don't really want to postpone the wedding

2 posts Page 1 of 1

braitt

Post by braitt » Tue Jan 16, 2007 4:56 pm
my partner owes a sum of money to the Inland Revenue. He is disputing the amount owed, but in the meantime, they have frozen his bank account until they have agreed a final amount and been repaid. So we are surviving on my income and relying on my bank account at the moment.

We are due to get married in a week and I am worrying that once we are married we will be jointly liable and my account will also be frozen - thus meaning neither of us has any source of income. All mortgage, credit etc is in my name and we do not have a shared bank account. I'd be grateful for your views - don't really want to postpone the wedding, but equally, don't want to be saddled with his debt! Many thanks

MelanieGiles

Industry Expert
Post by MelanieGiles » Tue Jan 16, 2007 5:05 pm
Hi Braitt - and welcome to the site.

I don't understand how the Inland Revenue can have frozen your husband's bank account. Do they have an injunction in place? Please provide more information on this.

You cannot be held to be liabile for your future husband's debt - even when you are married, but obviously it is sensible to establish exactly how much is owing as soon as possible. Does he have an accountant who is working on this for him?

Good luck with the wedding, and definately don't postpone - that will leave you in more debt!

Regards, Melanie Giles, Insolvency Practitioner for over 20 years.
View my IVA blog at: http://melaniegiles.blogs.iva.co.uk
Regards, Melanie Giles, Insolvency Practitioner
2 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “IVA postbag for january”