We started our iva 2 years ago

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
6 posts Page 1 of 1

helen_h

Post by helen_h » Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:04 am
We started our iva 2 years ago after our clothing shop closed. My husband is a driving instructor and now needs a new car as his has 130,000 miles on it but with an iva we are unable to finance this. It is so frustrating as his business is doing well but obviously without a car he can't work. The only option we can see is to go bankrupt whcich we don' t want to do! Our iva manager has been no help and even told us that the only option was to come up with a car loan ourselves! This is not possible under terms of iva and no finance company will do that. Help!

emma_t

Post by emma_t » Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:26 am
Hi Helen and welcome to the forum

Do they not understand that your husband needs a car to work to be able to fund the iva payments?

I think it would be best to have a chat with your IP (Insolvency Practitioner) rather than your iva manager to see if they can do anything to help - maybe a payment break?

You can miss 3 payments during the duration of your iva before it would be classed as a default and your iva could fail, so maybe this could be an option.

I am not an professional, so wait for one of our forum IP's to answer your post and they will give some advice.

Goos Luck
Emma
Be positive & look after yourself, there are more important things in life than debts....

Best Wishes

Emma x

Michael Peoples

Industry Expert
Post by Michael Peoples » Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:35 am
Your husband could consider leasing a car if this is financially viable or if you have a good friend or relative who could take the HP out for you this could be an option. You can obtain credit in an IVA with the consent of the supervisor and there should be no problem with consent if the funds are to be used for your husband's business.
Michael Peoples | McCambridge Duffy Insolvency Practitioners
http://www.mccambridgeduffy.com
If you would like to talk to me about proposing an IVA or have any questions at all please visit www.mccambridgeduffy.com

sparklywatcher

Post by sparklywatcher » Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:59 am
I actually thought part of an IVA was to agree not to obtain any further credit during an IVA, is that incorrect?
Creditors meeting set for 2nd June....

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:02 pm
You are not supposed to take out any credit over £500 without the permission of your IP, but in certain circumstances, particularly if work is reliant upon it, then it can be agreed.

If you cannot work because of not having a reliable car, then the IVA will fail. Far better that car finance be factored in so that the creditors will still get some money back.
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.
http://kallis3.blogs.iva.co.uk

Michael Peoples

Industry Expert
Post by Michael Peoples » Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:13 pm
As Jan says it depends on the type of credit and is up to your supervisor to give consent for any application. If the credit obtained benefits the IVA and improves the chances of the IVA being completed successfully, the supervisor ought to grant consent. This seems to be the situation with your husband. If he obtains a new car not only will it allow him to continue making his IVA payments but if his business improves he may be in a position to increase his payments and improve the dividend on offer to creditors.
Michael Peoples | McCambridge Duffy Insolvency Practitioners
http://www.mccambridgeduffy.com
If you would like to talk to me about proposing an IVA or have any questions at all please visit www.mccambridgeduffy.com
6 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”