I would like to rent a TV as I don't have enough money saved to buy one.

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
24 posts Page 1 of 2

Alice.91

Post by Alice.91 » Wed May 22, 2013 11:46 am
I would like to rent a TV as I don't have enough money saved to buy one. I don't want to go through the trouble and embarrassment of trying though, if due to being in an IVA I'm standing in the shop being told I've been turned down :-( Does this sort of rental agreement count as credit??? (I pay my car insurance every month with a finance agreement and it's been fine...is this the same sort of thing of agreement?!)

debt tired

Post by debt tired » Wed May 22, 2013 12:56 pm
What's wrong with buying a small second hand CRT one from the newspaper or charity shop? Our family just had to get used to using our portable TV when our main one broke. People struggle to GIVE away CRT TVs nowadays.

Tina Shortland

Post by Tina Shortland » Wed May 22, 2013 1:32 pm
Hi Alice welcome to the forum.

Yes renting a TV is taking out credit and you would need to run this past your IP first. This would also affect your income and expenditure so you would need to get approval for it and ensure you can maintain your IVA payments.

Have you looked on freecycle - sometimes there are TVs available you just need to pick them up? Also local ads in shop windows etc have TVs - as others are busy upgrading their to the latest the ones they are letting go are usually perfectly fine!

Would your IP let you have mone month payment break to buy one - the supermarkets have some great offers on new TVs as well. Hope you get something sorted - let us know how you get on.
Regards, Tina Shortland, Debt Advisory Manager for Melanie Giles at Debt Advice TV.

If you’re looking for effective debt related information, articles and news, then go now to our on-line advice service at www.debtadvicetv.com

If you’re ready to ask us for specific advice or help, then get in touch at www.call-me.debtadvicetv.com so you can start to free yourself from the stress and anxiety of overwhelming debt.

MelanieGiles

Industry Expert
Post by MelanieGiles » Wed May 22, 2013 11:55 pm
Renting is not taking out credit, because you are not purchasing anything - however it would affect your monthly disposable income. I also do not think it is a good idea to ask your IP to short pay a contribution for the sake of purchasing a non-essential item - would you be comfortable asking your mortgage company or landlord or the council tax department the same question?
Regards, Melanie Giles, Insolvency Practitioner

Shining

Post by Shining » Thu May 23, 2013 9:20 am
On the FB buy it sell it sites (if you're a member) they often have TV's to give away in full working order because someone has upgraded theirs to a flat screen.
IVA final payment left the bank on the 26th January 2013...looking forward to a debt free future.

bigtrouble

Post by bigtrouble » Thu May 23, 2013 9:45 am
Or Freecycle, Preloved are also good sites for free/cheap secondhand goods

lem

Post by lem » Thu May 23, 2013 11:17 am
I was looking on ebay yesterday at local stuff for sale and a large 32 inch tv went for 99p, so bargains can be had with tvs it's cheaper than renting just to buy one for a few quid x

luluj

Forum Expert

Post by luluj » Thu May 23, 2013 7:03 pm
Little surprised that Mel says a TV is not an essential item when in an IVA. As I&E's provide little for social events and going out, I would have thought purchasing a bog standard television to replace a broken one would be allowed via a break of payments - I am not an expert so won't argue with Mel, but really thought this was a little harsh.
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt

There is a solution for everyone .... Just need to stay positive !

Look at my blog "All I wanted was a baby"

MelanieGiles

Industry Expert
Post by MelanieGiles » Thu May 23, 2013 11:11 pm
In the context of my post, assuming there were no IVA but no disposable income Luluj, would you ask for a break in payments from your mortgage company, or utility company to fund the cost of a new TV? How do you think this request would be met, and if not then why do the IVA creditors need to be the tultimate funders? In contrast, were the poster subject to an IPA or an IPO, a Trustee in bankruptcy would be unlikely to grant such a request, so why an IVA Supervisor.

In reality, as is demonstrated by the other posts on this thread, there are many sensible options in which to obtain a replacement. So whilst my comments may appear at first glance harsh, they do perhaps serve to demonstrate that IPs do often have to make unpopular decisions in carrying out our duties.

It may also be borne in mind that an IVA will not usually fail until three payments have been missed, so nothing to stop the poster missing two payments and not being penalised - but don't ask permission for this as it probably won't be granted.

Shining

Post by Shining » Fri May 24, 2013 9:16 am
I think with the availability of free TV's in good working order the OP should be able to find something, it may not be the best looking but it'll be a working TV that they can enjoy.
IVA final payment left the bank on the 26th January 2013...looking forward to a debt free future.

Loads a Debt

Post by Loads a Debt » Fri May 24, 2013 2:07 pm
Hi Mel,

You suggest missing 2 months payments and not asking for permission as it may not be granted.

If you pay back those 2 missed months, say by the next review, does it then revert back to 3 missed payments before you fail, or will you fail with only another missed payment?
I can now do without.....

MelanieGiles

Industry Expert
Post by MelanieGiles » Fri May 24, 2013 10:23 pm
If the payments are paid back, then it will take three more missed ones to create a default.

plasticdaft

Forum Expert

Post by plasticdaft » Sat May 25, 2013 12:14 am
I'd go for the freeby old style needs a forklift truck to move type of bargain. People cant even give old crt sets away!!!

Paul
Discharged today the 8th feb 2012. View is much brighter now.
Continuing to rebuild our credit worthiness.

slushysnow

Post by slushysnow » Sat May 25, 2013 2:09 am
Tell them u have a pet dog or cat. People get lots of money allowed for them. There is no difference

back on track

Post by back on track » Sat May 25, 2013 9:46 am
when you cant afford to go out anywhere then a tv is essential.my case worker said same when I thought my tv was about to expire.(it didn't).does not cost much in the grand scheme of things if you go to local asda,or ebay.you can then catch up with payments over time.thats the info I got from payplan.
cc received 6th January 2014 now upwards and onwards
24 posts Page 1 of 2
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”