LloydsTsb happy to have IVA customers

8 posts Page 1 of 1

steve532

Post by steve532 » Tue Mar 27, 2007 7:16 am
Just to let you all know I opened an account with Lloyds yesterday. I am curently with HSBC but was worried about them closing my account. I was upfront told them I was in IVA. They do a credit check and there was all my BAD credit history. One phone call later I was given a classic account. cheque book, debit card and internet banking.
Be Lucky

steve
steve

dcl

Post by dcl » Tue Mar 27, 2007 10:50 am
Unfortunately I was not so lucky, I tried to open an account with LloydsTSB because I have a HSBC account but they turned me down on the classic account and only offered the basic account even though I am 3 years in to my IVA and have been operating my HSBC account perfectly during these 3 years. Then I spent half an hour with them on the phone asking for the reason to which their reply equated to 'Computer Says No' and wouldn't give me the contact details of where to appeal. I ended up going with Alliance & Leicester but even then I only got a Visa Electron card.
Did you apply in person Steve or over the phone?

gimmewine

Post by gimmewine » Tue Mar 27, 2007 10:58 am
You can always try NatWest. Their basic account still includes a debit card, just no cheque book or overdraft. The only problem I have had with it is that a lot of internet sites do not accept that particular debit card. I have always got round to that by a combination of prepaid credit cards and smiling at ex husband, please order this on line I will bring cash tomorrow.

dcl

Post by dcl » Tue Mar 27, 2007 11:13 am
Natwest is one of my biggest creditors so I can't go through them, my only choices were really Lloyds or A & L, I suppose I'll have to look at one of these prepay credit cards but I do begrudge paying for the privilege of spending my own money.

steve532

Post by steve532 » Tue Mar 27, 2007 1:33 pm
Hi
Yes I applied in person in my local branch. I know it can be embarassing telling people you are in an IVA and used to have debt. But I really feel its better to be honest and up front.
Be Lucky

steve
steve

gimmewine

Post by gimmewine » Tue Mar 27, 2007 1:50 pm
I know it sounds daft and can be embarrassing, but do you have any good friends or family who are aware of the situation? I have a prepaid card which I use for spending abroad, but if I want to purchase something on line and only credit cards are accepted I approach my ex husband. I give him the cash and he orders it on line for me, thus saving me on line fees on the credit card.

Skippy

Post by Skippy » Tue Mar 27, 2007 2:09 pm
I have been amazed at how understanding people have been, both with my IVA, and now my pending bankruptcy. Don't get me wrong, I haven't been shouting it from the rooftops, but I have told my close friends and family and no-one has been funny to me, they have all supported me. It has also turned out that one of my friends has serious debt problems and she is now going to do something about it.

Onwards and upwards!!!

gimmewine

Post by gimmewine » Tue Mar 27, 2007 2:28 pm
I found exactly the same. Two years ago I was in a right pickle with debts rising faster than I could pay them. I had 70k equity in the property and only 25k of unsecured debt, but borrowing limits (4x salary) meant I could only add 18k to the mortgage and my daughters were begging me not to sell.

I was so desperate and depressed, I ended up telling my ex husband and two close friends. Not only were they supportive they helped me out. My friends maintained loan payments between them whilst I was negotiating the remortgage and my ex cashed in 7k on his ISA so I could go ahead. They were absolute stars. I have now paid my friends back and in 5 years time will have paid hubby back as well. Not only did they help me financially, they also lifted the depression, because they made me realise I was not useless, but in fact, wanted as a friend.

Keep heart and don't be afraid to be honest.
8 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “IVA postbag for march”