Expenditure - Food and Petrol

9 posts Page 1 of 1

Sully

Post by Sully » Thu Jul 19, 2007 3:27 pm
Our food budget is our biggest concern and I am now slightly worried about the responses for this one as I have just seen this connected to a response from one of my other posts. Our Food Budget – or should I say Food, plus Household Products (bleach, washing up power, bubble bath, toilet roll etc), plus Toiletries and not forgetting Cat Food which is of course a subject in it’s own right and not to mention the things like birthday cards (I am from a family of 8!) and other stuff you take for granted. I know it depends on your individual circumstances, but I wanted people’s opinions of what would be acceptable for x2 adults and x3 cats (with special dietary requirements!). The current budget is £320.00 which I note that one of the experts has said that £300.00 should be sufficient for x2 adults - but we are struggling. Perhaps if all our other 'requests' were accepted then we wouldn't struggle so much. I try to buy the cheapest of foods and products but we always run out and are starving by pay day!

Petrol
Well after reading my other comments, you might wonder how over £250.00’s worth of things are supposed to come out of a £50.00 miscellaneous budget – well the answer is the Petrol budget – yes our IP increased our Petrol budget to make up for some of these costs. The problem is, our petrol bill doubled due to my partner’s job and will increase again dramatically early next year when my place of work moves 50 miles – so how can we ask for this to be increased when it will in fact be accurate! We did make this very clear at the time of putting the proposal together and was told not to worry!
Thanks, and you will be pleased to know that's my last main query!
Thanks, Sully

zoe

Post by zoe » Thu Jul 19, 2007 5:09 pm
Sully
Does your partner not get Mileage allowance?
Z
x

Zoe
x
Keep your chin up - everything happens for a reason!
View my blog http://zoes.blogs.iva.co.uk/

Sully

Post by Sully » Thu Jul 19, 2007 5:41 pm
Hi Zoe

No, he doesn't get mileage allowance.
Thanks, Sully

MelanieGiles

Industry Expert
Post by MelanieGiles » Thu Jul 19, 2007 6:17 pm
As I have said before - your budget should be based upon what you spend. If you spend £320 per month on food and £250 per month on petrol so be it. I am slightly concerned that you appear to be saying that your IP falsely inflated certain figures to hide areas of other expenditure? It is exactly this sort of behavior which gives my profession a bad name and ought to be stopped.

Regards, Melanie Giles, Insolvency Practitioner for over 20 years.

For further details contact me at http://www.melaniegiles.com and view my IVA blog at: http://melaniegiles.blogs.iva.co.uk
Regards, Melanie Giles, Insolvency Practitioner

charlottie

Post by charlottie » Thu Jul 19, 2007 7:00 pm
Hi
Me & my hubby have been allowed £260 for food and £180 for fuel and bearing in mind we have 5 children between us who are grown up now and don't live with us it's still a struggle because we still want them round for meals and there are still presents to buy at birthdays and christmas. I also have a grandson - none of this is taken into consideration, my daughter lives 150 miles away and I have to limit visits every other month. It's very hard but the creditors are after their money. They allow you enough (bearly) to live on and you have to make adjustments. Making food from scratch with fresh veg etc, cutting down on meat & no fast foods or take aways.
I'm not criticising you at all, I found the adjustment very hard and I'm still struggling but our IP won't budge on an increase, he's asked us to keep supermarket receipts and fuel receipts for the next 12 months so he can review.

Lotte
Lotte

aguise

Post by aguise » Thu Jul 19, 2007 7:20 pm
Hi all
So many of these problems are being caused by inadequate expenditure being allowed. Reading some of the posts some get double the amount of others, I understand everyones needs are different but maybe the introduction of an acceptable basic expenditure per person, determined maybe by age of the person at the end of the iva, ( meaning a seven year old eats a lot less than a twelve year old) for an example food and household per person, and then being able to negotiate extra needs like dietary requirements for certain illnesses etc on top of the basic. That would seem much fairer and may stop a lot of the problems that arise in this area. I know this could not be ddone for all like petrol as this will definately vary between individuals, but as said the food could at least be done this way.

Just thinking about this as it keeps popping its head up all the time and causing so may problems for some especially with growing families.

Ang
Please visit my blog at http://aguise.blogs.iva.co.uk/

BlueShoes

Post by BlueShoes » Thu Jul 19, 2007 7:50 pm
Hi Ang
You obviously haven't seen what my seven year old can put away!
Only kidding!
I agree about there being some guidelines regarding common expenditure like food & house-keeping, TV, internet, mobiles etc things which are common to all of us. As you say there will be some areas which differ hugely (our fuel & travel costs are £400 per month for instance; our childcare over £600)
I think part of the stress when waiting for the creditors' meeting is linked to not knowing whether the proposed "reasonable" living costs are going to be acceptable. We have an experienced IP who has been able to guide us to a certain extent, but ultimately the decisions are going to be made by creditors on the day.
Blue

MelanieGiles

Industry Expert
Post by MelanieGiles » Thu Jul 19, 2007 7:54 pm
If you have selected a good IP to represent you, they will have guided you with regard to reasonable expenditure which is generally allowable and that which is not. Despite my intense dislike of benchmarks, because I have seen may a propsal fail as a result of unfair allowances, there is no point in putting forward something which is bound to fail.

Regards, Melanie Giles, Insolvency Practitioner for over 20 years.

For further details contact me at http://www.melaniegiles.com and view my IVA blog at: http://melaniegiles.blogs.iva.co.uk
Regards, Melanie Giles, Insolvency Practitioner

aguise

Post by aguise » Thu Jul 19, 2007 8:00 pm
Hi blueshoes .
That would be the point of a set amount, the creditors could then only negotiate on the extras, but couldnt reduce people on the basic. I still shop around for everything, changed my digital again yesterday to save a bit, set the hotwater to come on that bit less to save a little, we have just decided to have our birthday pressies as vouchers from argos from everybody that way we can save for the washing machine or freezer that might go or even use them to get pressies back for others at christmas. It makes it easier for them as well as they never know what to get us.

Ang
Please visit my blog at http://aguise.blogs.iva.co.uk/
9 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “IVA postbag for july”