Payment break?

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
8 posts Page 1 of 1

s-star2009

Post by s-star2009 » Mon Aug 17, 2009 1:39 pm
Hey Guys,

Just a quickie really, how long does one usually need to be in an IVA to have a payment break? My Car is due for a service and MOT in september and then also new road tax. Im worried about how im going to afford to pay the bill. Ive been in my IVA since May of this year.....[:)]

rayb

Post by rayb » Mon Aug 17, 2009 1:46 pm
Hi,

I do not think there is a minimum time frame at all. Give your IP a call I am sure they will be sympathetic as these are essential bills to pay

Michael Peoples

Industry Expert
Post by Michael Peoples » Mon Aug 17, 2009 1:57 pm
There is an monthly allowance for maintenance and tax and your IP may want to know how you pay these things next year if you are already struggling. They may be sympathetic but may want to be sure that future problems are avoided.
Michael Peoples | McCambridge Duffy Insolvency Practitioners
http://www.mccambridgeduffy.com
If you would like to talk to me about proposing an IVA or have any questions at all please visit www.mccambridgeduffy.com

andrewgoodman121

Post by andrewgoodman121 » Mon Aug 17, 2009 2:07 pm
s-s star,
In an IVA it is not always plain sailing and unfortunately these things do crop up.

You can either bite the bullet and go through the what i call TOUGH MONTH!!

or try speaking to your IP and see if they can Help!!

DON'T FORGET!!! The IP is there for you and are on your side and the creditors.
Try to pay in something to your IVA this month instead of absolutely nothing and hopefully during the IVA you can make up the Shortfall.

s-star2009

Post by s-star2009 » Mon Aug 17, 2009 2:13 pm
Hey guys,

thanks for the replies, im just worried about a hefty 400 pound bill,or even more..! obviously they put aside stuff like "car maintenence" which is fine, i have some money aside, but i drive an S Reg Car, so i know the bill can be high. I will contact my ip and just see what the options are. i have been fine with my finances and no problems at all,its only been a few months ive been in it, so im still getting on my feet to be honest!
I know by next year, this shouldnt be a problem..!

thomo4258

Post by thomo4258 » Mon Aug 17, 2009 2:40 pm
I was involved in a minor fender bender last year when I was with Accuma - although my IVA allows for car maintainence and tax it doesnt allow for a £250 excess when things go really wrong. They were very understanding and allowed me to pay it off over the next few months including a small "token" payment when I first spoke to them.

Skippy

Post by Skippy » Mon Aug 17, 2009 3:16 pm
It's difficult when you have only been in an IVA for a short length of time and haven't had time to save your allowances.

Speak to your IP as they are there to help you - good luck!

MelanieGiles

Industry Expert
Post by MelanieGiles » Mon Aug 17, 2009 3:24 pm
A payment break can be authorised at any time during an IVA depending upon circumstances. People with elderly cars, should really consider whether it may be better to replace the car prior to the IVA, when credit ratings may not be so impaired to stop hire-purchase finance - obviously do not borrow the money on an unsecured basis. They do have to last for five years after all - and tend to get more expensive to repair the older they are.
Regards, Melanie Giles, Insolvency Practitioner
8 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”