Renting

11 posts Page 1 of 1

DevonLassie

Post by DevonLassie » Mon Aug 13, 2007 5:09 pm
Hi Everyone

What experiences have people had with regards to finding a place to rent?

I am in a rented flat now and when I first moved in the letting agency did a reference check on me, which I assume included a credit agency check. This was all fine as I was not in an IVA at the time. Now I am in an IVA and if I needed to move will I have trouble in getting letting agencies to accept me? I have never been behind in my rent.

Would I have more chance of getting accepted if, say, I got my boyfriend to say he was living with me as well?!

Thanks Devonlass[:)]

MelanieGiles

Industry Expert
Post by MelanieGiles » Mon Aug 13, 2007 5:24 pm
Most private landlords will probably accept you without a credit check, but you could also consider just taking the tenancy agreement out in your partner's name if he has a clean credit rating.

Regards, Melanie Giles, Insolvency Practitioner for over 20 years.

For further details contact me at http://www.melaniegiles.com and view my IVA blog at: http://melaniegiles.blogs.iva.co.uk
Regards, Melanie Giles, Insolvency Practitioner

Chris.z

Post by Chris.z » Mon Aug 13, 2007 5:58 pm
I have just moved and am in an IVA... I was upfront with the letting agency and they just contacted the landlord who was fine with things.

Chris

hymers

Post by hymers » Mon Aug 13, 2007 6:16 pm
I am in an IVA and am renting have done for 4 years, but do worry incase I need to move houses incase my IVA/credit rating affects everything it's a constant worry to me. I think that it may result in some people renting from unscrupulous landlords as opposed to agencies the whole thing really worries me.

Magic

Post by Magic » Mon Aug 13, 2007 7:45 pm
I agree with Hymers but if you always seek advice from your Insolvency Practitioner you will do the right thing always ask because your IVA needs to succeed so you can regain total control of your life!! GOOD LUCK it's hard sometimes to speak personally to someone but most IVA companies can be written to or emailed if you can access email just thought this may help because I have depression I can't always express what I want to say on the phone so put it in writing and get it resolved
Last edited by Magic on Mon Aug 13, 2007 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DevonLassie

Post by DevonLassie » Mon Aug 13, 2007 9:30 pm
Thanks everybody for your views.

I am a bit reluctant to go down the private landlord route as I have had previous problems with getting deposits back from them in the past!

How does an IVA show on your credit file? i.e. if someone does a credit check on me what is said to them? am i right in saying that credit agencies class an IVA as bankruptcy, is that right?
Last edited by DevonLassie on Mon Aug 13, 2007 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MelanieGiles

Industry Expert
Post by MelanieGiles » Mon Aug 13, 2007 9:36 pm
There is perhaps some confusion as to what an IVA actually is, but it is listed as an unsatisfied IVA on your credit record if it is still running. Personally, I would find a tenant in an IVA relatively creditworthy, but I suppose that is because I am in the insolvency business and can see how committed the majority of my clients are.

Regards, Melanie Giles, Insolvency Practitioner for over 20 years.

For further details contact me at http://www.melaniegiles.com and view my IVA blog at: http://melaniegiles.blogs.iva.co.uk
Regards, Melanie Giles, Insolvency Practitioner

Qikichi

Post by Qikichi » Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:30 am
I moved whilst in an IVA and my dad signed as guarantor so it wasn't an issue.
37 payments made, 23 to go.

Oliver

Post by Oliver » Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:33 am
Many people in IVAs and those who have been made Bankrupt do manage to rent. I think it is important to be upfront and honest with prospective landlords and explain the situation. This will usually be enough to overcome any credit report checks that they wish to complete.

Best Regards
Oliver

Thomas Charles and Co Ltd.
Experts in personal debt solutions.
Read customer feedback at: www.thomascharles.com/about_us.asp
Best Regards
Oliver

finebridge

Post by finebridge » Tue Aug 14, 2007 10:11 am
Hi,

I would be in agreement with Olivers comment that more time honesty is the best policy. I have no clients to date that have been unable to move due to being in an IVA. I hope this helps.

Kind Regards

Nikki

Finebridge Ltd
22 Laud Street, Croydon, CR0 1SU
0800 180 4212
www.finebridge.co.uk
Finebridge Ltd
22 Laud Street, Croydon, CR0 1SU
0800 180 4212
www.finebridge.co.uk

iva experts

Post by iva experts » Tue Aug 14, 2007 11:37 am
Devonlassie it is possible to still rent with an estate agent, the most important thing is that you be honest with them regarding your debt situation.

It all depends on the landlord, sometimes as security they may require a larger deposit but if you are upfront with them from the start this will make the process alot easier.

Best Regards. IVA Experts
Best Regards,
Michelle Pontes
IVA Experts
http://www.iva-experts.co.uk/
11 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “mortgages”