banks not dealing with companies that charge

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
9 posts Page 1 of 1

charliesbird

Post by charliesbird » Sun Sep 14, 2008 7:13 pm
I am being chased for payment by a major bank beause I am not meeting my loan payments - I should be paying them £330 per month but at the moment can only afford £50. When I spoke to them (Barclays) and advised them I am making a contributon to my payments whilst I am seeking professional help from an IVA company they advised that most banks will not deal with IVA companies that charge a fee to help you with your debt. They did say they would look at my case more favourably if I was using the the CCCS because it is a government funded non profit making organisation.

I have written to all my creditors and am paying them all a much reduced amount whilst I am deciding what to do or who to use but have been doing this for 3 months and am now in the position where I have to decide which company to use. But now I am worried that an IVA would not be successful because most of the money I owe is to banks?

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Sun Sep 14, 2008 7:19 pm
That's absolute rubbish!

IVA's are approved on a case by case basis, regardless of who you use. You probably spoke to someone in a call centre who doesn't have a clue and was trying to get more money out of you.

To choose an ip, why not visit www.iva.com where there are reviews of companies. Melanie Giles, who posts on here, also comes highly recommended.

As to it's success - most of my debts were to banks rather than cards and mine was approved.
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.
http://kallis3.blogs.iva.co.uk

charliesbird

Post by charliesbird » Sun Sep 14, 2008 7:23 pm
thanks jan - I wondered if it was just the bank trying to stop me from going down the iva route - maybe it was

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Sun Sep 14, 2008 7:28 pm
It's possible. There are so many companies and individual IP's out there to choose from.

My IVA is through Payplan, who are also funded by the creditors, but at no time was I ever told which company to use.

Some companies do charge fees to set an IVA up, they are usually intermediaries who will pass you on to an IP. I would avoid those as they will cost you money. You need to speak directly to an IP.
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.
http://kallis3.blogs.iva.co.uk

Viki.W

Post by Viki.W » Sun Sep 14, 2008 7:29 pm
Probably charliesbird, if you stick around you'll learn lots of things and be prepared for them when you next speak. X
If you would like to talk to me about your debt problems, please visit:
http://www.vincentbond.com/about_us_Viki_Warbrooke.asp

Soulgrowth

Post by Soulgrowth » Sun Sep 14, 2008 9:32 pm
They're just trying it on and trying to worry you.

With such an important thing as you are doing entering into an IVA is is crucial that you work with a professional, and this is bound, absolutely rightly, to incur fees.

Good luck

Debbie
Debbie

MelanieGiles

Industry Expert
Post by MelanieGiles » Sun Sep 14, 2008 9:51 pm
Kallis is absolutely spot on, and let me tell you that there are no companies that offer a free of charge service - only a couple who claim to!
Regards, Melanie Giles, Insolvency Practitioner

charliesbird

Post by charliesbird » Mon Sep 15, 2008 12:17 am
thank you all for your answers - very helpful

stressed_suzanne

Post by stressed_suzanne » Mon Sep 15, 2008 8:46 am
charliesbird wrote:

When I spoke to them (Barclays) and advised them I am making a contributon to my payments whilst I am seeking professional help from an IVA company they advised that most banks will not deal with IVA companies that charge a fee to help you with your debt. They did say they would look at my case more favourably if I was using the the CCCS because it is a government funded non profit making organisation.
Hi Charliesbird [:)] MBNA told me exactly the same thing, and then didn't bother to vote, so I really wouldn't worry [:)]
Suzanne
9 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”