Problem creditor

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
24 posts Page 1 of 2

xxxxx54

Post by xxxxx54 » Sat Jan 09, 2010 3:58 pm
Has anyone got experience of dealing with an IVA where a creditor is a serious criminal attempting blackmail and/or extortion on the debtor?

Max

Post by Max » Sat Jan 09, 2010 4:26 pm
After reading your post I telephoned the local Samaritan's volunteer solicitor - a Crwon Prosecutor in her day time job - her reply was that you should immediately, without any delay, go to the police -make a full statement and I was assured the police will protect you and your name will not be mentioned in subsequent Court proceedings.

MelanieGiles

Industry Expert
Post by MelanieGiles » Sat Jan 09, 2010 5:00 pm
I absolutely agree with Max's advice on this point.
Regards, Melanie Giles, Insolvency Practitioner

xxxxx54

Post by xxxxx54 » Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:55 pm
A restraining order has been granted by the court, yet he still persists and even puts his 'demands' in writing to my Solicitor. I am liaising with the OFT as he has a CCL licence, but need a strong IVA company who won't be frightened by this criminal.
Can anybody help?

MelanieGiles

Industry Expert
Post by MelanieGiles » Sun Jan 10, 2010 12:05 am
No-one should be frightened of a bully who is using unfair tactics to put you under pressure. There is clearly a disturbed relationship between the pair of you which an IP would need to understand more about, and if this person is owed more than 25% of your overall debt they may reject your proposals out of spite - but the sooner you take advice the sooner you will feel back in control again.
Regards, Melanie Giles, Insolvency Practitioner

Max

Post by Max » Sun Jan 10, 2010 9:27 am
My second piece of advice is for you to give Melanie Giles a ring - noone will scare her - Melanie ia an ex- Army Officer! Not only that Melanie will be able to help you get out of this mess and set you forward. She is a brilliant IP

Shining

Post by Shining » Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:07 am
I would take some professional advice from an IP, details of some IP's and some reviews can be found at www.iva.com by contacting 2 or 3 companies you will get free, impartial advice and I would tell them everything and hopefully you'll find someone to act on your behalf that will put an end to this situation.

I wish you well.
IVA final payment left the bank on the 26th January 2013...looking forward to a debt free future.

Adam Davies

Post by Adam Davies » Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:19 am
Hi
How much of your overall unsecured debt do they hold ?
Regards
Andam Davies

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Sun Jan 10, 2010 11:09 am
Sorry to hear that you have problems - he sounds a nasty piece of work!

Phone any of the companies who post on here with regards to possibly sorting out an IVA. It may be that once a professional gets involved as well the creditor comes to his senses and backs off.
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.
http://kallis3.blogs.iva.co.uk

johnnybriggs

Post by johnnybriggs » Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:43 pm
Even harassment is an offence under s40 of the Administration of Justice Act 1970 but extortion and blackmail would certainly require police attention.

Anyone with a consumer credit license has to behave in a fit and proper way or the OFT will cancel it (yes they can and yes they do).
JB

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:51 pm
Have you actually been to the police xxxxx54, or was the restraining order done via your solicitor?

If you haven't, I would seriously suggest that you do so. You may not be the only debtor he is harrassing and we need to put a stop to this sort of behaviour.
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.
http://kallis3.blogs.iva.co.uk

martgoingmad

Post by martgoingmad » Mon Jan 11, 2010 7:07 pm
Hello all,

How did this creditor get a CCL in the 1st place?

You must contact the police if you have not already done so, this sort of person stops people from seeking help when they really need it.

Martyn
To err is human. To teach 16-21 year olds is just damn crazy!!!
IVA Started October 2009.
33 months down - 27 to go

xxxxx54

Post by xxxxx54 » Sun Jan 17, 2010 3:22 pm
xxxxx54 wrote:

Has anyone got experience of dealing with an IVA where a creditor is a serious criminal attempting blackmail and/or extortion on the debtor?

xxxxx54

Post by xxxxx54 » Sun Jan 17, 2010 3:30 pm
I have debts of £191k with a bank that are second charged on both of two properties, £15k on a bank overdraft, £120k to a family member, £126k to this criminal who is threatening me with blackmail trying to obtain up to £1.5m and a disputed tax bill of £100k potentially. I have the potential through a couple of business transactiions to relaise profits of anything between £1m and £7m in the coming months, but dependent on claims against a banks and an Administrator.
I am dealing with the OFT on the criminal front, along with the Police, but would want an IVA with someone who knows what they are getting into as this character hassles my Solicitor almost daily, even turning up at his office uninvited trying to get him to get me to agree to his demands!
Is there an IP out there who will take this on and if so, how much will it cost?
I do not want to avoid paying any bills, I want to pay everyone 100% of their debts, I just the time to realise the profits from elsewhere and get this criminal off my back that will enable me to pay everyone.

Cath

Post by Cath » Sun Jan 17, 2010 3:39 pm
Gosh, I hope you can get it all sorted it does sound very complex and well out of everyday context. Good luck x
7 year IVA completed in December 2016 - there is light at the end of that tunnel
24 posts Page 1 of 2
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”