabled sister) would find it difficult to get credit because of me if the balance was not cleared in 4 weeks. Have to say I was knocked sideways with that and thought that maybe I had done the wrong thing even though I did not have any other option but it does get better, there are difficult times and nearly 4 weeks into the IVA I am still getting hassled by mail and phone (Santander and MBNA please stand up)you just have to hang on and you will get there as I am and many more in the same position, it will work out.
Take care and hope all is well for you.

Shining

Post by Shining » Mon May 10, 2010 2:54 pm
If for any reason your credit rating affects anyone in your household which it shouldn't they can file a 'disassociation' I think it's called on their file. x
IVA final payment left the bank on the 26th January 2013...looking forward to a debt free future.

Gettingthere

Post by Gettingthere » Mon May 10, 2010 7:38 pm
Hi Helen / Lesley, many thanks for the words of comfort from people who have gotten through the worst of it, the letter I got from AE was about 3 days before my creditors meeting and I think they were just trying (and succeeded at the time)to frighten me into paying money which was obvious I could not afford, and they were the only ones to vote against my proposal so I guess they wanted their ounce of flesh if at all possible.
Take care

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Mon May 10, 2010 7:49 pm
The only way it will impact on your family is if you have any joint debt with them, so nothing to worry about.

They'll try anything won't they?

Lesley is right as well - you can file a notice of disassociation if needs be.
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.

justsurviving

Post by justsurviving » Mon May 10, 2010 7:56 pm
MBNA! they're persistent I'll give them that, despite two letters stating I'm having an IVA proposal drawn up and being told the same numerous times on the phone the letters and phone calls still keep coming and all the letters are duly scanned and emailed to Mel's team. The default notices are coming thick and fast and now from people who have previously acknowledged we're entering into an IVA (what's that all about?) and all, again, are scanned and emailed I bet it's getting to a stage where Angela (one of mels team) is opening her inbox and saying 'oh my god not him again!!' but we're getting closer each day to getting it sorted so although the worry is there, it's not out of control knowing our interests are being looked after by Mel and her team.
Last edited by justsurviving on Mon May 10, 2010 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MelanieGiles

Industry Expert
Post by MelanieGiles » Mon May 10, 2010 7:58 pm
Not at all! We are just grateful that you are keeping us informed about the situation, and the most recent creditor information.
Regards, Melanie Giles, Insolvency Practitioner

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Mon May 10, 2010 8:06 pm
You would think that the creditors would be concerned about the amount of rain forests being destroyed sending all these letters out![:D]
Bob Marley.
12 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”