cheap and cheerful meals

31 posts Page 2 of 3

Martin2011

Post by Martin2011 » Sun May 18, 2008 11:39 am
I think Mrs Torch's recipe sounds great.....wondering now how she'd approach preparation of a chicken pie though.....

Ricey mince is a fave here.... have to use decent mince, but just mix with rice, tin of toms and add just about any seasoning and flavour to hand for a relatively cheap and very filling meal.... grated cheese on the top (obviously only during the first two weeks of the month) is an added bonus....

Martin

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Sun May 18, 2008 11:44 am
That sounds good Martin. Will have to get hubbie to it after payday!

Hubbie also makes a mean stew (wrong time of the year at the moment but who cares!). He makes a huge amount and it feeds us for ages (plus a portion or two for my aged parents!)
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.
http://kallis3.blogs.iva.co.uk

Martin2011

Post by Martin2011 » Sun May 18, 2008 11:54 am
Do like a good stew, but agree, at this time of year it doesn't have quite the same appeal....

Whilst the suns shining, salads are easy and cheap if you stick with the basics, cheese, eggs, tinned pilchards (yummy!)... and of course a big hunk of decent bread helps a lot and doesn't cost too much either....

Mrs M would find my contributions to this debate quite amusing I think as she'd have little confidence I could even find our kitchen!!

Martin

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Sun May 18, 2008 12:00 pm
We have dug out our breadmaker (bought years ago). Asda are doing an offer on Hovis breadmix (white or granary) two for £1. It is lovely bread and so much cheaper than normal (I must confess that we have been buying farmhouse as I don't like prepacked sliced bread). It makes a really cheap tasty loaf.

Don't agree with pilchards though - all those bones! Tuna is good on a salad though.

My OH would be amused as well. He always likes to remind me of the time I made Eccles cakes and forgot to put the currants in!!!!!!!!
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.

Martin2011

Post by Martin2011 » Sun May 18, 2008 12:18 pm
Loving the thought of currentless eccles.... yummy....

Agree pilchards are an acquired taste, tuna is better for sure.... Good idea re breadmaker...sure we have one somewhere, will have to go hunt it down.....

Martin

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Sun May 18, 2008 12:26 pm
The air was blue and he hasn't touched them since!!!! I do make a mean Christmas cake and Christmas pudding though! Trouble is, as OH is at home all day I very rarely get the chance to do any cooking now so lord knows what anything would come out like!
Bob Marley.

Martin2011

Post by Martin2011 » Sun May 18, 2008 12:44 pm
That's the def advantage of a salad.... in the main, no cooking required!!

Still thinking that eccles without currants is not a bad idea though....could start the development of a whole new cake there....

and no worries, we're all round to yours at Christmas for a slice!!

Martin

angela18

Post by angela18 » Sun May 18, 2008 2:12 pm
we're having mince and dumplings for tea!! can't wait.. bit chilly in the north east today so.. salad not an issue[:)]

been to Lidl today to try.. not to impressed and didn't think was much cheaper than Asda.. don't think i'll bother again. Like Aldi though[:)]
Ang.. 13 payments in.. WOW, thats over 20% paid!! http://angela18.blogs.iva.co.uk/ well here we go

if you wish for a rainbow... then you have to put up with the rain xx

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Sun May 18, 2008 2:58 pm
Martin, my old man says Eccles cakes without currants do not work!!!
You are more than welcome for slice of Christmas cake!
Bob Marley.

chris.g

Post by chris.g » Sun May 18, 2008 3:03 pm
Chicken, chips, peas and gravy....that's what we are having....I can't cook with the operation on my hand so the hubby and No.1 son cooking.... another 5 weeks of this, then another 6 weeks when I get my other hand done....lol
xx
It's nice to be back......

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Sun May 18, 2008 3:20 pm
Chicken and chips sounds like heaven! Haven't had that for ages!
Bob Marley.

Skippy

Post by Skippy » Sun May 18, 2008 4:52 pm
We've got chops for dinner, from the last food parcel from my mum! I've no idea whether they are pork or lamb, so it'll be a nice surprise!

I love chilli and it's the one thing I can cook! I buy frozen vegetables now as once they're in with the mince you can't tell the difference. When I buy the mince Dave separates it into portions and we freeze it and get it out the night before we need it. I prefer doing it that way as I refuse to reheat anything!

angela18

Post by angela18 » Sun May 18, 2008 5:22 pm
I've just got some whoopsie cumberland sausages from Asda.. going to have bangers and mash tomorrow for tea!! love a whoopsie bargain!!
Ang.. 13 payments in.. WOW, thats over 20% paid!! http://angela18.blogs.iva.co.uk/ well here we go

if you wish for a rainbow... then you have to put up with the rain xx

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Sun May 18, 2008 5:30 pm
We love those bargains as well. We have managed to get some of their curry, not just one portion but the whole carton that they portion up on the deli counter - got it really cheap as well! Doesn't happen often but when it does we get as much as we can and portion it and freeze it at home - bargain!

As for spices, we go to a fairly local asian supermarket - much larger quantities and loads cheaper than the supermarkets!
Bob Marley.

Martin2011

Post by Martin2011 » Sun May 18, 2008 10:38 pm
Do like an ASDA curry, any curry in all honesty....but never heard of a whoopsie one, sounds hotter than a vindaloo!!!

No worries, might take you up on that slice of cake Kallis, I'll provide the crackers....

Martin
31 posts Page 2 of 3
Return to “money saving tips”