Savings account

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
6 posts Page 1 of 1

Sorrel

Post by Sorrel » Wed May 25, 2011 2:02 pm
I want to open a savings account to set aside money from a personal injury claim as my creditors are not entitled to it, but my bank (Co-op) will not give me a savings account. Can anybody suggest a bank or building society who have provided savings accounts for people with an IVA?

Judo

Post by Judo » Wed May 25, 2011 2:10 pm
I am not sure about this Sorrel.
I think it might be a bit of a struggle to open a savings account, although I have seen it happen with a couple of posters. Yorkshire building society might be an option. Other than that, could you not just open another cashminder account and put savings in there?

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Wed May 25, 2011 6:11 pm
Hi -- I opened an e-saver account with the Yorkshire Building Society (not bank). Online access and an ATM card is very useful. Took a few minutes online and was opened there and then.

I also emailed the CEO of Skipton Building Society and he confirmed that they do not do a credit search when opening savings accounts so an IVA should not be a hindrance.
My opinions are merely that .. opinions based on experience. Always seek professional advice.
IVA Completed 23rd July 2013 .... C.C. 10th January 2014

Pandy

Post by Pandy » Wed May 25, 2011 6:13 pm
I have a saver account with Nat West , I also have the Step Account as my bank account
If life is what you make it, I must have been in a strange mood when I made mine

barb

Post by barb » Wed May 25, 2011 7:45 pm
Hi Sorrel and welcome to the forum.
I have a saver account with Natwest also but I found this was too easy to dip into towards the end of the month!! so I opened a cash isa with the Post Office as you don't have instant access to your money so we were not as tempted to withdraw and have now managed to save alittle (paid for the majority of the MOT bill).
Good luck in getting sorted.
shy bairns get nowt, the worst your IP can do is say no!

langerbridge

Post by langerbridge » Wed May 25, 2011 7:49 pm
Hi sorrel, I have opened 2 accounts first with Yorkshire building society second with Norwich and Peterborough building society whilst in my IVA. As long as your on electoral roll I can't see it being a problem.
The road is 72months long starting September 2010.
6 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”