At Last I'm Posting Having Watched for Ages !

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
23 posts Page 1 of 2

sloggedthroughit

Post by sloggedthroughit » Fri Sep 05, 2008 5:09 pm
Hi there...
I just wanted to post,having watched the forum for ages and having waited till now to register and say my Piece !
I started an IVA in 2002 with a well known IP who has shifted me from one office to anoher and finally to SYnergie who he sold up to last year.I held back from posting because I didnt want to tempt fate, but I have ONE MORE PAYMENT TO GO !!!!!
I have decided to post because I want to let you guys who have just started or who are only a little way in, know that it can be done with very little help indeed, as long as you stay focussed and keep on an even keel you too can do it.
I owed £50K on loans C Cards and overdrafts and I have been paying back 90p in the pound....doesnt take a rocket scientist to work out that my wife and I upped our payments to as much as we could afford, and have been working flat out for all this time, whilst getting our daughter through Junior and Primary schools.I was even a school Governor all this time, something I wanted to do and which made me not even dream of B.R. We have lived off 2 debit cards and a basic Cheque account in that time and have become complete converts to Aldi and Lidl ,and actually eat better now than we ever did before !
We are not wasteful now and really appreciate money and know that when the last payment is made we will never take another C Card or loan for something we dont need, and will continue to drive around in modest older cars.
I see plenty of other people who are in the situation we were in because I work in TV, and we have had people onour programme who have suffered their spouses comitting suicide simply because there was nowhere to turn....If only more people knew about the support you guys offer to each other...you should all be very proud..

If your wondering how I did it, I managed to up my payments year on year, NEVER missed a payment, paid 50% of overtime in and managed to avoid the dreaded Equity Release cause through a very small loan from my Brother in Law, who I shall have paid back by Christmas.

I wont be going mad with the money I shall not have to pay in in future because I have learnt th true value of money and debt.

If anyone has any questions do ask, but I think I have covered it all....
Best Regards...."Slogged Through It"
! I hate credit cards !

angelrainbow

Post by angelrainbow » Fri Sep 05, 2008 5:12 pm
Welcome to the forum and thanks for sharing your story. I for one would love to see more from people on 'the other side'! Well done you on having just one payment to go!!!
Completion Certificate received September 2012.

Jan01

Post by Jan01 » Fri Sep 05, 2008 5:14 pm
Well done on almost completing your IVA. Your post proves it can be done.
I have 18months to go and can't wait. Like you I don't want another credit card or any form of credit.

Jan
Nothing you can buy feels as good as not being in debt.

Viki.W

Post by Viki.W » Fri Sep 05, 2008 5:15 pm
Wow sloggedthroughit, you did really well. Congratulations, one more payment, you must be over the moon. Please keep posting as you will be a great help for others. Good luck. X
If you would like to talk to me about your debt problems, please visit:
http://www.vincentbond.com/about_us_Viki_Warbrooke.asp

ianmillington

Post by ianmillington » Fri Sep 05, 2008 5:15 pm
Very, very nice to read a success story from time to time. Well done and thank you.

Ian
Ian Millington
Insolvency Director
PDHL Ltd (formerly Personal Debt Helpline Ltd)
www.pdhl.co.uk

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Fri Sep 05, 2008 5:18 pm
Welcome from me too, and congratulations on the end of your IVA. It's great to see somoeone come out the other side. I hope I will be in your shoes one day.

Keep posting as I am sure we will all have questions to ask you.
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.
http://kallis3.blogs.iva.co.uk

sloggedthroughit

Post by sloggedthroughit » Fri Sep 05, 2008 5:26 pm
Blimey....You Guys are Quick to respond !
I just wanted you all to realise it can be done, and I think you should hear it from the horses mouth as it were !
! I hate credit cards !

Julie

Post by Julie » Fri Sep 05, 2008 5:30 pm
Hi and thank you for your post. With all the problems we seem to be seeking answers from its always good to read a positive post like yours.

Can I ask, did you tell many people about the debt? It seems an occurring point on here that "we can't talk about this to anyone".

Well done for getting through it - I can't wait for 2012 when hubby's IVA will be complete.

freelili

Post by freelili » Fri Sep 05, 2008 5:43 pm
Well done, must feel fantastic to have slogged through five years.

Although I have read this many times and also written it on my blogg, I dont think I am the same person I was before and I feel that my journey has changed me for the better in terms of how I value things and people, not money or goods.

Debt on the other hand has destroyed my life in many other areas and I can never find an answer to that. I do try though.
Last edited by freelili on Fri Sep 05, 2008 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LILY

http://freelili.blogs.iva.co.uk

I asked God for an answer, I have to live with his reply.
Exsisto an angelus quod planto quispiam sentio melior.

sloggedthroughit

Post by sloggedthroughit » Fri Sep 05, 2008 5:46 pm
Re: Telling People about it....
At the start It was me and the missus only, its in my name but her wage is taken into consideration as part of our monthly incomings...
After a year I had told my Older Sisters ( married with kids.) and Father and Mother ( Both now over 68 and divorced )
Everyone was stunned but pleased I told them, yes we were ashamed and needn't have been because they were really good about it having seen we were doing the decent thing....I am pretty sure I was one of the first to have a 90p in the £1 to pay back....
Now my close colleagues at work know, and I am sure they have worked out the value of debt, and they too are quietly impressed I think.. It has aswered some of their questions about why we never went out, had very basic trips away and insist on driving a 12 year old volvo with 220K on the clock. My Wife has been a pillar of srength through this, and even our eleven year old daughter, who has grown up with it has learnt the value of money. She never asks for presents, (although we always manage a little something if we go without),and she is adamant that she never wants to get into debt.
I am hopeful that being debt free we will be able to help her on her feet financially in years to come, and that she wont get a bank loan and credit cards as soon as she is 17 like I did...that was the start of the slippery slope for me.....Darren
! I hate credit cards !

Wizzard

Post by Wizzard » Fri Sep 05, 2008 6:10 pm
Great Post Slogged ... and may I add my welcome too
When I was young I was called a rugged individualist
When I was in my fifties I was considered eccentric
Here I am doing and saying the same things I did back then and now I'm labelled senile

size5

Industry Expert

Post by size5 » Fri Sep 05, 2008 6:42 pm
Indeed, an inspirational post all round. Well done.

Regards.
Cert DR
23+ years in debt advice
I do not post for anyone other than myself

Follow my tweets at http://twitter.com/debtmastersize5

debtmountain

Post by debtmountain » Fri Sep 05, 2008 6:57 pm
Fantastic Post Darren and Brilliant News that you have only one payment left [:D][:D] What a great feeling that must be [:)]

Please keep Posting.

xx
IVA accepted 13/11/2008..17 payments down,55 to go..

Skippy

Post by Skippy » Fri Sep 05, 2008 7:06 pm
Welcome from me as well, and congratulations for (almost!) completing your IVA - it's good to hear positive stories for a change.

Lisa2009

Post by Lisa2009 » Fri Sep 05, 2008 7:13 pm
Welcome to the forum from me too.

What a brilliant inspirational post. It goes to show people starting out that with true grit and determination, it can be achieved.

I bet you cant wait to make your final payment.

You should be extremely proud of yourself and also of your family for helping you through it.

All the very best in your debt free future. You really deserve it xxx
http://mrsskint.blogs.iva.co.uk/ 'Our Story'

Nil carborundum illegitimi
23 posts Page 1 of 2
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”