New bank account

28 posts Page 1 of 2

Moneystinks

Post by Moneystinks » Fri Apr 11, 2008 6:11 pm
After a frustrating and long day yesterday we received a call today from the Abbey giving us our new bank account details.[:)] This was a huge relief as I went into a state of panic when Co op 'referred' our application for a cashminder[:(][:(]
One thing I need to know is can you have a cheque book whilst going through this whole IVA procedure? The reason I ask is I pay for childcare/school trips etc by cheque at the moment as my son is typical of his age and can lose money before he has even left the house!![}:)]

pm5

Post by pm5 » Fri Apr 11, 2008 6:18 pm
Hi moneystinks, i dont think you are allowed a cheque book whilst in an IVA, but you are allowed to have a pre paid debit card as that way you only spend money you have.

debtfreesusie67

Post by debtfreesusie67 » Fri Apr 11, 2008 6:23 pm
You could always get a cashiers cheque.
Sue
Hugs
Sue
The only way is up

Moneystinks

Post by Moneystinks » Fri Apr 11, 2008 6:29 pm
Thanks for that - something to bear in mind.

When opening the Abbey account they said that you can only open one basic account so if we had a basic account else where then we wouldn't qualify? Why is this?

I refrained from saying that getting one basic account was proving hard enough LOL[:D]

jpj

Post by jpj » Fri Apr 11, 2008 6:30 pm
Oh.....Ive had a cheque book all the way through my IVA!! Have I been naughty?? :o0

pm5

Post by pm5 » Fri Apr 11, 2008 6:34 pm
Hi jpj, im surprised they never asked you to send that back to them along with your debit card if you had one, as when my IVA went through i had to send mine & cut my cards up too, then send to my supervisor.
Perhaps each IVA rules are different.

lily

Post by lily » Fri Apr 11, 2008 6:40 pm
Moneystinks even

I opened a basic account with lloyds and then about six months later opened another with coop. I told coop that I had a basic account with lloyds but because it only comes with a cashcard and you can only draw money out of lloyds machinces. I opened a cashminder account but I went into the branch in person. I wanted a debit card and the cashminder comes with a debit card. So I have two basic accounts, so either Abbey's pants are on fire or they cant know what they are talking about.
Last edited by lily on Fri Apr 11, 2008 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lily

jpj

Post by jpj » Fri Apr 11, 2008 6:42 pm
My current account was linked to my mortgage account as it was an offset one..maybe thats why it all carried on as normal!

lily

Post by lily » Fri Apr 11, 2008 6:44 pm
Its credit facilities that youre not allowed so I think a cheque book is OK.
lily

Moneystinks

Post by Moneystinks » Fri Apr 11, 2008 6:46 pm
I think pants on fire!

Thanks for that - just grateful they gave us an account for now lol.

lily

Post by lily » Fri Apr 11, 2008 6:48 pm
Yes I know, I was almost in tears and shaking when I got my basic at the begining. Horrible time, right???
lily

Moneystinks

Post by Moneystinks » Fri Apr 11, 2008 6:50 pm
When Coop referred I totally broke down and rang Melanie - I mean what could she do?? She was nice though and that made me worse. Myoh ended up having to speak to her - I'm such a dumbo!!

lily

Post by lily » Fri Apr 11, 2008 6:59 pm
No youre not, dont think that. I was exactly the same. I asked Lloyds for a debit card on the phone and they asked me into the branch, so I went in and explained that with the cashcard its so difficult to get my money and live, plus I was mugged outside the branch once, not seriously but I was scared to stand there. They refused and made me feel terrible, I walked out of the branch feeling so worthless, I sat on the bench, thinking how did I come to be so desperate??? This elderly man spoke to me and I just burst into tears in the middle of my little town, felt so stupid, but this debt thing takes everything away from you, I dont mean money but your worth, self esteem, what used to make you tick. You jump when the phone rings, panic when you see a strange car coming into your close, if anyone knocks your door, youre jelly. It takes time to adjust.

I digress, the coop referred mine too, but I got a letter of acceptance around 10 days later.
Last edited by lily on Fri Apr 11, 2008 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lily

jpj

Post by jpj » Fri Apr 11, 2008 7:19 pm
I steer clear of the branches...I went in the other day and the cashier said my account was up for regular review..I booked a meeting but never turned up...they would only try and sell me loans and credit,I would then have to say no thanks im in an IVA,and they would then close my account!!

Got my letter from the IVA council today...was kind of chuffed in a way...everyone else on the forum has had one!! I didnt know wether to frame it or shred it!!...its only taken them 2 years to send it!!

I shredded it !! :o)

Moneystinks

Post by Moneystinks » Fri Apr 11, 2008 7:41 pm
I think after yesterday I will be steering clear. It was awful I felt like a fraud.

Thanks again lily - you are so nice......

Thanks re co op aswell I will ring on Monday as they requested now.
28 posts Page 1 of 2
Return to “postings for april”