IVA not happy

5 posts Page 1 of 1

n11xxy

Post by n11xxy » Fri May 23, 2008 6:33 pm
I entered into an IVA 3 years ago, basically I was a joinery contractor and used the tax deducted from sub contractors to keep paying the joiners wages till work picked up. I didnt use any of the money for my own rewards just to soft and didnt want to put anyone out of work.
at the time I was told it was £17000 I owed, I signed a computation from the inland revenue that i accepted this figure, and told interest would be frozen. I had to enter into an IVA and like I said that was 3 years ago, I was told I had to raise the money in a one off payment, no monthly figures would be allowed, and had to remortgage the house (we re mortgaged 3 years ago in June) for £51,000 in that time everything the arrangment has asked I have done. but they have also taken a £3000 tax rebate from 05/06 and a £9000 tax rebate for 06/07 and put that into the arrangement. The inland revenue sent me an email 14 months ago saying they would accept 84p in the £ and now with all the added rebates (which I was told would not be entered into the IVA as it should have been over and done with) they are now accepting 92p in the £
. when I have gone through the IP's expenditure sheet they are charging me £17158.00 is this figure right it seems expensive considering they have not had to work out any monthly payment plans for yrs etc. Not only that everytime there has been a problem, the company just accept it and say they have to push for bankruptcy, I then ring up the Inland Revenue dept that are dealing with the arrangement to explain things and to explain where im up to and what problems I am having etc, and this pacifies them, why am i paying for someone who is not working and fighting for my best interests.
Any help or insight would be helpful as I was relying on the tax rebate to keep head above water as the re-mortgage had to be done with a non high street lender so we are paying ridiculous payments.

regards

mark[V]

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Fri May 23, 2008 7:58 pm
Hi Mark and welcome to the forum. I am not an expert, but one will be along shortly to advise you.
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.
http://kallis3.blogs.iva.co.uk

MelanieGiles

Industry Expert
Post by MelanieGiles » Fri May 23, 2008 8:03 pm
Hi Mark

Your story sounds bizarre to say the least - can I ask which IP firm you are with? I don't understand HMRC contacting you a year after the IVA was accepted saying that they would accept a settelement. What dividend was the IVA originally offering and why have things changed?
Regards, Melanie Giles, Insolvency Practitioner

n11xxy

Post by n11xxy » Fri May 23, 2008 8:42 pm
The IVA company is Ideal Corporate Solutions in Bolton. Inland Revenue originally wanted 100p in the £ and I was told that they would make me bankrupt unless they got that (my IP said this) they said that if I was made bankrupt they would get approx 35p in the £ but they are big enough to hold out for the full payment. after remortgaing I was then informed it was not enough, and I needed more funds. I struggled to re-mortgage as the searches kept showing a pending bankruptcy or something, thats why I ended up paying over the odds with a non high street company. As I have tried my best to fulfill all aspects of the arrangement, I spoke to the Inland Revenue to explain I was already paying my max outlay and couldnt borrow any more, they stipulated if I submitted my returns by 19th April 2007, plus sub-contractor forms they were willing to accept 84p in the £ today I received a letter from Ideal Cororate saying the variation makes it up to 92P and they are cetain it will be accepted. I have not made or been asked for any monthly payment, there has been nothing off set, yet I seem to be paying well over the odds in my opinion.
hope this makes sense, a proffesional friend of mine has suggested going to a solicitor as he said it was supposed to be completed within a year from start to finish.
thank you for reply

MelanieGiles

Industry Expert
Post by MelanieGiles » Fri May 23, 2008 9:15 pm
Those fees are pretty high - but we don't know how much work the IP has had to undertake on your behalf. If you are able to come up with 92p in the now, and this is acceptable to HMRC, the personally I would recommend that the IP gets on with it and you move on.

I think this firm is known to Ian Millington who is another IP who posts on the forum, so he may be able to offer you other advice if he is around.
Regards, Melanie Giles, Insolvency Practitioner
5 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “postings for june”