It just seems to get worse,

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
13 posts Page 1 of 1

tea77

Post by tea77 » Sun Sep 14, 2008 11:35 am
Hi everyone this is my first post and in a way its in part to get something off my chest and ask advise.

Ive been reading the forum for a while and think the support and advise people receive is first class and I know reading some of the post have helped me when am worried or down.

Am coming up to my second annul review and the wheels just seem to have fallen off. My girlfriend of two and a half years (yes she new about the IVA) turned around about a month ago and said she wanted to call it a day… am gutted, as there was nothing I wouldn’t do for her. I’ve been working hard all year to keep my job and so that I can move up the corporate ladder so when my iva finishes we can move in together she can give up work and we can have children we both wanted as the extra money coming in would be another to support us.

One of the reasons she has given for the split is that she doesn’t like me as a person anymore, I;ve been working long hours with no financial rewarded, I work in a Bank (ironic I know) so have been tired at weekends and I admit a bit moody.

The second reason she gives is that she doesn’t understand how I got in to so much debt that I need the IVA. I’ve tried to explain and to be honest am not 100% sure how things got so bad myself a combination of overspending and a few investments that went wrong but that’s in the past and the last two years of the IVA make me think before I spend money, one of the main things ive learnt is to go for quality rather than quantity as it usually cost less in the end.

So that the getting it of my chest bit done hope I haven’t board anyone…

Now for the advice. As I say am coming up to my 2nd year review and revised the letters from my IP yesterday. One of which shocked me. They have asked why I did not increase my payments per a letter sent after my first annul review. I’ve looked at my recorded an have defiantly not received this letter what makes it worse is that I have not received any follow up letters and I have been in contact with my IP a few times this year and nothing has been mentioned. I’ve worked out the diff to be around 2K will I now be forced to pay this as I have NO WAY of getting the funds and to be honest with everything going up this year I probably would not have been able to afforded the full increase anyway… Am going to call my IP first thing Monday morning….

Just one other point before every ones eyes glazed over, which I will bring up with my IP, about six months ago I was offered a job in LA with the bank I work with but due to me been happy with my personal situation I turned it down but as things have changed an I know this job is still open to me I’ve been thinking abut taking it up. Does anybody know if under the IVA there is anything stopping me doing this??

It’s only a two year secondment so would not be permanent.

Thanks for taking the time to read my post

TEA77[V]

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Sun Sep 14, 2008 11:39 am
I'm sorry to hear about the breakdown in your relationship, perhaps your ex partner didn't like not seeing you?

I can't help with your review letter I'm afraid,but one of the technical experts will be along to answer that.

As for LA, I am sure that as long as you can continue to pay your IVA, you would be able to accept the position.

Good luck to you!
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.
http://kallis3.blogs.iva.co.uk

Viki.W

Post by Viki.W » Sun Sep 14, 2008 11:45 am
Hey tea77, welcome to the forum. I'm really sorry about your breakup. What a great opportunity to go to LA, fabulous! Normally it shouldn't cause a problem if you can keep up with the repayments but you really need to talk to your IP to see what is going to happen over your arrears. Please hang in there for a technical expert to advise you. X
If you would like to talk to me about your debt problems, please visit:
http://www.vincentbond.com/about_us_Viki_Warbrooke.asp

MelanieGiles

Industry Expert
Post by MelanieGiles » Sun Sep 14, 2008 11:55 am
Hi there

I recognise you from your name on your profile, and you should give me a ring directly on Monday to discuss this further. You will definately not be required to make up payments you cannot afford to pay, but I would rather discuss a solution with you directly than live on a debt forum.

Turning to your change of circumstances, I am desperately sorry to hear of your relationship breakdown. Debt can cause all sorts of pressures on a relationship, and the non-indebted partner has to be really strong to cope with the burden this brings and have an understanding that whilst things are a little bleak at the moment, you are working towards a better future.

The job in LA sounds just what you are looking for - a change of scene and perhaps this may allow your partner time to rethink as well - absence makes the heart grow fonder and all that! I have lots of clients who now live and work in the US, and happily send their payments and correspondence electronically, and this should not disturb your IVA. Obviously if there is any change to your income and expenditure, this will need to be taken into account at the time of your next review.

