Boiler Juice

109 posts Page 4 of 8

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:03 pm
I wouldn't bother with a solar panel, but I do have to confess to loving wind turbines!
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.
http://kallis3.blogs.iva.co.uk

Skippy

Post by Skippy » Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:06 pm
We drove through Cornwall a few years ago and they completely ruined the beautiful countryside.

They are also talking about putting them in Lyme Bay and I really hope they don't as they will completely ruin one of the most beautiful places in the country.

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:12 pm
I love the ones in Cornwall!

They have been talking about some not far from me (an old open cast mine) and I will be quite happy to see them there.
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.

angelrainbow

Post by angelrainbow » Wed Nov 04, 2009 6:48 am
The really big wind turbines are pretty scary looking...they are so huge. Got a wind farm in the next village down from me. You can see it for miles across the flat fen landscape. They aren't ugly, just imposing.
I wouldn't ever consider buying a boring old box on an estate or in a town. Quirky, character and Older Cottages and homes do tend to equal oil fired heating a lot of the time. Not always though.Some bigger villages have mains gas. If it is there the fine, if not and I loved the house then I wouldn't let having oil fired heating put me off. Our energy costs are much smaller than when we had mains gas and we are permanently in credit with it too. There is no risk of running out, we have a digital meter reading in the kitchen displaying the level in the tank and the oil is delivered very quickly after ordering.
Completion Certificate received September 2012.

Shining

Post by Shining » Wed Nov 04, 2009 7:10 am
I'm with AR we have lots of new estates as I'm sure others have and the only difference betweent he houses is the number on the door!

I like old houses, mine is cold but we've retained many of the features of it. Near us there are lots of wind turbines and sometimes a big ooh ahhh in the paper about them but it's what we get for living rural.

My husband install solar panels as part of his job and they're surprisingly become more popular due to the climate, they're roof based, if I could afford it I'd get him to do me some.
IVA final payment left the bank on the 26th January 2013...looking forward to a debt free future.

angelrainbow

Post by angelrainbow » Wed Nov 04, 2009 7:34 am
I get lost on estates!
I didn't know the papers were upset by the turbines Lesley. Mr AR loves them and really wants to go to an open day and have a nose around. We keep missing them though.

Shining

Post by Shining » Wed Nov 04, 2009 7:39 am
DSN Turbines are always being featured, one family I think is taking someone to High Court or something, never really read it fully to be honest but know they're a noise problem to some living nearby.
Last edited by Shining on Wed Nov 04, 2009 7:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
IVA final payment left the bank on the 26th January 2013...looking forward to a debt free future.

Skippy

Post by Skippy » Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:07 am
I wouldn't want to live on a new estate. We live in a maisonette but it's an old one, not one of the new boxes. We looked at the old and new ones, but they had no character although they were better designed. We looked at quite a few in the street and it's typical that we bought the only one that had the tiled fireplace taken out!

I love old cottages, although they'd have to be near a town - I can't think of anything worse than being stuck in the country!

When we went to Lyme Regis in September we stayed in a really lovely cottage which to me was ideal - it was really old but had all mod cons and was near the town and sea. If I'd have won the lottery I would have made an offer for it!

angelrainbow

Post by angelrainbow » Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:36 am
I'm nearish to the BF turbines, although I know the DSN ones well as my mum and Dad are in DSJ and I drive past it a lot.
Our cottage is really modern. New fitted kitchen and spa bath - lush! Still loads of character with exposed beams, sloping walls and open fireplace. It's a good mix.

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Wed Nov 04, 2009 6:30 pm
I'm afraid anything other than gas central heating would put me off buying a house.

I live in a boring box on an estate - it was a new build when we bought it, I loved it then and I love it now. It's quiet and the neighbours are great. Nothing is too much trouble if anyone has a problem. We've had some great parties over the years as well - the best ones were always the spontaneous ones. It is economical to run and is warm. I'm close enough to everything if I need it.

The only places I would consider moving to would be somewhere right on the coast in the UK or somewhere hot abroad.

I think the wind turbines look lovely and would certainly welcome them close to me.
Bob Marley.

angelrainbow

Post by angelrainbow » Thu Nov 05, 2009 8:18 am
I can honestly say the one time I lived on an estate was the most miserable 3 years of my life. You can't be private, there are too many dogs trying to savage you, brattish children running riot while their parents don't do anything to stop them, parties are held that go on too long and too loud, never anywhere to park for guests etc etc Also had the misfortune to live next door to a real neighbour from hell..she was seriously deranged. She said some wicked things about us and was always trying to get us into trouble with some authority or another...to no avail, as we did nothing wrong, but the visits from council and social services were both upsetting and annoying.
NEVER again.

Skippy

Post by Skippy » Thu Nov 05, 2009 8:35 am
I don't know what sort of area you lived in, but it's definitely not like that in my road! Yes we have a couple of brats, but none of the others you mention!

angelrainbow

Post by angelrainbow » Thu Nov 05, 2009 12:53 pm
It was your typical newbuild estate, probably just under 10 years old now. Houses all looked neat and tidy, no burnt out cars on bricks or anything like that.
It wasn't even in an urban setting, it was a big village really..don't think it could be described as a town.
I guess it is the people who make an area what it is, but that in itself is the danger of estates. You don't know what you are letting yourself in for. They might be the nicest people or complete nut cases. We have all head of neighbour from hell stories of people rowing over fences, hedges or whatever so it must be fairly common to have fall outs.
I wouldn't take the risk again.

Shining

Post by Shining » Thu Nov 05, 2009 2:35 pm
Can't say I've ever lived on an estate that big..but probably AR knows the roughest place in my home town and I've lived off that road and it was certainly nowhere near as bad as what is described above. To be fair they were the best neighbours as they may commit crime elsewhere but never on their doorstep and the cameraderie between them was obvious.

angelrainbow

Post by angelrainbow » Thu Nov 05, 2009 4:28 pm
I have heard stories, Lesley! I think every town has their no go areas though.
I guess I was just unlucky really. Other people would have loved it though, snd fitted right in I'm sure. It just wasn't for me.
109 posts Page 4 of 8
Return to “money saving tips”