That time of yr, car insurance and breakdown cover

10 posts Page 1 of 1

Endsmeet

Post by Endsmeet » Thu Jul 10, 2008 8:56 pm
That time of yr has come where I have to pay my car insurance and breakdown cover.

Just had my annual I&E review and my I.P. said that 'technically' paying monthly for my insurance is obtaining credit but we should be ok with that..phew[^]

Also, Ive just seen an offer from ASDA and they do R.A.C. breakdown cover for 75 approx a yr and you can pay monthly rather than spending a lump sum all at once.
Its also much cheaper, about 30pound+ than the other breakdown companies as its the full cover, roadside,recovery and at home

I have applied for this and all seems ok, will be paying approx 6pound a month by direct debit and you can apply online

I suppose that 'technically' its also credit but again if you fail to make your monthly payments, they will just cancel the insurance/breakdown cover and owe them nothing won't they?

MelanieGiles

Industry Expert
Post by MelanieGiles » Thu Jul 10, 2008 8:57 pm
It is not credit - it is paying for your insurance in stage payments. If you fail to make one of the payments then the insurance is cancelled.
Regards, Melanie Giles, Insolvency Practitioner

Endsmeet

Post by Endsmeet » Thu Jul 10, 2008 9:01 pm
Hi Mel, yeh thats what I am thinking but I have seen a renewal letter from one company saying that they may do a credit check, I suppose its just to confirm your address etc?

kal

Post by kal » Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:43 pm
Have a look on Compare.co.uk for Breakdown cover - I am with the RAC and pay a fortune for our cover - I found one on there for about £42 for the whole year...well worth a look.
I pay for my car insurance monthly - not sure how they would expect yu to pay otherwise.
k.

Skippy

Post by Skippy » Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:17 am
I've always paid for my insurance in a lump sum, in the old days by credit card and more recently by borrowing from my uncle and paying him back. This year I thought I'd try and pay by direct debit, not expecting for one minute that they'd say yes, but I had no problem and the first payment went out today!

Skippy

Post by Skippy » Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:23 am
I've just had a look at the Asda RAC cover and I'll definitely apply when mine expires in October!

Endsmeet

Post by Endsmeet » Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:54 am
It is really good value IF you require the full package of Roadside,Recovery and At Home, much cheaper than anywhere else and a nice option of paying monthly with no extra charges.

Just an update on the car insurance thing, I have had another look at the letter/renewal that I mentioned earlier and it does state that they may do a credit check for your credit status and identification purposes, obviously they haven't done a check on me as my rating is ....well[|)]

But it would have been interesting if they had of, would they have refused to insure me, who knows?

Skippy

Post by Skippy » Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:09 am
I like to have an all singing all dancing breakdown package as when I wrote my car off coming back from holiday a few years ago it came in very handy!

I don't think Churchill can have credit checked me either!

greeneyes34

Post by greeneyes34 » Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:40 am
I insure my car through the RAC and I get a deal on their breakdown cover. Just as well as I had to use it twice last year. Breaking down in roadworks on the M25 is no fun i can tell you! lol. Mine is up for renewel next march hopefully will have enough put away by then.
Full and Final agreed 28th October 2010.

plasticdaft

Forum Expert

Post by plasticdaft » Fri Jul 11, 2008 1:02 pm
Endsmeet wrote:

It is really good value IF you require the full package of Roadside,Recovery and At Home, much cheaper than anywhere else and a nice option of paying monthly with no extra charges.

Just an update on the car insurance thing, I have had another look at the letter/renewal that I mentioned earlier and it does state that they may do a credit check for your credit status and identification purposes, obviously they haven't done a check on me as my rating is ....well[|)]

But it would have been interesting if they had of, would they have refused to insure me, who knows?
They may have just asked for the 1st 2 months payments in advance that way if you stop paying and they cancel the policy they are still up moneywise.
Discharged today the 8th feb 2012. View is much brighter now.
Continuing to rebuild our credit worthiness.
10 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “postings for july”