I'm starting kniting again!

24 posts Page 1 of 2

Julie

Post by Julie » Mon Aug 18, 2008 11:52 am
Hi all,

I'm going to start knitting again - I saw a lovely cardigan in Karen Millen, but it was £70!!!!! I cannot justify spending that so I'm picking up my needles again.

When my girls were very young, I use to knit all their cardis etc, especially the aran style. So I hope to find the time and start again.

Anyone know of good websites where I can get designer patterns or does anyone else knit?

Viki.W

Post by Viki.W » Mon Aug 18, 2008 11:56 am
Ah Julie, that's a great idea. When I was little, my mum owned a wool shop and would knit all our jumpers and cardis. I still sleep with one of the cardis, I call it my comfort cardi![:I] I haven't got a clue though sorry! Good luck. X
If you would like to talk to me about your debt problems, please visit:
http://www.vincentbond.com/about_us_Viki_Warbrooke.asp

MelanieGiles

Industry Expert
Post by MelanieGiles » Mon Aug 18, 2008 12:22 pm
I am a big knitter (when I have time!) and if you use the Rohan or Jaeger websites you are bound to find plenty of choice. yesterknits.com also have a great selection of vintage patterns which I have often used.
Regards, Melanie Giles, Insolvency Practitioner

Skippy

Post by Skippy » Mon Aug 18, 2008 12:25 pm
I'm impressed Julie - I can't knit to save my life! My nan did teach me, but I just wasn't very good. I tried knitting a scarf when i was younger but it got wider and wider as it got longer as somehow I managed to add more stitches! I also knitted a toy monkey once, and my mum actually cried with laughter when she saw it - it was more like something out of the X Files than a monkey!

Julie

Post by Julie » Mon Aug 18, 2008 12:43 pm
Thanks Melanie, I'll check the sites out.

Skip - I'm not saying I'll be any good now, but this cardigan as lovely as it was, was so simple its spurred me on. I hope I don't have a Skippy Monkey" moment lol.

Skippy

Post by Skippy » Mon Aug 18, 2008 12:49 pm
You'll be fine Julie!

My mother still has the monkey! It's a very fetching shade of blue with a pink face...

stressed_suzanne

Post by stressed_suzanne » Mon Aug 18, 2008 2:28 pm
I've decided to get back into knitting as well :) I thought I'd start with the scarves that knit up really quickly - make perfect Christmas pressies for a couple of the nieces :)
Suzanne

Julie

Post by Julie » Mon Aug 18, 2008 3:35 pm
Thats a good idea Suzanne - my mum knits for Wales so we also have loads if nice knitwear. You can't have too many scarves though and they are back in fashion......I think [:D]

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Mon Aug 18, 2008 4:43 pm
I used to do loads of knitting years ago, the more complicated it was, the better I liked it. Used to love doing Aran.

Mom always had to sew them up though, as I was useless.

I have thought about doing something several times, but not got round to it.

Trouble is, I'd not be able to post! Can multi task with tv and knitting, and tv and computer, but not knitting and computer!
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.
http://kallis3.blogs.iva.co.uk

Julie

Post by Julie » Mon Aug 18, 2008 4:48 pm
[:D]Jan -I'll be knitting in the evenings if I get around to it. I don't log onto the computer in the evenings if I can help it, as I'll end up doing work. I put enough hours in as it is [:)]

stressed_suzanne

Post by stressed_suzanne » Mon Aug 18, 2008 4:57 pm
I'm the same Jan, not keen on the sewing up!

Scarves are def in Julie - well they will be this Christmas in my family regardless of what the rest of fashion is doing!
Suzanne

Viki.W

Post by Viki.W » Mon Aug 18, 2008 5:05 pm
Kallis, what are you like?![:o)] X

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Mon Aug 18, 2008 5:11 pm
Couldn't not post Viki! I'd miss all me mates and be suffering withdrawal symptoms!
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.
http://kallis3.blogs.iva.co.uk

Viki.W

Post by Viki.W » Mon Aug 18, 2008 5:15 pm
Yeah Kallis, ditto.[:)] X

chris.g

Post by chris.g » Mon Aug 18, 2008 5:43 pm
I always used to knit but then got Carpel Tunnel in both wrists so found it too uncomfortable. When the kids were small(2 eldest) I used to knit for a company called Body Map and there were shops that would take orders for hand knit garments who I used to do work for.
I loved doing Aran, Fairisle patterns and all these cartoon character jumpers. I think the most intricate thing I ever knit was a christening shawl done in 1-ply, the yarn was called cobweb and was direct from the Shetland Isles. Took me ages but it was beautiful when it was finished, it was for my ex's sister so don't even know if they still have it......
It's nice to be back......
24 posts Page 1 of 2
Return to “money saving tips”