Help! Husbands Credit rating affected?

22 posts Page 1 of 2

bev.nn

Post by bev.nn » Mon Mar 17, 2008 4:01 pm
I've had an IVA in place for almost a year now - solely in my name as all debts were mine! My husbands very good in managing money - eg. has a large overdraft he never uses, an empty credit card which, on the odd oocassion he does need to use it, is repaid in full the following month etc etc!! However, we've hit on a problem in that we both share the same initial and first name - ie we are both B NELSON residing at same address. Recently my husband tried to obtain finance for a car loan and was repeatedly rejected and told to check his credit report (which we haven't done yet). Members of my family seem to think its because of our names being the same at same address? Anybody had a similar problem and does this mean that he will never be able to borrow as long as I am in IVA?

debbiw

Post by debbiw » Mon Mar 17, 2008 4:11 pm
Hi Bev, Yes my husband had the same problem, as he had the same initial as his mum, at the same address. She owed some very old council tax, and the council was trying to take it from my husband (this is along time ago). Just write to Experian and explain and they will sort this out x

Adam Davies

Post by Adam Davies » Mon Mar 17, 2008 4:19 pm
Hi
Ask your husband to write to all three credit reference agencies asking for a notice of disassociation from you to be noted on his file
Regards
Andam Davies

bev.nn

Post by bev.nn » Tue Mar 18, 2008 9:24 am
Ok Many Thanks - the 3 credit reference agencies being experion,?? and am not sure who else.

bev.nn

Post by bev.nn » Tue Mar 18, 2008 9:27 am
andydavie wrote:

Hi
Ask your husband to wrie to all three credit reference agencies asking for a notice of disassociation from you to be noted on his file
Regards

Adam Davies

Post by Adam Davies » Tue Mar 18, 2008 11:29 am
Hi
The three are Experian,Equifax and Call Credit
Regards
Andam Davies

bev.nn

Post by bev.nn » Tue Mar 18, 2008 2:21 pm
Excellent - many thanks, will let you know how we get on!

debbiw

Post by debbiw » Tue Mar 18, 2008 2:28 pm
Hi Bev, I'm in an IVA and my husband has no debt. He has wrote to the above too asking to be disassociated from my debts, so his credit report is not affected.

bev.nn

Post by bev.nn » Tue Mar 18, 2008 3:09 pm
Thanks Debi - yes Im going to do this.
Hey- I read your blog and can't believe how similar our stories are!!Like you, I've always used credit cards, always felt comfortable about coping with monthly payments - then got loans out to clear credit cards - but of course used them again and it just spiralled out of control.Felt so sorry for my husband too- he's very good with money and i was almost on the verge of a breakdown by the time I confessed!! My family - albeit they have been very supportive, just couldnt believe the mess I'd got us into. However, not wanting to bore you with the details, safe to say I was very lucky in getting my IVA - am almost a year on and actually its flew over. I couldnt fault my IP Supervisor either - any hiccups Ive had he's always there to keep me on track. Good luck with everything and I'll keep you posted as to the outcome.

bev.nn

Post by bev.nn » Tue Mar 18, 2008 3:26 pm
Andie - thanks again, I have the addresses now . sorry to be really 'thick' but would it be possible for you to give me a brief outline of what my hubby should be saying in the letters? Will he need to give details of his credit card (altho balance 0)and bank account etc?

debbiw

Post by debbiw » Tue Mar 18, 2008 3:27 pm
I know bev, its so easy to get into the habit of spending on credit cards, and not realising the full extent of what we are doing. My husband has been brilliant, bless him. I have totally learnt my lesson now though, and would never ever do it again. x

Adam Davies

Post by Adam Davies » Tue Mar 18, 2008 3:49 pm
Hi
No,all he has to do is request that a notice of disassociation from you is placed on his credit file as your financial affairs are seperate.
Regards
Andam Davies

bev.nn

Post by bev.nn » Wed Mar 19, 2008 9:10 am
Many Thanks - we've fired off the letters!

bev.nn

Post by bev.nn » Thu Apr 03, 2008 8:31 pm
Hi - re. the above - we sent the letters off and wrote exactly what you advised Andie. My husbands had the 1st of his replies back fromEquifax saying that he cannott be ''dis-associated'' from my debts as we have a joint mortgage??!! This seems so unfair as its unsecured debts we're talking about. What do we do now??

Adam Davies

Post by Adam Davies » Thu Apr 03, 2008 9:53 pm
Hi
Ask them to disassociate him from any of your sole debts
Regards
Andam Davies
22 posts Page 1 of 2
Return to “postings for april”