Don't worry about this - there will be a simple solution which we will work out together.
Regards, Melanie Giles, Insolvency Practitioner

tea77

Post by tea77 » Sun Sep 14, 2008 12:16 pm
Thanks Melanie,

I'll call tomorrow probably after I have a meeting with my boss about LA. I only got the letter yesterday afternoon and didn't want to call on a weekend.

Soulgrowth

Post by Soulgrowth » Sun Sep 14, 2008 1:02 pm
Hi tea77

I just wanted to say that I am a great believer in these kind of things happening for a reason ... so maybe you were meant to take that job in LA afterall ... what an opportunity! I wonder whether your girlfriend was really just looking for reasons to justify her decision ... afterall relationships are for ... a reason, a season, or a lifetime [:)]

Good to see that Melanie is on the case with the IVA related query. In the meantime they do say that that the best way of revenge (although not for one moment am I suggesting you may be looking for revenge)is success ... so go for it.

Debbie
Debbie

tea77

Post by tea77 » Sun Sep 14, 2008 1:31 pm
Thanks everyone,

am starting to feel better that am doing the house work.

and looking for my copy of Coelho's The Alchemist to read it again.

and after watching the news they are a lot of people out their that are having bigger issues than me at the mo.

Steve

Adam Davies

Post by Adam Davies » Sun Sep 14, 2008 1:58 pm
Hi Steve
Not many IVAs run smoothly.Melanie will sort this out for you and I believe that you should grab the LA posting with both hands
Regards
Andam Davies

MelanieGiles

Industry Expert
Post by MelanieGiles » Sun Sep 14, 2008 2:23 pm
I'm starting to feel quite jealous. Sunshine all year round, fantastic beaches just minutes drive away, shopping on Rodeo drive! I'm definately in the wrong job - shame the insolvency system is very different in the US, or I'd be applying for a job there too!

cul8tr

Post by cul8tr » Sun Sep 14, 2008 9:00 pm
Hey Melanie - how about a 'FF' meeting in LA - you would have at least two definite attendees (lol).

Definately sunshine all year round, in fact I am getting quite exicited with the 20% prospect of rain in the next two weeks. Unlike the UK, you can sit on the beach without been hemmed in and observe the weird and wonderful world go by.

Rodeo drive - well even if I wasnt in an IVA, I still couldnt afford to/skinny enough to shop there.

As for Steve, have a great time in LA, I have mixed feelings about the place, but if you want any advice or guidance, please get in touch with me direct - I am only too happy to share my experience of life in LA and what to expect.

Soulgrowth

Post by Soulgrowth » Sun Sep 14, 2008 9:07 pm
Steve ... great to see you taking steps forward already, there are some advantages to not being in a relationship ... like you can completely do your own thing!!

Cul8tr ... what a brilliant idea about the FF meeting in LA [8D]

Debbie
Debbie

james.c

Post by james.c » Sun Sep 14, 2008 9:41 pm
Hello tea77

My greatest sorrow for your situation.

Cut along story short, just under 4 years my ex wife decided to leave and took my money and left me in debt, in all fairness not all her fault, 2 years ago i entered in to an IVA then 2 months later i met my current partner and getting married at the end of year and we already have twin daughters who are 7 months old. So in just 4 years my life as turned around and for the better, and i know its hard to belive and every one will tell you you will come out of this on top, like every one says it does get better.

With regards to your iva, i have learnt from my own exoerience its never as bad as it seams, i met meliane at a frugual friends meeting (go to one if you can) and she put my mind at rest with questions that were always on my mind.

Also for what its worth i told my partner about my iva, jsut does not want anything to do with it but as offered my money to offer and full and final settlemet so we can get on with our lifes, but from day one she accepted me for who i am and not the money i have or in my case the money i didnt have.

I wish you all the best and if you want any advice/opionion i am always happy to help

MelanieGiles

Industry Expert
Post by MelanieGiles » Sun Sep 14, 2008 9:45 pm
FF meeting in LA! I like that idea, and Vincent Bond can also sponsor that one!

Seriously, you guys ought to meet up - as I know both of you and a friendly face in a new city and all that!!!
13 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”