Can i cancel an iva once it's set up?

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
8 posts Page 1 of 1

iri

Post by iri » Sun Jan 25, 2009 8:22 pm
Can i cancel an iva once it's set up?

flumpy dog

Post by flumpy dog » Sun Jan 25, 2009 8:49 pm
hi iri and welcome
if your iva is in place it is extremely hard to get out of. the only way is to miss 3 payments and then your iva would be in default and your ip could petition for bankruptcy for you.
are you able to say why you want out of the iva ? maybe we can help [:)]

johnt

Post by johnt » Sun Jan 25, 2009 9:36 pm
I find this a slightly odd post. It seams from the question that the gravity of living with an IVA has'nt been properly understood.

It is designed to help you become debt free, but only if you are willing to commit to the principle of it a hundred percent. If you don't do this it will fail.

There are many people wo come to this forum for comfort, advice and reasurance. I don't know your circumstances, but being approved for an IVA is a very real opportunity to completely adust your life so that you live properly within your means and not to whatever may appeal at a moments whim.

Please don't take my comments personally. But an IVA is a real life line to people in real hardship.

flumpy dog

Post by flumpy dog » Sun Jan 25, 2009 9:44 pm
we wont know for sure john til iri posts again.
i totally agree with your logic.
maybe they are frustrated with the ip and only speaking with the call centres we shall have to wait and see if they post again.

MelanieGiles

Industry Expert
Post by MelanieGiles » Sun Jan 25, 2009 10:17 pm
To answer the specific question - yes you can. Just stop paying the payments, but remember that your creditors will start harassing you again once the IVA is closed.
Regards, Melanie Giles, Insolvency Practitioner

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Sun Jan 25, 2009 11:10 pm
You can also finish it by paying off your creditors either in full or making a full and final offer.

Are you struggling with your payments? If so, perhaps a phone call to your IP might help?
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.
http://kallis3.blogs.iva.co.uk

Breakdown

Post by Breakdown » Mon Jan 26, 2009 8:30 am
Well said johnt.

Hopefully my iva will be up and running soon, and I totally look at it as a second chance and a lifeline.

I want to pay back what I owe, I did spend it, and as long as I am able to, i will pay into my iva.

Obviously no-one knows what the future holds, but for now, I feel grateful that Melanie and her team are working hard behind the scenes to sort out my self inflicted financial mess.
Life is a rollercoaster, we just have to ride it!

iva approved. 5 down 55 to go

Julie

Post by Julie » Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:52 pm
I agree an IVA is a lifeline if its set up properly. That can be a big IF and not necessarily the fault of those in debt.

If iri wants to cancel because he/she has changed their minds, then stopping payments will mean the IVA will fail. I agree with FD, if iri posts again and gives more details, we'll be able to help.
8 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”