i need to open a basic bank account

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
51 posts Page 1 of 4

Christian.9

Post by Christian.9 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:51 am
i need to open a basic bank account, but have no id they all seem to require. barclays might be ok, but i am in debt on a barclaycard.. does this mean i could have money taken out of a basic account if i open one?

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:57 am
Hi and welcome,

The Co-op come highly recommended by posters on here, as do Natwest.

Are you looking into doing an IVA?
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.
http://kallis3.blogs.iva.co.uk

Tina Shortland

Post by Tina Shortland » Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:40 pm
Hi Christian.9 yes it does - you need to avoid any bank that is associated with your debts. Ask the bank if they will accept a photo that has been witnessed by the usual signatories that would be suggested for a new passport photo. That might be acceptable.

Regards,
Regards, Tina Shortland, Debt Advisory Manager for Melanie Giles at Debt Advice TV.

If you’re looking for effective debt related information, articles and news, then go now to our on-line advice service at www.debtadvicetv.com

If you’re ready to ask us for specific advice or help, then get in touch at www.call-me.debtadvicetv.com so you can start to free yourself from the stress and anxiety of overwhelming debt.

leaKybrain

Post by leaKybrain » Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:55 pm
we opened a brand new account with natwest. Cheque book (even though being phased out next year), debit card (but not cheque guarantee) and no overdraft. Also opened single accounts for each of us and a joint savings. All done the same day in branch.

later that same day I rang the IVA company to start proceedings.

Natwest are very friendly and helpful. I haven't told them Iam in an IVA but I think they will know now. tina am I right in thinking its part of your process to contact the banks after proposal accepted? probably totally wrong there LOL

Shining

Post by Shining » Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:02 pm
I'm with Natwest too and this was opened online so I'm assuming they checked the Electoral roll? Don't think your IP tells your bank but may be corrected on this but any credit check would show up your IVA.

I rate the Natwest highly so if they aren't one of your creditors why not give them a try. x
IVA final payment left the bank on the 26th January 2013...looking forward to a debt free future.

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:48 pm
According to what I have read recently, cheques aren't due to be phased out until 2018, so a few years yet!

We have a joint account, have always had one so that way we can keep tabs on the money coming in and going out.

Your mortgage company will be contacted after IVA approval, but I don't think the banks are.
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.
http://kallis3.blogs.iva.co.uk

Tina Shortland

Post by Tina Shortland » Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:54 pm
Hi Karin - I have checked with the office and they would only notify the bank if it was one of the creditors so a new bank would not be notified.

Regards,
Regards, Tina Shortland, Debt Advisory Manager for Melanie Giles at Debt Advice TV.

If you’re looking for effective debt related information, articles and news, then go now to our on-line advice service at www.debtadvicetv.com

If you’re ready to ask us for specific advice or help, then get in touch at www.call-me.debtadvicetv.com so you can start to free yourself from the stress and anxiety of overwhelming debt.

Tina Shortland

Post by Tina Shortland » Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:22 pm
To add, if the new bank account was the same as your mortgage lender though, they would be as all secured creditors are notified....

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:32 pm
I opened a co-op account online, was okayed there and then -- no id provided -- they just checked I was on the electoral list. Just before IVA I panicked and applied for an account with Natwest, while waiting for the result of that I phoned co-op. Hence now, I have two accounts. So I use the one for DD's satanding orders etc, and the other to decant the surplus into for things like car tax and insurance (so the monthly allowances aren't swallowed up anywhere) and I am, hopefully, opening a Natwest e-saver to pop the contingency fund and any savings I can scrape off housekeeping etc into.

Never been so organised in my life :-)
My opinions are merely that .. opinions based on experience. Always seek professional advice.
IVA Completed 23rd July 2013 .... C.C. 10th January 2014

Broke of London

Post by Broke of London » Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:19 pm
Hi - tina's suggestion about a signed photo is a good one. What docs are you missing? We can put our heads together and see what we come up with. I had a problem recently - because all my utilities and council tax are included in my rent and bank statements are online I didn't have anything for proof of address! Tenancy agreements don't count apparently - madness.

leaKybrain

Post by leaKybrain » Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:10 pm
Now I've learned something today. Thanks for that Tina. I thought the banks were told, thats fine. I guess i should have clicked cos of all the talk about HSBC before. Dopy me!!!

LOL Foggy, it feels good to be organised doesn't it. Good for you

little-roly

Post by little-roly » Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:35 pm
My husband and I entered an IVA in October last year. Before we were accepted we open an account with First direct in anticipation of the IVA going ahead. At the beginning of last month the bank contacted me to say they had been informed of the IVA and were cancelling our account. We have been given 60 days to find a new account. We have approached Natwest for a basic account but it has taken 2 weeks so far and have said they are struggling to get it open because of the IVA. Where do I go now???

St75

Post by St75 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:45 pm
So long as Co-op aren't one of your creditors you could try them. I did it all over the phone in one day.
regards
st75

Started lump sum IVA in Aug 2010 - received certificate of completion April 2011, thanks to Melanie & team

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:46 pm
Try the Co-Op, but remember to ask for a Cashminder, which is a basic account. You have to apply over the phone but should get an answer in principle right away.
My opinions are merely that .. opinions based on experience. Always seek professional advice.
IVA Completed 23rd July 2013 .... C.C. 10th January 2014

Broke of London

Post by Broke of London » Fri Feb 04, 2011 6:26 pm
First Direct and HSBC are notorious for this. Co-op sounds like a good bet as are some of the building societies. Though don't give up on NatWest as they have plenty of customers in an IVA. Asking for a basic account will help you get accepted too. If all else fails, you are guaranteed to get a paid-for account which can be included in your expenditure. Good luck x
51 posts Page 1 of 4
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”