Operational Tour Payments

7 posts Page 1 of 1

steve532

Post by steve532 » Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:52 am
Mel, I need some advice! I am shortly about to be deployed on an Operational tour, As your probably aware I will receive an OP bonus plus LSSA, and thanks to Mr Blair/Brown I will not be paying Income Tax while im away, I guess my question is How much of these allowances will I have to pay to my IP? I have the normal modification of 50% of any o/time, bonuses, but surely these are extreme circumstances.

15 down 45 to go!!!!!!!!!
steve

The Stones

Post by The Stones » Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:21 am
I have come on this am to ask a very similar Q. Surely the extra money is a sweetner to say thanks for going out of area! Plus the disruption it causes to family left behind. I look foward to a response on this subject. Firstly can I say that the extra £ is NOT o/t or a bonus (for people who read this post and are not quite sure how these things work)[V]

AlanO

Post by AlanO » Thu Mar 27, 2008 12:25 am
wishing you a safe tour Steve

I have a concern that as the income increases then the 50% will come into play - Hopefully Melanie can advise, also watch out for any arguements that your expenditure may reduce while away, making even more available for an increased payment

Hopefully the supervisor has some discretion

All the best alan

www.debtdr.co.uk

MelanieGiles

Industry Expert
Post by MelanieGiles » Thu Mar 27, 2008 12:59 am
OK - strictly speaking if you have the 50% uplift provision, and it covers additional income, then one way of looking at this is that you ought to pay over half of the saved monies, however depending upon the wording of the provision - which can often be different from IP to IP or creditors modifications, I would try my damnest if you were my clients to avoid you having to pay over the saved taxes and allowances.

The thing about Armed Forces personnel, which I know from my own personal experience, is you can be quids in if you are serving in Germany (less so these days I know) and really on the breadline if posted to Northern Ireland. So, my gut feeling is to allow you to keep the money, but to insist that it be kept to meet any future income shortfalls and to meet your family's additional costs incurred in you being away from home.

I am sure that both of you are probably having to fork out for essential items of kit which are not readily provided to you, and that your families will need some extra funding perhaps for travel and childcare costs.

In my humble opinion you lads (or ladies!) do a fine job for our country, risking your lives on a daily basis, and I am sure that creditors would actually be very happy for you to keep those saved funds. Perhaps your IP would be happy to canvass them to see what their view is on the telephone - I certainly would do that as a matter or course.

The very best of luck with this, let us know how you get on, and most of all keep your heads down and keep safe.
Regards, Melanie Giles, Insolvency Practitioner

steve532

Post by steve532 » Thu Mar 27, 2008 4:40 pm
Thank you Alan for your best wishes and Melanie for your very sound advice as always,
I will speak to my IP on my return as then I will have a clearer view of the savings and extra expenditure (which includes extra LIFE insurance can you believe the MOD dont supply this!!!!!!!)
As you know melanie im with McCambridge Duffy and they have been very flexible with me so far.
Alan dont worry I certainly will be keeping my head down and body armour even closer.

15 down 45 to Go
steve

outofpocket

Post by outofpocket » Thu Mar 27, 2008 5:50 pm
hi steve532 i have just got back from a 6 month tour and have got the same problem. they agreed to me keeping my lssa, but i wait and see. Just like to say it is not a bonus, it is an allowance so no clauses in agreement! In my eyes its more like a windfall. Keep your head down be safe mate.

Skippy

Post by Skippy » Fri Mar 28, 2008 2:38 pm
Good luck to Steve and the Stones - as the others have said, keep safe x
7 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “postings for march”