Freecycle

73 posts Page 5 of 5

Shining

Post by Shining » Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:33 pm
I'm liking the sound of this and may join AR how do I join, I live in the same area as yourself?
IVA final payment left the bank on the 26th January 2013...looking forward to a debt free future.

angelrainbow

Post by angelrainbow » Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:13 am
Hi Lesley, I don't know if I am allowed to put a link in...but if you simply google Freecycle and the area you live in you will find the site. It is a Yahoo group, so if you don't already have a Yahoo account you will need one, but it doesn't take long to sign up.

I am a member of the following freecycles:

South Holland
South Kesteven
Boston & Skegness

I have got some wonderful items from there, clothes for the girls, two wardrobes and now the treadmill. I never cease to be amazed by what people give away.

The only rule is you can't sell it on eBay to make a profit - it goes against the whole ethos, but the things I have got are things I needed or wanted and wouldn't dream of selling them on.
Completion Certificate received September 2012.

Shining

Post by Shining » Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:38 pm
I've joined the group for South Holland now and made myself a login for yahoo, just waiting for the Aministrator to approve me! then I'll be searching for some freebies, my hubby is already saying 'is there any fishing stuff'? bless him he's got a one-tracked mind!
IVA final payment left the bank on the 26th January 2013...looking forward to a debt free future.

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Tue Aug 04, 2009 6:04 pm
And I wonder just how much of the stuff does end up on Ebay?

There's no way of checking, especially with clothes and as there are a lot of unscrupulous people out there, a lot will get the stuff just to sell on again.
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.
http://kallis3.blogs.iva.co.uk

angelrainbow

Post by angelrainbow » Wed Aug 05, 2009 7:06 am
I have seen fishing equipment come up in the past, Lesley. Fingers crossed for your hubby!

Jan, the moderators are I believe volunteers,like you and Skippy, but I know they have uncovered people selling on and locked them out of the site. I'm sure some items slip through the net though.
It really would be very low to collect something just to sell on, It saddens me to think there are people like that out there. Ah well.

Skippy

Post by Skippy » Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:40 am
But how would they know? Do you have to give your Ebay details when you register? Even if you do it's easy enough to change your Ebay name or sell it on someone else's account. That must be a horrible job trying to moderate that!

Also, what happens if you get something from Freecycle and it genuinely isn't suitable - do you have to offer it back on there? Personally I wouldn't see a problem will selling it in those circumstances.

angelrainbow

Post by angelrainbow » Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:45 am
Skippy, I don't know how they do it - I just know I have had a number of emails telling me not to deal with user X as they are selling on.

I imagine some people do check on eBay to see if their items turn up on there and as some ads are for valuable items with pictures the moderators could check the location and picture to see if they turn up on eBay.

If you don't want the item or it isn't suitable you should offer it on to someone who would. Or, when you collect the item, simply say "that wasn't what I was looking for, sorry" so the owner can offer it again. No money changes hands and it is the collector who has to pick the item up (they aren't delivered) so there is little inconvenience to the owner if it isn't what they had in mind.

The items are described well and often have pictures so you would have a good idea about what you were going to get and you could always speak to the person offering the item up to get more information.

Skippy

Post by Skippy » Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:15 am
Rather them than me trying to moderate that!

Personally if I've got anything of value it goes on Ebay - if I can make some money I will rather than give it away!

johnnybriggs

Post by johnnybriggs » Wed Aug 05, 2009 1:13 pm
I just sold a drop leaf table on ebay for a pound which I couldn't give away on freecycle.
JB

angelrainbow

Post by angelrainbow » Wed Aug 05, 2009 2:14 pm
They do a good job - as all moderators do, it can't be easy.

My rule is

eBay twice, if it still doesn't sell then car boot and if still no joy
then Freecycle. I have to admit I mostly collect things, I have only offered up 2 items [:I]

Skippy

Post by Skippy » Wed Aug 05, 2009 2:21 pm
Being lazy mine is Ebay twice then charity shop!

I've got some bits to put on Ebay but it's finding the enthusiasm to do it!

Shining

Post by Shining » Thu Aug 06, 2009 2:45 am
Well all I can say the moderators must be really busy as my membership is still pending authorisation from the moderator??

angelrainbow

Post by angelrainbow » Thu Aug 06, 2009 8:36 am
Lesley, it can take a while - I had to wait with all of my Freecycle memberships. Drop them a line later to chase it up.
73 posts Page 5 of 5
Return to “money saving tips”