7 Long Years Later!!!

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
10 posts Page 1 of 1

louise492

Post by louise492 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:46 am
It is finally over!!!

We received our Completion Certificates yesterday :D :D

To anyone starting out on their IVA journey, there is light at the end of the tunnel, we were unfortunate that Northern Rock were one of our creditors who we had a small amount of arrears with, therefore instead of the standard 5 years one we started straight away with a 6 year IVA!! We had a very bumpy start with many of you knowing the feeling of stress and worry of creditors ringing, then appointments with IP via phone as my husband was self employed via an agency at the time we had to drive the 7 hour round trip with a one year old to the Payplan head-quarters in Grantham to have a meeting as this is standard practice with them, well certainly at that time in 2012. Around this time our house was broken into and my car and a few items were stolen!! We felt our world was crumpling around us! But we held it together dusted ourselves down and carried on, one step at a time, only ever seeing the IVA as stages year by year! In the beginning it is a relief to not have the phone ringing or letters coming in, so that for us was a big thing, before we knew it our first Annual Review was due, payslips entered and few changes made payments increased.

All carried on well we just kept our heads down worked hard and ploughed all our strength into making it work, in 2014 we decided to add to our family and spoke with Payplan and agreed would be ok, only to be one week into my maternity leave to be made redundant and my employer gone AWOL I had to wait 6 months in order to receive any SMP!! During this a few phone calls to Payplan we were allowed to make token payments while we recovered. Another variation meeting was held and we had another year added onto our term, which we had no problem with as we had another beautiful son for this and we were still in the IVA and not had it failed.

Over the next few Annual Reviews went smoothly, my husband gained employment and came off agency work, most reviews we had a slight increase in our payments (we were in interlocking IVA's) but always managed. It has taken a lot of planning and control but made it work. Most reviews needed only payslips and P60's a few occasions somethings were questioned especially in the last 2 years such as fuel bills for both our cars but due to work distances and fuel price increases was justified also our Virgin Media bill, which I justified as I was unable to take my kids to the cinema as treats often therefore did films at home that was in our package again this was allowed.

Over the years with Payplan have been a good as far as things go, as long as you keep up your payments you only will hear from them at annual review time unless you contact them in between for any reason. Around September time our equity was addressed and we were found to not have any as some big improvements are required to our home which of course drove the price down, we had a local evaluation done. Towards the end of our IVA's I gained full time employment as our second son started school and I started full time one month after. I contacted Payplan and informed them off this and sent in new payslips and was told I would hear back from them. Only I didn't until It was reaching the end of our IVA (you may remember I posted a few questions regarding this) we were hit with big payments but predicted this we had been setting aside for this. My husband was due to finish first at the beginning of Feb and then me beginning of March. We made the additional payment for my husbands and then with and extra two pay days were able to complete mine on time (we certainly pulled right back with household bills luckily Council Tax and Water bill break helped us)

We completed the PPI agreement letter for any future claims and returned them asap, and then waited........

Then yesterday was the day that those two all important letters dropped on the door mat :D :D which was a fantastic turn around so well done to Payplan for that!

The relief and sense of achievement was over whelming we had done it!!!
Many obstacles / life happenings along the way:
1 x House break in
2 x Redundancies
1 x Shed break in
1 x Baby
1 x Family trauma

But we got there in the end and marriage still very much in tact thankfully!! Now onward and upwards to our new debt free life and so far it feels amazing, I haven't posted much on the forum but have checked in most weeks and sought advice, so for that I am eternally grateful to you all :) well done on all the work you experts do on her as for many this is a lonely journey full of questions and worries.

Thank you all again

Louise492 :D xx

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:59 am
Fantastic Post !! Well done and congratulations :)

Not an easy ride, by any means, but the lessons and new habits will set you up to go forwards now, debt free.

Onward and Upward.
My opinions are merely that .. opinions based on experience. Always seek professional advice.
IVA Completed 23rd July 2013 .... C.C. 10th January 2014

sue934

Post by sue934 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:53 pm
Well done - fantastic result after what sounds like a very bumpy journey!
Here’s to a happy, debt-free future to you all! :D

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:15 pm
Brilliant post! So good to hear a positive post.
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.
http://kallis3.blogs.iva.co.uk

MerlinL14

Post by MerlinL14 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:29 pm
Congrats Louise, it must have been hard over 7 years. But I bet you can see the rewards already, well done and good luck in your debt free future.
Last Payment made 04/12/14. Completion Certificate 25/7/15. IVA company GT. No Issues

Ryan

Industry Expert

Post by Ryan » Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:57 pm
Great news, congratulations.

Regards
Ryan Radford
IVA Mortgage Expert
Zebra Money Centre

IVA Mortgage advice needed? Looking at Right to Buy and completed IVA still on credit files ?

Contact me at http://www.ivamortgageexpert.co.uk or via the expert page

Allywally

Post by Allywally » Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:22 pm
Uplifting post, well done :D

abbiesmum2003

Post by abbiesmum2003 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:45 pm
Wow what a post!!!
Amazing!
Congratulations! What a journey you and the family have been through. But hopefully its made you stronger and more resilient and better for it.
Foggy.....you know this should be this months post of the month!

luluj

Forum Expert

Post by luluj » Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:15 am
Thank you for sharing- without doubt a journey to remember that has helped turn
your life around ... good luck going forward xx
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt

There is a solution for everyone .... Just need to stay positive !

Look at my blog "All I wanted was a baby"

Chappie

Post by Chappie » Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:47 pm
Congratulations,

I completed mine after 11 long years. The relief is immense.

Good luck for your debt free future
10 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”