NatWest...anyone heard of this.

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
24 posts Page 1 of 2

leaKybrain

Post by leaKybrain » Fri Oct 08, 2010 11:19 pm
I used my new account card yesterday for the first time. I did a tesco on line shop....at the end of the shopping and entering the details it gave me the choice to setup the secure code verification thingy, which I did. Shopping won't be delivered til next tuesday so they won't take amount til then.

Anyway half hour later I checks on bank for other things. On my account it had a £2 debit card transactoin which is pending. I don't know what this is, its nothing i have authorised. I rang them, but they couldn't say what it is. Just to wait for it to clear first.

My CA has suggested that its a 'thing' some banks do with brand new accounts. they take out a small figure like £1 or £2 and then refund it later. Its to see if the account is running properly for ins and outs.

I went into the bank tonight to check on this and they couldn't help either, though the lady has said she'll check in the morning and ring me.

Has this happened toyou at all.

Broke of London

Post by Broke of London » Fri Oct 08, 2010 11:27 pm
I've not heard of it before but it sounds plausible especially as your CA has probably helped more people set up new accounts than I've had hot dinners! Worth keeping an eye on it for a few days tho to check the refund comes thru.

love hope and strength

Post by love hope and strength » Fri Oct 08, 2010 11:33 pm
Hi I've had this happen to me in the past, although it has been pennies not pounds, it was refunded. As suggested, I would keep an eye on it to check you get your refund.

Lisa2009

Post by Lisa2009 » Sat Oct 09, 2010 12:26 am
I have also heard of this too
http://mrsskint.blogs.iva.co.uk/ 'Our Story'

Nil carborundum illegitimi

TheMatrix

Post by TheMatrix » Sat Oct 09, 2010 12:38 am
If you ever use paypal and want to confirm your bank account they will pay a few pennies into your account and you have to tell them the exact amount they have added.

Not sure about having a couple of pounds taken out, I'd be quite suspicious if you did not authorise it. Could be a fraudster testing the waters before trying to authorise a larger amount later.
Last edited by TheMatrix on Sat Oct 09, 2010 12:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
We're willing to wipe the slate clean, give you a fresh start. All that we're asking in return is your cooperation.

carole2662

Post by carole2662 » Sat Oct 09, 2010 8:32 am
Hi dont mean to be a scare monger but my daughter had this just before someone used her card details to go shopping. The bank said that thieves do this to check that the card details are still active. Keep an eye on your account just incase

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Sat Oct 09, 2010 8:44 am
I think you will be ok as it was a reputable site you used, but do keep an eye on it just in case.
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.
http://kallis3.blogs.iva.co.uk

Post by 31101932 » Sat Oct 09, 2010 8:56 am
I have found that some merchants will pre-authorise a small amount (usually £1) to verify that a card actually exists.

These amounts have always been refunded to my account after 7 days or so.

Nothing to worry about, but do keep chacking your account.
Last edited by 31101932 on Sat Oct 09, 2010 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Truly

Post by Truly » Sat Oct 09, 2010 9:10 am
I have a very basic account with NATWEST, no o/d or cheque book etc. I've had it for 2 years now.

I don't shop online very often, but when I have, a window comes up at the end for NATWEST asking for authorisation. I think it's quite safe. I've never had any problems.

Hope this helps.

ILuvcats

Post by ILuvcats » Sat Oct 09, 2010 9:16 am
Hi there

I too have shopped online at Tesco a few times and each time the same amount £2.00 has shown before the actual amount has gone out.The balance did not reflect that £2.00 had gone out tho..... then it disappears as though it has never been there. I rang Nat West as it concerned me and the lady knew nothing about it and said it wasnt showing on her screen although it was on mine as i spoke to her. It has only happened with Tesco but it is confusing and if Nat West cant tell us why, who can.................?
In my pre IVA days i banked with TSB and am sure that it didnt happen with my debit card then........hmm
I may ring Tesco and see what they say. If i get an answer, i will post it on here...
ILuvcats

ILuvcats

Post by ILuvcats » Sat Oct 09, 2010 9:26 am
Am back again

Just rung Tesco and they said that is just a ghost payment only done when a new card is used for the first time to ensure that there is funds it the account before proceeding.
ILuvcats

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Sat Oct 09, 2010 9:36 am
Good news, at least it's nothing to worry about.
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.
http://kallis3.blogs.iva.co.uk

TheMatrix

Post by TheMatrix » Sat Oct 09, 2010 9:56 am
Indeed good news, but be careful. I had a debit card cloned whilst in my IVA. The bank called me up and asked if I had just bought a TV in a shop in Leeds as it was flagged to them as an unusual purchase.

I said no, I was miles away at the time in Birmingham and at work!!! So they cancelled and re-issued the card. Hope the police got to the shop and copped the b*****s! Never knew if they did or not.
We're willing to wipe the slate clean, give you a fresh start. All that we're asking in return is your cooperation.

Skippy

Post by Skippy » Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:24 am
A while back I wanted to order a CD from Play.com and the payment was declined. I can't remember the exact figure, but there was just enough in the account to pay for it. What I didn't realise was that Play.com take £1 to 'pre-authorise' the transaction, and therefore took me over the available amount. Not happy!

Shining

Post by Shining » Sat Oct 09, 2010 4:16 pm
Good point there Skippy, good job bank didn't let it go through and you got charges!

I had heard of it previous too. x
IVA final payment left the bank on the 26th January 2013...looking forward to a debt free future.
24 posts Page 1 of 2
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”