4th Year Re-mortgaging

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
54 posts Page 1 of 4

kalf

Post by kalf » Thu Jun 04, 2009 11:05 am
Hi, I am new to this. Have seen many posts referring to some clause about 4th year re-mortgage or equity release. I have no idea what this is, but in my circumstances there is no way I could remortgage, Could anyone explain please?

Welsh Boy

Post by Welsh Boy » Thu Jun 04, 2009 11:16 am
kalf

There is I believe a clause in an IVA that states that you would have to look to try and obtain a remortgage in the 4th year of your IVA.

Obviously with the current climate this is not always possible.

I am sure one of the IP`s will come on and tell you what happens if a remortgage isn`t possible.

You say that "in your circumstances that there is no way you can remortgage", why is that.Tony
F.P.C. 1,2,3 Qualified
Financial Planning Certificate
CeMap Qualified
Whole of Market Mortgage Broker
Managing Director : Debt Advisory Bureau
Debt Advisory 4U
Principal : All Mortgage Products

Directly Authorised with FSA :304244

Michael Peoples

Industry Expert
Post by Michael Peoples » Thu Jun 04, 2009 11:45 am
Creditors expect clients to remortgage in year four to a maximum of 85% loan to value. If it is not possible to do this because of income, age lack of products etc the IVA can be extended by 12 months for additional payments to be made.
Michael Peoples | McCambridge Duffy Insolvency Practitioners
http://www.mccambridgeduffy.com
If you would like to talk to me about proposing an IVA or have any questions at all please visit www.mccambridgeduffy.com

kalf

Post by kalf » Thu Jun 04, 2009 11:46 am
Hi Tony. I had skin cancer over a year ago, nothing to worry about as mine was the one that rarely spreads, but this now affects my husband and myself getting another mortgage. My husband would never be accepted getting a mortgage in his name only on his wages, as such a remortgage is a no-go. Kal

kalf

Post by kalf » Thu Jun 04, 2009 11:50 am
Hi Michael, so in our circumstances an IVA is likely to last 6 years? Bankruptcy is getting to sound better all the time.

Michael Peoples

Industry Expert
Post by Michael Peoples » Thu Jun 04, 2009 11:55 am
If there is equity and you cannot remortgage you will almost certainly face a six year IVA. You could try a five year and exclude the house on the grounds that you cannot remortgage but it is likely that creditors will extend the term. It there is no equity now bankruptcy may well be the best option as you will not have to worry about any subsequent recovery in house prices given you will benefit and not your creditors.
If you would like to talk to me about proposing an IVA or have any questions at all please visit www.mccambridgeduffy.com

kalf

Post by kalf » Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:20 pm
House is at moment in negative equity. If in 5 years house is still in negative equity and no chance of remortgaging, will creditors then expect to extend period of IVA?

rollercoasterride

Post by rollercoasterride » Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:25 pm
I too am confused about this clause. Do I understand it right that if I remortgage, the creditors get any equity, my monthly payments stay the same, yet my mortgage has increased?? Surely this is only putting us back on the rocky path of debt, by increasing our mortgage payments which will still be there once IVA is complete??? I am only in the second year of IVA, but am worrying about this already.

Michael Peoples

Industry Expert
Post by Michael Peoples » Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:38 pm
If there is no equity in year four the IVA will cease at the end of year five. If there is equity and can be released the IVA payments will reduce or cease to take into account the increased mortgage payments. If there is equity but it cannot be raised by way of remortgage the IVA will be extended by up to twelve months.

I hope this is clearer but if not let me know.

kalf

Post by kalf » Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:49 pm
Ok, thanks Michael, all has now become clear. So I can only hope house stays in negative equity, otherwise will have IVA extended by another year. At least I can prepare myself for this.

Michael Peoples

Industry Expert
Post by Michael Peoples » Thu Jun 04, 2009 1:23 pm
It does not have to be in negative so long as the equity is less than about £5k. Only equity above that is sought to be released by creditors.

kabby3

Post by kabby3 » Thu Jun 04, 2009 8:01 pm
Currently at this stage of my Iva and am waiting a variation regarding my equity (or lack of it) at beginning of IVA had about 14000 now have about 2000 so I have a clause which states that IVA could be extended up to 12 months in lieu of equity.
On the slow safe road to success. Personal thanks to Melanie Giles Kallis Skippy Elv5 and all the other wonderful forum friends.

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Thu Jun 04, 2009 8:07 pm
Check your proposal/chairmans report.

Most of them will say that if you have equity below £5000 then the house is taken out of the equation and your IVA will conclude after 5 years.

Check with your IP.
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.
http://kallis3.blogs.iva.co.uk

Shining

Post by Shining » Thu Jun 04, 2009 8:12 pm
Good post thanks for explaining as I was a little unsure about this, even being in an IVA for 18months now! I just thought I'd ask nearer the time!
IVA final payment left the bank on the 26th January 2013...looking forward to a debt free future.

plasticdaft

Forum Expert

Post by plasticdaft » Thu Jun 04, 2009 8:33 pm
kalf wrote:

Ok, thanks Michael, all has now become clear. So I can only hope house stays in negative equity, otherwise will have IVA extended by another year. At least I can prepare myself for this.
If the house is in negative equity you do realise that the likelyhood is if you go BR you would KEEP the house without any hassle??
Have a long hard look at the options and please dont avoid bankruptcy because of any stigma etc. It serves a purpose and may be the right way forward for you.
Make sure you arent in careers that may be affected by bankruptcy before deciding. And keep posting.

Paul.
Discharged today the 8th feb 2012. View is much brighter now.
Continuing to rebuild our credit worthiness.
54 posts Page 1 of 4
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”