Saving Money Tip

18 posts Page 1 of 2

Til

Post by Til » Wed Aug 27, 2008 7:21 pm
Hi all,

Don't know if this is appropriate for the forum but figured every way to save cash helps us all out and this was something I was really frettign about... We have to MOT both our cars over the next 6 weeks so dreading paying for it - however have found this tip on a well known website!
The Big Trick To Cut Costs - Use local MOT centres.

This is all about using Local Council/Government MOT test centres. Many local councils have their own MOT testing stations for council vehicles (i.e. buses and ambulances). Yet by law these test centres must be open to the general public. As they only carry out tests, and not repairs, there's no incentive for mechanics to find faults that don't exist.
So I looked on website and low and behold we have one near us! Plus ours gives free retests within 2 weeks! It charges £50 MOT which is about £10 more than the local garage prices near us at the mo but figured with no 'incentive' to fail us we would at least get an honest MOT and then if work does need doing we can shop around. No more relying on advice that stuff needs doing when they are keen to get your repair business too!

So I am all booked in and really hoping it saves us a few squid!

The well known website is http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/travel/cheap-mot - hope it is ok to post this on here - sorry admin if not! **

Hope this may help any of us with MOT's coming up

[:D]** OK.. thanks for the link admin
"Hope is the feeling you have that the feeling you have isn't permanent." - Jean Kerr

IVA approved Aug 2008 - 6 year term - last payment made 6 Oct 2014. CC received 14 Nov 2014.

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Wed Aug 27, 2008 7:26 pm
Good tip Til.

We use a place near us that is similar. It only charges £40, but you know you won't get ripped off.

Our local Renault dealer is doing an MOT for £40 plus free AA membership.
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.
http://kallis3.blogs.iva.co.uk

angelrainbow

Post by angelrainbow » Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:03 pm
Yes, most councils do this and if you work for them you can get even more off.
Completion Certificate received September 2012.

Til

Post by Til » Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:06 pm
Yeah Angel I was gutted when he asked me if I worked for council as that would affect price - oh if only ha ha!

But still hoping to save money in end as my nearest garage always says I need a tire and a bulb - every year I went! How may years in a row could you need a tire and a bulb for goodness sake!!!! Think they may have pulled a fast one on me there LOL [:I]
"Hope is the feeling you have that the feeling you have isn't permanent." - Jean Kerr

IVA approved Aug 2008 - 6 year term - last payment made 6 Oct 2014. CC received 14 Nov 2014.

angelrainbow

Post by angelrainbow » Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:17 pm
Til, I had one car that used to eat lighbulbs...kept spares in the glove box as it was always blowing them..bliddy thing! It was like seatbelt on, check mirrors, insert new bulb....
Completion Certificate received September 2012.

Til

Post by Til » Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:25 pm
Oh no what a pain - not sure I would know how to change a bulb even if I had to so very impressed!!! Not mechanically minded me!

Keeping fingers crossed for MOT pass this time but doubt it!!! [:)]

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:30 pm
Just make sure you check all those lights before you go!
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.

LoneRanger

Post by LoneRanger » Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:46 pm
I dont get any work that is needed done at the place i go to and it costs £38 and then my OH dads mate does any work for next to nothing
Steve.

IVA approved!

Skippy

Post by Skippy » Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:50 pm
My friend's boyfriend is a mechanic so he serviced my car and took it for it's MOT this year so at least I got the service done cheap, and I know that it was done properly.

kal

Post by kal » Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:50 pm
I recently changed my car insurance to Kwik Fit (cheapest one on GoCompare), and they give a free MOT.....bonus!!! Probably end up with them finding some sort of work to do for the normal fee mind you!!
k.

Skippy

Post by Skippy » Wed Aug 27, 2008 9:10 pm
I had my insurance with Kwik Fit a few years ago and the discount was excellent. I did go in to get a tyre checked and ended up with 4 new tyres and new shock absorbers though! The only problem was when I did a quote on a comparison site a couple of years ago they kept ringing me and wouldn't take no for an answer. I did another quote a couple of nights ago and took Kallis's advice - there's probably someone in a Kwik Fit call centre trying to get me on 01234123456!

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Wed Aug 27, 2008 10:48 pm
It does stop those annoying insurance phone calls!

I get so annoyed at being asked for my number when I only want a quote. If I then go back and buy the stuff, THEN they can have my number!
Bob Marley.

Wizzard

Post by Wizzard » Sun Aug 31, 2008 2:16 pm
A few Years ago I came across an old Austin Mayflower, which is the car My Grand father used to drive and I had many fond memories of it. However, I soon got rid of it as when one bulb died I couldn't get to the cluster to fit it. so I took it to a garage and the cost would have been £57 as it required removing half the front end ... Needless to say I didn't replace the bulb and flogged the car as soon a possible.
I have since been told I was being conned .. but even so .. I couldn't figure out how to fit bulb without removing a front wing.
Last edited by Wizzard on Sun Aug 31, 2008 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
When I was young I was called a rugged individualist
When I was in my fifties I was considered eccentric
Here I am doing and saying the same things I did back then and now I'm labelled senile

j**************

Post by j************** » Wed Sep 03, 2008 7:22 am

Advertising is not allowed on this forum, please go away and pester someone who is interested!

My eagle eye is looking out for you.
Last edited by j************** on Wed Sep 03, 2008 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Viki.W

Post by Viki.W » Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:15 am
Kallis, I think this is spam!
If you would like to talk to me about your debt problems, please visit:
http://www.vincentbond.com/about_us_Viki_Warbrooke.asp
18 posts Page 1 of 2
Return to “money saving tips”