Please advise, worried!

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
35 posts Page 1 of 3

forour3littlemonkeys

Post by forour3littlemonkeys » Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:51 am
I have had a card from Aegis today saying they are calling round to my house Saturday between 8am and 9pm - this is on behalf of MBNA! Called DFD who advised me not to answer the door or let them in and they have no right to enter as they haven't been through the courts etc. In this case what do they want? I feel worried and my stomach is in knots. I don't want to have to hide away in my own home and I don't want my neighbours knowing my buisness! I am really feeling the pressure now to get this done and hear either a yes or no, that way we can plan our next step, it's awful being in limbo. What will they do when they get here? I don't think I will be able to go out to avoid them either as one of my little ones has chicken pox!

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:55 am
They all send these cards out - I had several from Mercers and a couple from Halifax. I doubt very much they will send anyone round as it costs them money to do so. They are probably just trying to frighten you into coughing up.

DFD are right - they have no right of entry and you do not have to speak to them if you don't want to. If they do turn up, they will just knock a few times and then go away. They can do nothing else.

Don't let it stress you out and just concentrate on getting your little one well again.
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.
http://kallis3.blogs.iva.co.uk

forour3littlemonkeys

Post by forour3littlemonkeys » Wed Jan 14, 2009 12:04 pm
Thanks Jan, I'm probably overeacting, it's just I've missed payments before, but always managed to handle it some how and haven't ever had anyone come knocking so it scared me a bit. Thanks for replying, your always there to help, thanks!

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Wed Jan 14, 2009 12:06 pm
The only person I know on here who has had a debt collector call was VikiW and her collector went away once she was told that she was applying for an IVA.

Debt collectors will never have the right to come into your house anyway. Just ignore it.
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.

forour3littlemonkeys

Post by forour3littlemonkeys » Wed Jan 14, 2009 12:15 pm
Thanks I feel a lot better now and as you said can carry on concentrating on my little one! I still can't believe this is really happening though at times, it seems surreal, but then we have our health and each other so things could be a lot worse, we can count ourselves lucky in many respects,just feel so foolish getting into this situation!

stirling

Post by stirling » Wed Jan 14, 2009 12:38 pm
Check the wording on this very carefully. I had one of these from Mercers and no one showed up.
When I called them the next day to ask for a company credit card number to pay for my expenses for staying in all day. I was told the card said they would "call" meaning telephone not physically call on the property. Needless to say they didn't pay up either.

hopefulynn

Post by hopefulynn » Wed Jan 14, 2009 1:10 pm
Hi
I had two calls from this company 2 months after my IVA was approved and then a card posted through my door to say they had called - I rang the gentleman who`s name & no was on the card and advised him that I had on previous 2 occasions told his company that I was in an IVA - he apologised for bothering me and advised that he would ensure I was not contacted again - very polite he was and true to his word the calls stopped.

Lyn
x

Michael Peoples

Industry Expert
Post by Michael Peoples » Wed Jan 14, 2009 1:28 pm
The other posters are absolutely correct in that Aegis will not turn up. However, in the unlikely event that anyone ever does turn up you could do what a client of mine did. He giggled and spoke a little incoherently and then invited the debt collector inside to 'See my knife collection'.

The debtor declined his offer, legged it and never came back!
Michael Peoples | McCambridge Duffy Insolvency Practitioners
http://www.mccambridgeduffy.com
If you would like to talk to me about proposing an IVA or have any questions at all please visit www.mccambridgeduffy.com

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Wed Jan 14, 2009 1:32 pm
Nice one![:D][:D][:D]
Bob Marley.

forour3littlemonkeys

Post by forour3littlemonkeys » Wed Jan 14, 2009 2:00 pm
That put a smile on my face Michael Peoples! The card does say they will visit. As I am not yet in an IVA and don't have much ammunition I will hide away cowardly i think!

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Wed Jan 14, 2009 2:02 pm
Not cowardly at all! I think I would do the same.
Bob Marley.

Michael Peoples

Industry Expert
Post by Michael Peoples » Wed Jan 14, 2009 2:13 pm
Chicken pox are a good weapon to put off a debt collector and you could even say it was mumps. That would be enough to have most men scurrying away.
Michael Peoples | McCambridge Duffy Insolvency Practitioners
http://www.mccambridgeduffy.com
If you would like to talk to me about proposing an IVA or have any questions at all please visit www.mccambridgeduffy.com

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Wed Jan 14, 2009 2:18 pm
Winter vomiting bug should go down a treat as well!
Bob Marley.

forour3littlemonkeys

Post by forour3littlemonkeys » Wed Jan 14, 2009 2:18 pm
Good idea, I should have thought that myself after opening the door to the postman this morning who left the parcel on the door step and scurried away rather quickly, then I reaised my little boy had been stood behind me - he is quite a frightening sight poor thing!!

Lisa2009

Post by Lisa2009 » Wed Jan 14, 2009 2:19 pm
OMG i just nearly choked at the knife collection LOL
http://mrsskint.blogs.iva.co.uk/ 'Our Story'

Nil carborundum illegitimi
35 posts Page 1 of 3
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”